Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Beginner Camera Recommendations

BKHunter

I would like to start taking some pictures while out in the field and also take better pictures of the animals I harvest. Also start messing around a little with some amateur photography. Can anyone recommend a camera that wont break the bank but takes good pictures and is a good starter camera?

You may want to give an approximation of what you would like to spend. The Nikon D 3300 has a reasonably small camera body so it would fit into a pack with out taking up to much space. It has the ability to be used with many high quality lenses if you decide to grow in photography. Here is a starter package with a lens that should work for most of the basic harvest photos.

ttps://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023353-REG/nikon_1532_d3300_dslr_camera_with.html

I have a Canon G12 that is probably for sale following one season of use. It takes great images, has an extra batter, a big flash, a 1.4X teleconverter, and a charger. I can assure you that when I decide to sell something the price is right. Many of the images you saw here from the 2013-2014 seasons were taken with that camera.

I have a Canon T3 and it gets the job done. A full size DSLR so not going to be shaving any ounces with it but I like the quality of the pics and it was relatively affordable off craigslist.

The video quality is why I went with a DSLR. My wife and I share the camera and we were able to write it off as she uses it with her business. Most of the pics I have posted on this site have been from my IPhone. I'm going to make a conscious effort to take better pictures this year.

The G12 would be a great camera to learn with and a great backup later. It isn't an SLR, but it has a lot of manual control abilities to help you learn photography. Then, when you step into an SLR it won't be quite the learning curve. I happen to have a Nikon similar to that canon G12 that I travel with to save weight. It's not as good as my SLR's, yet it still gives me great control over what the camera chooses to do.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back