In search of a goodn - archery red deer hunting in Australia

Aussie_hunter_JD

I picked up a bow for the first time in 2012, it not being very popular in Australia my family told me I was mad. See here we have 12 month seasons on most deer with no tagd or bag limits and no weapon specific seasons. So to bow hunt deer you're chasing animals that are getting year round rifle pressure which makes it a right challenge.

I've done quite a bit of varmint shooting with the stick and string shooting foxes and hares and in 2013 i took a cracking fallow buck. But then I got a gundog and put the bow away to train her and went to something even more odd in Australia - blackpowder.

Anyway last year I dusted off my bear mauler and started hunting with it again and forgot how much i loved archery! I decided to upgrade for this year and ended up getting an elite 34.

I spent the velvet growing out period watching a heavy old 5x5 but missed my only chance at taking him as we crossed paths at 18m one day while my bow was still tied to my back.

I missed a really good stag that had stripped out in a real gimmie shot, 20m away! Buck fever got me and I couldn't keep steady and he took off just before the shot, resulting in a clean miss.

After that I had some close calls with younger stags but decided to let them go, there's a low population with a lot of pressure as it is so I'd prefer them to get some age.

I know these days with social media being what it is there's a big emphasis on the kill at the finish. But this story ends with no blood on my arrows and no "I'll be back next year". I managed to get close to some beautiful animals, take some great pics, get some great footage and have some memorable experiences and for me it doesn't get any more successful than that.

Here's some pics from my journey with the stick and string this year.

Enjoy,

DSC_0042.jpg

IMG_20160417_193123.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

This is the heavy old 10, I know it's a cliche but the pic really doesn't do him justice, he was a beast in the body. Can't find the pic of him rubbed out at the moment.
IMG_20160728_093255.jpg

JD

Top bows kiwi, I loved my bear but it doesn't compare to an elite!

Cheers guys, got another couple of months before they cast but I'm after a big fella with the rifle so might not get another archery chance until next year.

Thanks all,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back