Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Weapon of choice was my 30-06 I planned to use my .338 Win Mag that I used for my Wyoming bison but I kind of wanted to add another species to my 06 list. The shot was only 42 yards and the dial on the scope on my 30-06 goes down to 100 yards and the .338 only dials down to 200. I wanted to do another neck shot so I wanted to be as accurate as possible and I'm more comfortable with the 06 at that range. It went right down but was still trying to move a little so it got an insurance shot just to be on the safe side. We brought the meat back in quarters, actually 6 pieces as the front shoulders were removed to allow it to cool quicker. It's at the butcher near my home now, 950 pounds hanging. I usually cut up my own deer, elk, antelope etc. but a buffalo is a big job and I'm not a very good butcher. I left the head & hide at a taxidermist over there. The taxidermist in Wyoming that I used on the last one is no longer in business so I used one over there that a friend has used for years. When I dropped it off at the taxidermist he was working on the hide from another big bull from a ranch hunt that had badly injured the hunter when it got back on it's feet and ran over top the hunter breaking ribs and puncturing a lung and resulting in a life-flight ride to the ER. I guess where a lot of problems arise is from the way the spine runs, it's very deceiving. The bones on the top of the spine that support the hump are up to two feet long and heavy bone. If the bullet hits that, it's connected to the spinal cord so the animal goes right down. But because no damage was actually done to the spinal cord a moment later it's up and may not be in a good mood.

Awesome!!! Enjoy the meat. We aged our 7 1/2 year cow 14 days at home and she was very tender.

Congrats!! That hunt is definitely on my bucket list!!
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2016 (but I'm still damned sexy)

I am pretty sure I read on the site you can ONLY use a firearm .24 cal and providing atleast 2,200lbs of energy at the muzzle on this hunt

curious: how much of a hunt did it feel like?

bison are an intriguing species to me, but don't like the looks of a lot of the ranch hunts where it appears as though you drive out, walk over 2 hills make a stalk and shoot.

i know the odds are not in my favor with SD or some of the other limited draw bison hunts but worth it if it's more exciting than shooting an angry beef cow in the pasture

Congrats to both of you! that is an iconic species of game animal that not many people can say they have hunted. Pretty darn cool. Not to mention the plethora of excellent meat!

Hope I can join the ranks of wild bison hunters some day!
    "there is no replacement for displacement"

Name:  IMG_0511.JPG
Views: 587
Size:  175.4 KB
    Just finished my Custer State Park (South Dakota) non-trophy bull bison hunt as you can see. Had some meatloaf from it this evening in facts and the best thing I can say is that the wife ate it, she doesn't usually eat wild game.

It was fun and I would do it again because it is a great way to fill the freezer with some grass fed nearly organic red meat. As far as calling it a hunt i think you need to understand bison. The trick has always been finding the bison. I think our native brothers from centuries past would tell you the same thing. Once found it is more of a shoot than a hunt since bison have no reason to be afraid of much.

If I do it again I would choose a rifle with open sights either a muzzleloader or lever action with open sights. I would try to get within 50 yards and put the animal down with a shot to the head. I did shoot mine in the neck but at 150 yards since my 300 win mag is sighted in at 200.

The non trophy bulls are 2 1/2 year olds, the herd manager estimated mine at 1050 lbs. A friend of a friend shot one a couple days later and they thought it was about 1300 lbs, the herd manager thought it was a late calf and actually 3 1/2 years old that didn't show up on their census until it was a year old.

Dropped the hide off yesterday to get it tanned into a robe and today worked on the skull myself. I got the biggest galvanized tub I could find at the local hardware but can't get the whole head in it. Did manage to get the horns off. May make a quick trip tomorrow to another store to see if I can find a larger tub and do some boiling. I have a bear skull from this fall I need to throw in the pot as well.

These young bulls have what they call goal post horns as you can see in the previous post, they take up a lot of room.

Quote Originally Posted by jzeck2 View Post
    Name:  IMG_0511.JPG
Views: 587
Size:  175.4 KB
    Just finished my Custer State Park (South Dakota) non-trophy bull bison hunt as you can see. Had some meatloaf from it this evening in facts and the best thing I can say is that the wife ate it, she doesn't usually eat wild game.

It was fun and I would do it again because it is a great way to fill the freezer with some grass fed nearly organic red meat. As far as calling it a hunt i think you need to understand bison. The trick has always been finding the bison. I think our native brothers from centuries past would tell you the same thing. Once found it is more of a shoot than a hunt since bison have no reason to be afraid of much.

If I do it again I would choose a rifle with open sights either a muzzleloader or lever action with open sights. I would try to get within 50 yards and put the animal down with a shot to the head. I did shoot mine in the neck but at 150 yards since my 300 win mag is sighted in at 200.

The non trophy bulls are 2 1/2 year olds, the herd manager estimated mine at 1050 lbs. A friend of a friend shot one a couple days later and they thought it was about 1300 lbs, the herd manager thought it was a late calf and actually 3 1/2 years old that didn't show up on their census until it was a year old.
    Congrats! I agree on the quality of tablefare. My wife really would like to see me shoot another. That pic looks very much like the area I shot mine in last year...

Shot it in the Southeast corner of the park, where it borders Wind Cave National Park. The bison are still in that area from the round up in October.

Not exact same place, but they do resemble...

within a mile I would say, beautiful prairie.

13. Default

I just found out I drew a non-trophy bison tag. I'm very excited and curious about what the cost ended up being to use their butcher and taxidermist?

What did it run you to have the hide tanned and shipped? What about having the meat packed up and shipped?

I'm coming from Houston so trying to figure out if I can fly up and have it done shipped back to me or if driving up is a must.

14. Default

Those pictures make we want to start building points for a future application. Need to start saving up.

Quote Originally Posted by robie View Post
    I just found out I drew a non-trophy bison tag. I'm very excited and curious about what the cost ended up being to use their butcher and taxidermist?

What did it run you to have the hide tanned and shipped? What about having the meat packed up and shipped?

I'm coming from Houston so trying to figure out if I can fly up and have it done shipped back to me or if driving up is a must.
    Unless things have changed since I went a few years back, the park doesn't have a "butcher" or "taxidermist". They will transport them to a nearby processor and/or taxidermist of your choosing for a fee, which varies depending on how far away it is. IIRC when I checked with the local processors, they were running about $3/pound for a cut/wrap of a skinned carcass with shipping on top of that. At least for me, it didn't pencil out especially once I found a guy to cut/grind/wrap the whole shebang for $150!

Wow they almost doubled the fee to $3250! I missed the deadline and my biggest gripe is they keep changing the application dates. in 2014 it was July-Aug, in 2015 it was Nov - Dec, in 2016 it was October and not they moved it to August.
    Q: Why does Snoop Dogg need an umbrella?
    A: Fo Drizzle

Quote Originally Posted by MNHunter View Post
    Wow they almost doubled the fee to $3250! I missed the deadline and my biggest gripe is they keep changing the application dates. in 2014 it was July-Aug, in 2015 it was Nov - Dec, in 2016 it was October and not they moved it to August.
    I didn't realize the fee had gotten that high. At that price, any future non-trophy bison hunts I do will be on a ranch.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1_pointer View Post
    Unless things have changed since I went a few years back, the park doesn't have a "butcher" or "taxidermist". They will transport them to a nearby processor and/or taxidermist of your choosing for a fee, which varies depending on how far away it is. IIRC when I checked with the local processors, they were running about $3/pound for a cut/wrap of a skinned carcass with shipping on top of that. At least for me, it didn't pencil out especially once I found a guy to cut/grind/wrap the whole shebang for $150!
    Ahh ok. So they recommend people to use but charge you to take it to them. Do they have a place for me to skin it and breakdown the meat? $150 seems like a hell of a deal to work on about 300 pounds of meat.

At $3 a pound that's $900 to cut and wrap then I'm curious what they charge to ship it. Driving is looking more and more like my only real option.

19. Default

I didn't realize the fee had gotten that high. At that price, any future non-trophy bison hunts I do will be on a ranch.
    I was a little irritated to see they increased it that much. I won't be applying again for bison in SD.

Ahh ok. So they recommend people to use but charge you to take it to them. Do they have a place for me to skin it and breakdown the meat? $150 seems like a hell of a deal to work on about 300 pounds of meat.

At $3 a pound that's $900 to cut and wrap then I'm curious what they charge to ship it. Driving is looking more and more like my only real option.
    Its going to be very expensive. I can't recall exactly what I paid to ship my elk meat home from AZ but it was many hundreds of dollars. Best bet is driving for sure.

Yeah. At $3k I'm out. Pretty bummed about that too.

They do have a place to hang it for skinning, both inside and outside. IIRC, shipping was going to be about what it cost to process. Unless you are just totally adverse to the drive, I'd say drive. I guess you could fly up and rent a truck for the return trip. Probably wouldn't be any cheaper than driving both ways, but would be faster.

23. Default

They do have a place to hang it for skinning, both inside and outside. IIRC, shipping was going to be about what it cost to process. Unless you are just totally adverse to the drive, I'd say drive. I guess you could fly up and rent a truck for the return trip. Probably wouldn't be any cheaper than driving both ways, but would be faster.
    I'm leaning towards flying up and driving home at this point. I asked for a Friday hunt so hopefully they are OK with that. I'll just have to hit walmart up for some coolers.

I have a covered bed in my fake truck, so I just threw the quarters on a tarp and drove. Temps were more than amendable to keeping the meat cool. You'll either need some really big coolers or have to bone the meat as I don't think the a quarter would fit in my 120qt cooler. They are big, even the cows.

Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

25. Default

I have really enjoyed reading all of everybody's experiences. I too drew a non trophy bull for this year. I will be driving from WV about 22 hours each way. I'm hoping for a mid week date as my wife and I plan on making a week of it in the park and surrounding area minus two days each way for travel. I built a cooler a few years back for a western Colorado elk hunt and it worked great with 300lbs of cut/wrapped meat with dry ice for the two day 26 hour trip home.
    For you guys that have been on the Custer hunt what are some things you did for the trip that worked well and what things would you do different if you went again?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast