Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Custer State Park SD Bison Hunt

drwbuckshot

Just wanted to post a thread about my Custer State Park Cow Bison hunt in SD in February 2016. If you have any questions about the hunt please let me know and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have about the application process and the hunt itself. Visit http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/hunting/ for application info on both trophy and non-trophy hunt applications. The hunt is incredible and the meat you bring home to eat is as good as it gets.

Regards,

Drew Williams

Attachments

• IMG_6162.jpg
    IMG_6162.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 4,914
Very nice!!! I was there the same month for the same reason, but had a bit more sunshine... ;)

It is a one day hunt for the non-trophy bison. It is a guided hunt per state law with a Custer State Park biologist/representative. I used a 300 win mag for my hunt with 180 grain bullets.

I drew the non-trophy cow tag with 2 preference points as a non-resident. I think the points required will only creep up as time goes on. I was lucky that I found this and started applying on year 1 that SD switched it bison application process to the current system, so I was a max point holder when I drew the tag.

I drew the Trophy tag this year as a non-resident with 2 points going into the draw. I can't wait. I drew the any bison tag in Wyoming a few years ago and if this hunt is half as much fun it will be awesome.

Well, I got my hunt dates today. I'm betting there is nothing like South Dakota bison hunting in mid December. I'm guessing they will be haired up good by then. I can't wait.

Good luck, it will be a shaggy beast by then, beautiful robe it will have. The meat is great if aged properly. If you like grass fed beef then don't trim all of the fat.

Drew a non-trophy bull tag this fall. I'm waiting on hunt dates but mine will be in January or February, 2017. Wondering if anyone has used a bow and looking for information on broadheads and arrow weights.

Congrats! It's a fun hunt. I used a rifle, but on the right day think a bow would be doable. The day I went it was W I N D Y, which had them a bit skittish. I shot mine at 140yds.

I'll take a rifle with me just in case. Have hunted Custer State Park before and know all about wind being a South Dakota Resident. Would like to get close though.

If you are going to try it with a bow, I would let the park know that ahead of time and try to schedule your hunt early. The bison can be a bit skittish after the first hunt of the year. This hunt is not a gimme with a bow but this is your hunt brother, you define how you want to do it. I was happy to do mine with a rifle. Bison are really tough animals and even with a 300 win mag at 150 yards mine didn't just drop. It went about 20-30 yards before laying down and expiring very quickly. Good luck on your hunt!

This definitely has my mind going to work....lol I wonder how I can get my wife to agree to this after she already agreed to letting me do a Wyoming cow moose hunt.....:confused:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back