Caribou Gear Tarp

Help with a Hunting Truck

vanish

Hey guys, I need a little help here! I live in Colorado and fish/hunt everything imaginable. Amazingly, my Toyota RAV4 has done surprisingly well so far. I got stuck once when a beautiful morning turned into 8 inches of snow by the time I got back to my vehicle, parked at the BOTTOM of a hill. Live and learn, bought some chains and got out of there. They never leave the vehicle.

However, some of the places I have taken it could surely have been better served by a more appropriate vehicle. There's a few roads I'd like to access that I won't even try. I'm ok with that, there's plenty of places to go. HOWEVER! This year my wife drew an RFW tag and we expect we're going to need something beefier from all reports. I have a Nissan Pathfinder I can borrow, but that's about it. I could rent a truck but ...

We currently only have one vehicle (we both work from home), and we've been musing about getting something for outdoor use anyway. We've discussed it, and while used has the problem of "more likely to break," we also don't want to put our money into a new vehicle that is destined to get beat up. We like to camp right in the back of the RAV4, so a truck makes the most sense.

I love Toyota (RAV4 has 150k on it, no issues, last vehicle was a '90 Toyota truck with 290k when I sold it), but hot damn its ridiculous to try to buy one used. Can't stand anything from Chrysler. So, I'm leaning towards Fords. I haven't been looking terribly long, but I've seen a wide range of conditions on various mid-90s Fords.

My favorite one I've seen so far was a '94 F-250 XLT Lariat with Cap in incredible condition inside and under the hood, but its got 306k miles on it! They're asking $2,800 for that one. Is it insanity to consider one with that much mileage? My parents had F-150s when I was growing up, but that was in NY and the rust destroyed them.

Please, weigh in! I've read several other truck threads on here but I'd love to hear your thoughts specific to my situation. I'll answer any more specific questions you've got.

Sounds like alot of miles to me. I dont hunt the mountains yet since i live in iowa so i cant help on what type of vehicle to buy but i would do a little more shopping to find something with less miles. If its for hunting use only you could get alot more use with something with lower miles.

I have an old thread on here for mine when i got Big Blue. She is a 91 F350 supercrew LB with solid axles. Running a 460 with about 180k on it. At 180 I would say the engine is doing ok, not great. The power is ok but not what you would have expected from a 460. That being said I chain up and go through NASTY to get to our camp site on the edge of the wilderness at +-9200 ft in the Flat Tops. Mine is a tad beat up on the out side, pretty decent interior and I paid $2000 (had brand new tires on it :) ), got a cap for free and put a Warn 10k winch on the front. I think it is pretty much ready to go anywhere I should even think about. At 306k on a gas motor I would just plan on a new motor being close at hand. You could luck out and get some serious mileage out of it but I would say that would be a big chance. That would be my thought process.

Here's a photo of the 306k truck.

My heart about stopped when I heard the miles.

20160727_134345.jpg

I have 324k on my Tacoma,still running strong and needed a solid back up in case. But as you found even a used Tacoma is ridiculas now.
I found a one owner 01' F150 Lariat off road 4x4 w/36k on it for $9k last year. They were asking $11k with camper shell.I didn't like the style.
I was offered $10k for my old Tacoma when I went to dealers,and I only paid $15k when its was 2 yrs old and 36k on it...lol

Last edited:
Personally I'd stay away from a truck with full length steps/runners/whatever as they reduce clearance and the rocks, mud, and other terrain will rip them off. At 306K, I'd question the life left. It does look like a very clean truck so I'd have it inspected before I made an offer.

I'm a fan of Toyotas and Chevys. I agree that used Toyotas are ridiculously priced, especially the tacomas. I would consider a pre 2007 Tundra. They are more reasonable than tacomas. I have a friend who has one with the V6 that has over 600k miles on it. I would also look at Chevy Silverados with the 5.3L engine. I have owned 2 and had no problems with either. I wouldn't consider the high mileage truck that you mentioned.

Not sure I understand your bias against Dodges. I've had very good luck with them over the years.

I've driven Fords, Chevy, GMC, Dodge and put a LOT of miles on all of them. They all have their quirks and issues. My point, go in with an open mind.

305k is a lot of miles on a gasser, but if you like the truck take it in and have it compression tested before you buy. Mileage doesn't always tell the story, I bought my Dodge with 200k miles on it. They were almost exclusively freeway miles.

I agree on the running boards, those will get torn off eventually.

Hard to beat a Toyota truck in the Colorado Rockies! Im a big fan of the Tacoma, although my 1985 Toyota EFI 4x4 works just fine too!

Has it had anything replaced on it? Thats a lot of miles on a tranny/transfer case as well as everything else. Seals and bearings are probably shot all the way around.

Price out major components of the drive train for repair and compare to something with less miles. IMO once you start approaching the 150-200k mark you're asking for big ticket items to start failing. On the other hand you're only out $2800 if it goes tits-up, and could part it out to recover most of the cost.

I've got 170k on my truck now, but it has pretty much all new drive train under it. I'll put a new motor in it when the time is up, and run it into the dirt and still be money ahead over a new truck. I was at the dealer the other day getting parts for the wife's Yukon, and looked at some new trucks... uff da... Thats a lot of parts worth on the old one.

Not sure I understand your bias against Dodges. I've had very good luck with them over the years.

A set of relatives that are Dodge diehards. It seemed like every month they were in the shop. I am glad you've had good luck with them, but it was not something I could ignore.

I agree on the running boards, those will get torn off eventually.

I would never have thought of that about the running boards. RAV4 is probably half the clearance of the running boards. :D But its a good thing to think about.

Has it had anything replaced on it? Thats a lot of miles on a tranny/transfer case as well as everything else. Seals and bearings are probably shot all the way around.

Owner said new Transmission 12k miles ago, new brakes, and 6k miles on the tires. No leaks. Radio doesn't work. Suspension/bearings is definitely something I would be concerned about.

Do yourself a favor and figure out away to get another Toyota

I would love to, but even a 1985 around here starts at 6k. I know that's not a lot for a truck, but it isn't within the budget my wife has said we could spend on this project. There's a few listed for less, but they look like they fell off several cliffs. My wife won't allow that.

Had good luck with my 97 chevy 1/2 ton before it got wrecked. wish it would have had the 350 instead of the 305 for more low end power in the snow but it was light and slim enough for most mountain roads.

I've put about 250k miles on Dodge trucks without a single major repair, knock on wood.

Your Rav4 has a much shorter wheelbase than the Ford. The long wheelbase is what makes the running boards so susceptible when you are crossing creeks, washes, going over big rocks, etc. I prefer the Nerf bar style that only have two or three contact points. They will protect the rocker panels from getting damaged (usually) if they hit. Not sure how much protection the fiberglass style would provide. I wouldn't think very much.

Your Rav4 has a much shorter wheelbase than the Ford. The long wheelbase is what makes the running boards so susceptible when you are crossing creeks, washes, going over big rocks, etc. I prefer the Nerf bar style that only have two or three contact points. They will protect the rocker panels from getting damaged (usually) if they hit. Not sure how much protection the fiberglass style would provide. I wouldn't think very much.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes total sense.

Highly recommend saving and then purchasing a used Toyota. Be patient and find the right one. Second choice would be a used Nissan. I've owned seven ford trucks, two toyotas and a dodge. My trucks get used and hands down my Toyotas are at the top of the list in terms of reliability and performance.

Going to go test drive a 2000 F-150 with 150k for a good price. Got some hail damage but wife OK'd it.

/me crosses fingers

Ford gas burners are not high mileage trucks. Go with a Toyota. I'm telling you this and I'm on my third Ford truck. I like em, but they don't last as long as Toyotas.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back