Caribou Gear

Help with a Hunting Truck

Hey guys, I need a little help here! I live in Colorado and fish/hunt everything imaginable. Amazingly, my Toyota RAV4 has done surprisingly well so far. I got stuck once when a beautiful morning turned into 8 inches of snow by the time I got back to my vehicle, parked at the BOTTOM of a hill. Live and learn, bought some chains and got out of there. They never leave the vehicle.

However, some of the places I have taken it could surely have been better served by a more appropriate vehicle. There's a few roads I'd like to access that I won't even try. I'm ok with that, there's plenty of places to go. HOWEVER! This year my wife drew an RFW tag and we expect we're going to need something beefier from all reports. I have a Nissan Pathfinder I can borrow, but that's about it. I could rent a truck but ...

We currently only have one vehicle (we both work from home), and we've been musing about getting something for outdoor use anyway. We've discussed it, and while used has the problem of "more likely to break," we also don't want to put our money into a new vehicle that is destined to get beat up. We like to camp right in the back of the RAV4, so a truck makes the most sense.

I love Toyota (RAV4 has 150k on it, no issues, last vehicle was a '90 Toyota truck with 290k when I sold it), but hot damn its ridiculous to try to buy one used. Can't stand anything from Chrysler. So, I'm leaning towards Fords. I haven't been looking terribly long, but I've seen a wide range of conditions on various mid-90s Fords.

My favorite one I've seen so far was a '94 F-250 XLT Lariat with Cap in incredible condition inside and under the hood, but its got 306k miles on it! They're asking $2,800 for that one. Is it insanity to consider one with that much mileage? My parents had F-150s when I was growing up, but that was in NY and the rust destroyed them.

Please, weigh in! I've read several other truck threads on here but I'd love to hear your thoughts specific to my situation. I'll answer any more specific questions you've got.

Did you look at returned lease vehicles at a Toyota dealership? I got my 2007 Tundra with 60K miles on it in 2010 for a good price, it was leased by my neighbor on a 3 year lease. Absolutely NO problems with it at all. Highway mileage is around 18/20. I check it regularly. Like others have said, save and wait for the right Toyota. You'll be unhappy with a Ford after owning a Toyota.

This Toyota parks in the garage. The shiny, new, Dodge Diesel does not get garage parking. If I was forced to sell one, the Dodge would be hittin' the road. Gotta love Warn Winch too.
Near Glenwood Springs Colorado and Manhattan Colorado.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 975
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,013
I know the pain when looking for a USED Tacoma... but if you can make it work, the 3rd generation 4runners run on the same frame, same engine, same everything!! but you can steal them!!
Here is my $3,200 4runner and it's about perfect! Just get online and research their longevity, reliability and 4wheel capabilities!

And the 1999, has a very nice factory clearance!!

* this is my 100 mile a day commuter with 275,000 miles on it! :hump: And it's WAY more comfortable, and more fun than my $60,000 ford F150 !!!

Attachments

• 4runner.jpg
    4runner.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 959
bigdonniebrasco what years would that be for a third generation 4runner? And what type of mileage are you getting out of your "jalopy"?

I have a 1998 and 1996 Toyota 4Runner. Love em, worth every penny. 4runners are usually a bit cheaper than the Taco's as well. Fold down the rear seats and I can fit my entire camp back there, and sleep in there if needed. I haven't missed or needed a pickup bed yet. Meat goes in coolers and most animals don't come out whole anyways. I picked up the 98 for $3400, and the 1996 for $3800, and then probably put another 1500 bucks into each of them since. Yes the Toyota's are more up front, but you'll save a lot more in the long run because they are so reliable.

I know the pain when looking for a USED Tacoma... but if you can make it work, the 3rd generation 4runners run on the same frame, same engine, same everything!! but you can steal them!!
Here is my $3,200 4runner and it's about perfect! Just get online and research their longevity, reliability and 4wheel capabilities!

And the 1999, has a very nice factory clearance!!

* this is my 100 mile a day commuter with 275,000 miles on it! :hump: And it's WAY more comfortable, and more fun than my $60,000 ford F150 !!!

Yup, beat me to it.

Don't overlook the mid to late 80's Land Cruisers too. I have been looking at these, and might very well try to pick one up in the next five years. You can find them for around 3k bucks or so.

Nice truck and you're going to get most of your money back on it. You can't say that about too many trucks that you put 70k miles on. What kind of truck are you looking to get? Or have you already bought one?

The new set up-

20160730_104123.jpg

I love the Tacoma, but there's just no way it could pull the camper. The f-150 is an 07 that had 50k miles on it when I bought it this spring. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tacoma outlasts this truck.

bigdonniebrasco what years would that be for a third generation 4runner? And what type of mileage are you getting out of your "jalopy"?

3rd gen 4runners span from 1995-2002, and for a 6 cyl get CRAP MPG. If I can get 21 I am doing good, and I drive like a little old lady!

I have a 1998 and 1996 Toyota 4Runner. Love em, worth every penny. 4runners are usually a bit cheaper than the Taco's as well. Fold down the rear seats and I can fit my entire camp back there, and sleep in there if needed. I haven't missed or needed a pickup bed yet. Meat goes in coolers and most animals don't come out whole anyways. I picked up the 98 for $3400, and the 1996 for $3800, and then probably put another 1500 bucks into each of them since. Yes the Toyota's are more up front, but you'll save a lot more in the long run because they are so reliable.

Exactly what I did.... a quick timing belt and water pump, plugs an wires... see ya in another 150k !

The new set up-

I love the Tacoma, but there's just no way it could pull the camper. The f-150 is an 07 that had 50k miles on it when I bought it this spring. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tacoma outlasts this truck.

You're right. Maybe with a V6 but not the 4 cylinder. I have an old 1984 model Toyota truck with a 4 cylinder. My dad used to pull our tractor with it. Tractor probably weighed 4-5K lbs. We would turn the AC off and roll the windows down to try to get a little more power. He would have to gear down to 1st or 2nd gear to pull a steep hill. I think those early trucks only had about 120 HP.

CO being a great place for an off-roader and project vehicles, old Land Cruisers are probably the most valuable vehicle around. One could probably make a killing shipping them in from other states.

This is the truck I "built" to be my ultimate ride, but at the end of the day, I MUCH preferred my 99 4runner! Offroads better, it's more comfortable, cheaper parts... win, win, win!

So I sold the big black beast.

Attachments

• IMG_20141130_194619.jpg
    IMG_20141130_194619.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 459
I own a tundra, a 4runner and a jeep. The jeep barely hits the woods. Suck it up go buy a new 4wd Tacoma or tundra and you will be good for another 300000 miles. Sticker shock socks but for next 15-20 years you will be happy you did.

C

Hey everybody, thank for you so much for your input, and especially for steering me away from the high mileage truck.

While I wish I could have a brand new Tundra or Tacoma (or even 4Runner), that wasn't the point. This won't be a "daily driver" but a tool for certain tasks.

This F-150 is now sitting in my driveway. 154k miles, $3200. I'm preparing for new shocks, brakes, chains and tires. If there is anything accessory you think I should consider, please weigh in!

By the way, one of the reasons we were steering away from an older 4Runner is the seats do not fold down flat, you have to remove them. We sleep in the back of the RAV4 all the time and will do the same with this truck. Being able to just throw a futon in and go was a big consideration.

20160802_130051.jpg

Get a Hi-Lift jack. Maybe a leveling kit. Looks like more ground clearance would help. Congrats on the new rig. I've never owned a Toyota and it's never prevented me from getting places. mtmuley

That should treat you well! What motor does it have?

That should treat you well! What motor does it have?

5.4L Triton V8. Seems they were hit or miss. Hopefully this one is one of the good ones.

Get a Hi-Lift jack. Maybe a leveling kit. Looks like more ground clearance would help. Congrats on the new rig. I've never owned a Toyota and it's never prevented me from getting places. mtmuley

Ah yes, I didn't put it on there, but I am thinking I will do a leveling kit at the same time as the shocks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gracey.bently
Back