Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Custer State Park SD Bison Hunt

Just wanted to post a thread about my Custer State Park Cow Bison hunt in SD in February 2016. If you have any questions about the hunt please let me know and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have about the application process and the hunt itself. Visit http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/hunting/ for application info on both trophy and non-trophy hunt applications. The hunt is incredible and the meat you bring home to eat is as good as it gets.

Regards,

Drew Williams
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice!!! I was there the same month for the same reason, but had a bit more sunshine...

congrats. I would absolutely love to do that hunt.

drew
    what did you use for your hunt gun or bow how many days was your hunt
    thanks Robert

5. Default

It is a one day hunt for the non-trophy bison. It is a guided hunt per state law with a Custer State Park biologist/representative. I used a 300 win mag for my hunt with 180 grain bullets.

Man, I would love to fill a freezer and get a rug from one of those big shaggy buggers Congrats
    "Never apologize for being a Patriot!"

how many years did it take you to get the tag? Looks fun!
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it" -Norman Maclean
    "Segments of tightly stacked topo lines are the 'Stairway to Elk Heaven'"- Randy Newberg

8. Default

I drew the non-trophy cow tag with 2 preference points as a non-resident. I think the points required will only creep up as time goes on. I was lucky that I found this and started applying on year 1 that SD switched it bison application process to the current system, so I was a max point holder when I drew the tag.

9. Default

I drew the Trophy tag this year as a non-resident with 2 points going into the draw. I can't wait. I drew the any bison tag in Wyoming a few years ago and if this hunt is half as much fun it will be awesome.

10. Default

Well, I got my hunt dates today. I'm betting there is nothing like South Dakota bison hunting in mid December. I'm guessing they will be haired up good by then. I can't wait.

Congrats can't wait to hear all about it. This hunt is on my list

Good luck, it will be a shaggy beast by then, beautiful robe it will have. The meat is great if aged properly. If you like grass fed beef then don't trim all of the fat.

Did you use a processor in SD or bring the buffalo home and do it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by sigpros View Post
    Did you use a processor in SD or bring the buffalo home and do it yourself?
    I brought my home in quarters and had in processed. Found a deer processor who did it for $150. Money very well spent IMO...

Drew a non-trophy bull tag this fall. I'm waiting on hunt dates but mine will be in January or February, 2017. Wondering if anyone has used a bow and looking for information on broadheads and arrow weights.

Congrats! It's a fun hunt. I used a rifle, but on the right day think a bow would be doable. The day I went it was W I N D Y, which had them a bit skittish. I shot mine at 140yds.

I'll take a rifle with me just in case. Have hunted Custer State Park before and know all about wind being a South Dakota Resident. Would like to get close though.

Well I snagged one of the Walmart clearance 45/70's so I'm good on firepower now!

19. Default

If you are going to try it with a bow, I would let the park know that ahead of time and try to schedule your hunt early. The bison can be a bit skittish after the first hunt of the year. This hunt is not a gimme with a bow but this is your hunt brother, you define how you want to do it. I was happy to do mine with a rifle. Bison are really tough animals and even with a 300 win mag at 150 yards mine didn't just drop. It went about 20-30 yards before laying down and expiring very quickly. Good luck on your hunt!

This definitely has my mind going to work....lol I wonder how I can get my wife to agree to this after she already agreed to letting me do a Wyoming cow moose hunt.....
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, handguns, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2016 (but I'm still damned sexy)

How many tags are allocated to non-residents? I was reading at the F&G page and says residents get tags then IF LEFTOVERS can go to a non-resident. Looks like two of you in this thread drew as non-residents so must not be much resident demand. Or, am I missing a key sentence when reading about trophy and non-trophy bison draws in SD?

"License Eligibility: Both residents and nonresidents may apply. There are 15 non-trophy bull bison licenses available. Seven of these licenses are set aside for residents only. The remaining 8 licenses are available to both residents and nonresidents. There are 5 cow bison licenses available. Two of these licenses are set aside for residents only. The remaining three licenses are available to both residents and nonresidents."

23. Default My Custer bull.

Name:  Bison Resized.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  109.6 KB

Thats awsome. Alot of good eating right there.

Halo,

Great bull. As usual I am one point behind. What was your weapon of choice? How far was the shot and what happened. I was hoping to do that hunt with my flintlock .54; any idea how the park rangers would feel about that?

Would love to hear more details about the hunt. I know the park gets it out of the field for you but did you have it processed? Are there better options than others for processing and hide tanning/head mounting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast