MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cameron Hanes

Is he over the top? Sure, but he's only portrayed our sport in a positive light as far as I know. One look at his Facebook page shows that he has over 200k followers. That's a lot of followers for someone in the hunting industry. He must be doing something right. For reference that's about 10 times more followers than Big Fin (disclaimer Big Fin is fairly new to Facebook. Hopefully he can catch up and pass Cam).

I'm sure he's a great guy! I, personally just can't stand to be around anyone with such a massive case of the look-at-me's!

Most everything he says or writes is just some humblebrag. He tosses in the "you are my inspiration" sometimes to keep people interested. He is in it for himself and the money....nothing else.

Seems like a pretty good guy for the most part, a little full of himself but have seen some of his Instagram posts something about raffling one of his bows off for cancer research or something like that, correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no idea why you guys would ever think he's full of himself.Screenshot_20160807-212632.jpg

He's a well intentioned guy, and can be very inspirational. He also has an incredibly odd self awareness and seems to hunt for reasons other than why most people on a site like this do.

He's not hurting anybody, and is very entertaining (for various reasons).

My only thought is that he strikes me as one of the Meatheads at the gym. Like so much so that he'd ask what I was pulling on my bow then reply with that's cool I'm pulling a full 80#. No biggie.

If he encourages people not to be beer drinking, road hunting fat piles of pud, and portraying hinting positively then I suppose he's doing a good thing.
I do think the Mountain Ops, conquer the mountain, keep hammering
Bravado being pushed in the hunting industry is a bit over the top.

I work out as much as I can, and hunting is my main motivation for doing it, but all these supplements, and focus on the fitness aspect is losing a lot of the message that needs portrayed.
You have to be in good shape to backpack hunt in the backcountry. But it doesn't make you a good hunter and being gym fit and mountain fit is not the same.
Too many guys are working out for aesthetics instead of practicality.

Listen to of Joe Rogan podcast with him to understand where he is coming from a little better. Its just hard to judge the man by looking at his instagram feed. He inspires alot of people to pursue a healthy lifestyle and to push your body to the physical/mental capabilities. Sure he may not be a outspoken about hunting issues like Steven Rinella or big Randy dog! but he gets people motivated to hunt.

Conservation is a "side effect" from hunting. Inspiring people who want to be fit and test their capabilities in the in the field is contributing to conservation in so many ways, licenses, 11% taxes on guns ammos bows, the list goes on. The biggest thing from these experiences is the spiritual bonds a person will connect with wildlife and nature. This creates an acknowledgement that these wild places are in danger of no longer being around for them individually or for their children's generation.

I know that from my own experience of teaching myself how to bow hunt 8 years ago. The first few years i just enjoyed it for the experience and meat. A passion developed. Soon I turned my 14ft alumnacraft into a duck boat with a blind, got a lab, started grouse hunting state forest, hunted whitetails in the boundary waters solo, hunting turkeys(but never shot one yet :[ ) t and flinging 22's to squirrels heads. From there I realized that all of these things I loved to do was all public land that has been fought by generations and generations before so I could enjoy it. I had to do my part. So I joined groups like BHA, Ducks unlimited, RMEF, NWTF who made it possible for me to figure out who I am and what my true passion is. It's all in the "stages of a hunter."

Cam Hanyes is a beast and makes other people want to pursue what he does and it gets them out into the field. Get my generation into the field and conservation will be there. Along with big biceps and protein powder.

When you drive across town and walk into Bowtech's Jim Shockey meet n greet with a handful of selfies and start asking people if they want your autograph, you have issues.
On the flip side, he inspires tons of people to get off the couch and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
I like his podcast and I've listened to him a bunch of times on Rogan. The truth is, he'd be this way whether anyone was was watching him or not. He's determined and would be hiking 100 lb rocks up mountains whether it was on Youtube or not. He's a much more positive character than say Uncle Ted, the slobbering dad on Wild Game Innovations or any other show like that.

I'm personally getting really tired of the whole "mountain athlete" push in hunting; especially bowhunting. I end up turning off or skipping 25% to 30% of the Gritty Bowmen for that very reason. I'm so not interested in the working out/mountain ops/wildernes athlete/crossfit/mountain runs that are so pervasive now that my eyes glaze over. But to each their own.

Emrah

I first noticed cam hanes when he started being a guest on Joe Rogan's podcast but he never really interested me as much as when joe did shows with steve rinella or remi warren. He just lacks the intellectual depth and curiosity that the other two have to really be interesting.

I think most of these guys have a "thing" in addition to being pro hunters. Rinella is/was a novelist(I'm bummed he hasn't written an actual novel in a while). Hanes is a fitness junkie.

I can't hate on a meathead like Cam because I am one, but I tend to think that if he had to choose between fitness and hunting he would choose the former. That's not a bad thing, just different than the hunting first mentality that a lot of other guys have.

I think I could have a beer and get along with steve, randy, or remi. I can't say that about Cam.

That podcast he did with Joe Rogan and John Dudley he came across as a total ass when he started to get upset when Dudley pointed out that you don't want to anchor with a thumb behind your neck like cam does. I'm not a big fan of people who lack the maturity to let someone make a point that contradicts them.

I read his book backcountry bowhunting and I give him some credit for being honest about being afraid when he starting doing solo hunts in the back country, but it is obvious that his ego has grown a lot since then.

I like him and his message, at least what I've heard and seen of him so far. I've never seen him say anything negative, yet. seems to be good for our sport or pastime whatever you want to call it. he seems to live healthy, doesn't drink and works hard. at some point isn't all social media a little narcissistic? I don't do social media but I watch his youtube videos from time to time and they are always motivating and entertaining to me. isn't going to make me run 100 mile marathons but he did help me to start practicing at twice the distance I'm willing to shoot at an animal. I try to practice at 80 yards now to make that 40 yard shot easy. here is a little fox news article that painted him in a positive light and that's good for us hunters

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/03/21/cam-hanes-interview.html

I enjoy listening to his podcasts, just because it's about hunting. I think he's way more into promoting the fitness than the hunting, but I'd say that he has motivated me to start exercising more to prepare for hunting season. That said, I do sense some arrogance by him in some of his podcasts. I definitely noticed when he cut off John Dudley, about thumb position when shooting. I was glad to hear when Dudley came back and made his point several minutes later.

Hunt talk, the meat eater podcast, along with Jay Scott's podcast are the best IMO about hunting topics such as Ethics, Conservation, preparation, practice, gear, etc.

His core message is good - but his constant delivery of hammering out selfies and self-promotion really detracts the message. He needs to branch out - both with topics and delivery. He could do some good with his large base of "followers".

I would venture that he turns off as many folks to hunting as he attracts with his persona.

He's okay. Respect the heck out of him he's as dedicated and as tough as they come. He seems to have a very addictive personality and he's chosen to be addicted to bowhunting. I also think he's a little bro-ish and has short man syndrome.

I couldn't do what he does, nor would I ever want to. But good for him for creating a personal brand that has gotten him enough recognition to fuel his passion financially.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back