Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Custer State Park SD Bison Hunt

I am still putting kids through college :) so it will be a savings thing for me too.....we should start planning though, maybe get a couple others to go with!!

I may be interested, but like you and Cush, I will need to start saving up for a year or two.

Well heck I'm sitting on 2 points but man the price is getting high. Might have to check a ranch hunt myself. I was hoping to go in 2 years and take my son along. Heck I even bought a 45/70 when Walmart was giving them away

SDbisonTaxi1.jpg
The Taxidermist sent me a couple cell phone pics of the finished product. It should arrive here on Tuesday. I used David Hale out of Whitewood South Dakota for the taxidermy. I had him do a shoulder mount and the skull and tan the back half of the hide. Shipped to my door it was $2315 for everything. I cant wait to see it.

Nice looking mount and not a bad price considering to your door.
I was going to do a European mount and get the hide tanned, but the wife wants me to get a shoulder mount to go with the rest of the critters in the "room of death" as she calls it.
I should receive my hunt date and other information in the next few days. I can't wait. I hope that I can get my requested date (a Monday) because I'm trying to make the buffalo trip then return to WV to partake in the Whitetail rut :)

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to tan the hide. I'm going to send mine to sebring tanning in Fl (http://www.sebringcustomtanning.com/). They did my gator and do a fantastic job. They said a buffalo with hair on will cost around $200-$250. You have to clean it and salt it before you ship it.

Most people wanted around 700-1500 for this.

Has anyone checked their meat on the plane? I'm weighing my options vs renting a car and driving it home. I was told to plan for about 250lbs of boned out meat. Then another 50lbs for hide/skull. I'm looking at $460 in checked bag fees if I ship my muzzle-loader home UPS.

for those that don't know, If you draw this you better be ready to drop some cash.... to the tune of about 6k if I recall right for the trophy and about half that for the non-trophy.

View attachment 73987
The Taxidermist sent me a couple cell phone pics of the finished product. It should arrive here on Tuesday. I used David Hale out of Whitewood South Dakota for the taxidermy. I had him do a shoulder mount and the skull and tan the back half of the hide. Shipped to my door it was $2315 for everything. I cant wait to see it.

I send all of my clients to David Hale as well for their mounts and have never had a complaint with the finished product. I do recommend him.

For anyone headed up this week post some pictures as you can. Looking forward to the experience.

I have been here since Sunday evening and am staying until Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. The wife and I are staying at creek side lodge in the park for a mini vacation.it is the park off season so we have it basically to ourselves. We have seen a ton of derr, bison, antelope, and turkeys.

It has been pretty cold with a feels like temp of 6 degrees this morning.

CSP roadblock yesterday morning

5cDLkk.jpg

Lone Bull yesterday evening before dark

IFElrU.jpg

Congrats on that bull! How !any points and years did it take to draw? I am trying to convince my wife that the non trophy hunt would be funner than moose. Haha.

Congrats on that bull! How !any points and years did it take to draw? I am trying to convince my wife that the non trophy hunt would be funner than moose. Haha.

I had max points I believe 4 years. I hunted moose in Maine 5 years ago and I would go moose hunting again hands down over the non-trophy bison. The bison meat may better but the moose meat is excellent as well.

My buddy and I were going to start putting in for points for this "hunt" this spring just as an excuse to do a trip together and hang out. A little research showed me that starting 3 points behind would mean many, many years before we drew and probably multiple tag price increases. So, we decided to stick to turkeys instead. I'm jealous of those with a freezer full of bison meat, that's for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back