Cameron Hanes

WBouldin

I was just wondering what you all thought of him? I've been listening to his podcast and he sounds like a pretty good dude and has good intentions. The endurance stuff he does is absolutely nuts but I respect it. I was a little bummed that on his last podcast I think it was he was listing out the people who he thinks are good influences in the hunting industry or people who still do it right and somehow Randy's name wasn't mentioned. :confused:

What are your guys' thoughts on him?

He is definitely dedicated to fitness. I just hope his joints hold up with all that punishment. Dude must have some Wolverine in him with an adamantium skeleton! I admire his dedication though.

He definitely has a drive, something a lot of people lack. I have noticed when he is on the Joe rogan podcast and Joe brings up Steve Rinella or the meat eater tv or Remi Warren Cameron Hanes acts like he has no clue who they are.

Seems like a good dude, but I don't care for his delivery and "message." Turing hunting into a competitive sport is lame. His theme has soured an entire generation of hunters who are completely disconnected from the true meaning of hunting and the personal experience it reflects. Maybe I'm way off in this respect, but that's my opinion...

I think he could do so much with his fan base, but ends up "keep hammering?" Not exactly sure what that even means, but it's sure sounds wierd...

Seems like a good dude, but I don't care for his delivery and "message." Turing hunting into a competitive sport is lame. His theme has soured an entire generation of hunters who are completely disconnected from the true meaning of hunting and the personal experience it reflects. Maybe I'm way off in this respect, but that's my opinion...

I think he could do so much with his fan base, but ends up "keep hammering?" Not exactly sure what that even means, but it's sure sounds wierd...

I agree with Bambi. I don't quite understand his message. I have never liked how some take hunting and turn it into a competition. Not trying to say that is what he is trying to do, but that is how it comes across to me.

When I first heard of Cameron he was working for the Eastman boys and I really admired him. Seemed like a hard core hunter and he is, but personally I think he got a little full of himself and his fitness routine and a little too obsessed with making his living in the hunting business. He's a hard core fitness nut for sure, not denying that, but he's a bit over the top for my liking. In his book, he talked about his scouting adventures, kind of a crossfit endurance expedition may be a better word, and how he absolutely hated seeing other hunters in the places he went. Well, he wrote a book telling the world how he trained to hunt, describing in detail his procedure for scouting, shooting his bow 365 days a year, running mountain marathons, etc., so he kind of created a lot (not all) of the hard core back country bad asses who are now venturing into the same country Cameron used to have somewhat to himself. Still I'd hate to try and keep up with the guy in the mountains.

Hell of a hunter IMHO but a little to bro-ish. I agree with Bambistew, kind of turning hunting into an "Xtreme" sport. To each there own I suppose but I think the Mtn Ops, flat billed hat thing is kind of lame.

I always think about how bad ass his camera men have to be to keep up with him while toting all that video equipment and filming at the same time.

I like his drive and at least what appears to be mental toughness. Living in the back country for a couple weeks requires as much mental toughness if not more than physical toughness.

I think Bambi has a point, but overall I like him. It's easy to $h!t on him because he does some pretty outrageous stuff, but overall he is kind and focuses solely on being positive towards others. Positive messages from positive messengers are a good thing in today's world IMO.

Hunting isn't an extreme sport to which I dedicate intense training towards to be the ultimate predator, which explains my rotund shape. But such an attitude towards hunting doesn't exclude the deeper meanings as well, though he doesn't focus on the deeper stuff too much. I'd like to see him use his wide audience to advocate for public lands. I've enjoyed his podcasts.

He lost me with all the ME............way back.
Don't think I have good enough mirrors at my house for him.

Overall I like him and his positive messages about training and mental toughness. The type of hunting I enjoy requires a high level of fitness and mental fortitude and Camerons messages are great for motivation.

I use his training technique of hanging in my garage while my kid beats me with a whip-like object. Actually no I don't, that's just silly.

He seems like a good guy with a particular passion that's filling a niche. I have never seen him give a negative light to hunting either. With that, I have respect for him and admire his passion.

Last edited:
Back