Colorado sheep

Wow... That is such a stud of a ram and very well documented. Congrats Oak on a very well deserved trophy.

Thanks for all of the comments. It was one of the pinnacles of my hunting career. Ironically, I packed this ram out of the mountains 9 years to the day from packing my first sheep out of the Chugach Mountains in AK.

Dall50.jpg

The comments about my recent story brevity are funny for those who have been around a while. I wrote sagas like this about my 2007 dall hunt and 2008 mountain goat hunt, which you can find if you look through the archives. Unfortunately I think the photos were lost from those posts during a forum upgrade years ago. After doing this one I remember why I haven't done one recently....a lot of work.

I meant to include this photo in my last post. The remaining rams after the shot. They didn't run until I retrieved my pack and started up towards my ram.

Herd.jpg

What was the ring count on him? He's kinda tough to count

Looks to be a 10.5 year old ram?

Someone guessed age in a previous response to be 10ish. Any way to show a non sheep hunter how that is counted?

Good questions. So as many of you know, you count the rings in the horns to age them. I'm going to throw this photo up and see what people think. Opinions on this end vary. :) I apologize for the gore.

Age.jpg

Did your "mini me" approve of your choice of Rams?

At 6 years old, he is a little indifferent. He definitely doesn't understand the significance of a sheep tag. Nor does my 3 year old daughter, who asked, "daddy, why did you only bring one sheep home???"

Maybe I missed it, but what rifle/bullet combo where you using?

.300 Wby and 180gr. Accubonds

No doubt now, Ovis Pyrexia.

Since a Dall hunt in 2007, and still!

Last edited:
Now for my congratulations:
That magnificent ram and hard to obtain tag deserved more than the average "I shot him" thread, and you definitely capitalized on sharing an epic story from beginning to end, and was an awesome thread to read while traveling 2500 miles back home from an elk hunt. Like I said on page #1, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. And you did an awesome job taking us alone for the ride.
Congratulations!

I am with sneak and will go with 11.5. No matter what; lots of scouting, hard work, amazing country and a great hunting experience. Work well done and the ultimate outcome.

With that different angle I would like to change my vote to 11.5

Doesn't matter one lick to the fact that you harvested a hell of a ram in some of God's finest creation. Still amazed.

12 1/2 years old??.....surely he was the King of the mountain at one time. I simply cannot fathom the life of a Rocky Mountain Bighorn. Altitude and weather and terrain.....oh my.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back