Hogs In Ohio, Questions

w.fugitt

Hello guys I'm new to hunt talk and new to hog hunting. I've been deer hunting here in Ohio since I was a kid, but have really been interested in the idea of hog hunting. Its really Ohio's only other medium game spices. I have been looking at Zaleski state forest and Wayne national forest. Zaleski seems the most promising, as it is surrounded in an L pattern by three canned hunting operations, I know Lame, and I can only surmise that the hogs in Ohio escaped from these places and began breeding on public land. Not asking for anyone's secret hunting spot. haha Just curious if anyone has hunted hogs in Ohio? what are things to consider? Do you Pretty much have to bait them? Any advice or info is helpful really appreciate it.

According to the ODNR the greatest concentration of verified populations can be found in southeastern Ohio where known breeding populations of feral swine have been confirmed in Adams, Ashtabula, Athens, Belmont, Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Monroe, Ross, Scioto, and Vinton counties. Normally baiting is the way hogs are hunted and I shot quite a few down in the brush country of south Texas when I was younger. The smaller ones are excellent table fare.

I live right in the middle of the Ironton District of Wayne National forest (Lawrence county) and spend tons of time all throughout the forest year round and have yet to even see a track from one, we also run about 15 cameras all the spring summer and fall and never gotten a pic. I have saw some trailcam pics floating around from the area though and a few grip and grins but those were all from guys that happen on some while gun hunting for deer. I have heard of some concentrations around the Cadmus area though.

Cool well thank you guys, Thanks baz77 Ill look into cadmus. I think the area of Wayne with hogs is near Nelsonville.

Getting permission is the tough part around here. If you have access, though, it's easy to spotlight them in the fields at night after corn has been harvested. I have no idea what the rules are about this in Ohio, though.

I also hunt in Wayne , Lawrence and Galia Counties. While ODNR Map shows concentrations of hogs I or any of the ten guys I hunt with have ever seen any sign. For the last five or six years we have been looking for it. I would say we cover a Few sq miles pretty throughly during general gun. Some go down for muzzleloader and spring turkey. I hunt hogs all winter every weekend in South Florida and I have since 1986 minus 7 years I ived in South Carolina and my thoughts are if they are in there there will be sign. Frankly I am suprised they are not in there if they are anywhere in the southern part of the state. They are very mobile and willing to range and stay on the move. With their prolific breeding capabilities they can expand and have expanded their ranges quickly. It is possible that their expansion into Ohio Has been slowed by hunters setting up feeders. Hogs will stay in an area if feeders are present.

We notice in Florida that we see the same hogs all winter once we get the feeders running. More come in as the weeks go by. Once we shut them down and clear out for the spring and summer and come back they move on. The next year there will be mostly new individuals showing up at the feeders.

So If guys are running feeders year around where there are concentrations they could be holding them in those areas keeping them from migrating. This is only a theory based on no credible info other than my experience. My other theory is the increase in coyotes in the area.

By the way with hogs I can only say be careful what wish for. They are very destructive.

Back