Yeti GOBOX Collection

Testing Randy's vacuum seal meals today. Whats your favorite meal in a bag?

Bukwild3

I'm trying it on a stoffer's lasagna for easy testing. What's everybody's favorite? Looking for ideas! I think this is a great idea for road hunts, as I usually am the camp cook!!

We typically do stews, spaghetti, white chili, etc. We've also found that doing single serve size allow everyone to choose what they want for that meal and not family style where everyone eats the same thing. Also the singles heat up easier and more evenly.

Randy served me up some of his Wife's lasagna... hands down the best hunting meal I ever had.

I'll second the nomination for Kim Newbergs antelope lasagna. She makes killer ginger snaps as well but you have to be the lawn guy/ dog sitter to be blessed with those treasures :)

Randy served me up some of his Wife's lasagna... hands down the best hunting meal I ever had.

I'll second the nomination for Kim Newbergs antelope lasagna. She makes killer ginger snaps as well but you have to be the lawn guy/ dog sitter to be blessed with those treasures :)

Thanks for the feedback. She asked me how the crew liked it. I told her I wasn't sure. She then thought I pulled one of my old tricks where I often hide it for just me. She will read this in the morning and be happy that I actually have proof of sharing some of it with guys in camp.

We are getting ready to do a YouTube clip on the process and how we do the preparation in camp. Not just for lasagna, but for her other wonderful delights; elk chili (you will know you ate her chili around 9am the next morning), stew, chicken and noodles, and other delicious things that make it very hard for me to do the Mountain House diet when we are doing true backpack type hunts.

Are you just throwing these in boiling water to heat?

Have been doing vacuum seal for some years now. Big improvement on plastic containers that always leak as stuff begins to thaw. Each year is an assortment of red chile, green chile as staples. And then various stews, usually with some noodle/carbs to go with meat. Usually make about 4 different things then each hunt trip I grab a selection so have a little variety.

package in 1 and 2 person sizes.

All recipes are full of whatever large mammals remain in freezer come August when needing to clear out the freezer for the next menagerie of animals...this fall's hunt meals will be heavy on moose :hump:

boil in water. When I remember to set one out some hours in advance, boil in water take no timeand eat right from bag when solo and dinner is Lickety split and sleep is shortly thereafter. I am not into "camping" and camp crafts when on a hunt trip. High quality meals I will enjoy are important, but always cook fully ahead so I am not prepping and cooking during a hunt.

Glad to hear about the YouTube videos. Thanks everybody for the suggestions. One that I have not seen mentioned in here is burritos. I made a couple last night to try. From what I gather they should come out just like they went in.

Glad to hear about the YouTube videos. Thanks everybody for the suggestions. One that I have not seen mentioned in here is burritos. I made a couple last night to try. From what I gather they should come out just like they went in.

I've been messing with these meals this year, and by far the best has been enchiladas. Stick two of those bad boys in a pint sized bag and it's a great meal.

I've also found that pulling them and letting them thaw the day of cooking makes them cook much faster and easier.

I've also had good luck with breakfast scrambles, taco meat, pasta and pulled pork.

Here's some pasta I did for a trip this spring-

PART_zpsmrxnyv5e.jpg

How are you guys doing stews and chilis? I tried with chili, but had a hell of a time getting a good seal due to the liquid.

I was wondering about how to do spaghetti. Looks like putting the noodles in last instead of mixed would help with get a better seal.

So as I read this, I'm assuming these are base camp type of meals? I just don't see them working in a jet boil... maybe I'm wrong. I definitely want to make a few of these up this year. I do enjoy a day off to relax and unwind if I have the time, that is when I will bring out a fat ribeye and corn on the cob!

I think you could do this with the jetboil mini mo. Probably have to play around with the portions and maybe cook 2 but I also thought about this for lunch time when you are 20+ miles from camp and don't have a small camp stove or the space to bring the stuff you do have.

How are you guys doing stews and chilis? I tried with chili, but had a hell of a time getting a good seal due to the liquid.

Clip the bags with chip clips to the desired size / form you want, then freeze for a few hours. Once the liquid sets up, then put a seal on it.

Dumb question time.... The seals on the bags hold up to the boiling waster?

Yup. They hold up fine.

The chip clip idea that wolfpup mentions sounds good to me. We have a small folding ruler I lay over/under the bag just underneath the seal. I squeeze it enough to let air out and keep fluids in.

So as I read this, I'm assuming these are base camp type of meals? I just don't see them working in a jet boil... maybe I'm wrong. I definitely want to make a few of these up this year. I do enjoy a day off to relax and unwind if I have the time, that is when I will bring out a fat ribeye and corn on the cob!

For me, they are all base camp meals. I would never carry the weight on a backpack hunt. These kind of meals weigh far to much to make it practical to carry them into the backcountry.

I have an old teapot that I boil the water in, drop the bag in the pot, and let it get hot. Eat and repeat.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back