For those that have been to Africa

Dhosera

Looking for reputable Outfitters for a Safari from those that have been to the dark continent. Taking my father before father time catches up with him too bad and we are not able to expericnce Africa together. We would be targeting plains game and are not trophy hunters rather we are more interested in decent species representatives and the overall experience. Suggestions welcome!

Thank you in advance!!

Kind of like how blue is the sky type question.

I hunted the northern part of the Limpopo province in South Africa a couple times and would do it again in a heartbeat... I hunted with Samaria Safaris, but they are no longer actively booking, as their ranch was sold before the gov took it... its no part of a National Park. It was an unbelievable piece of property.

My experience is only in RSA, so take it for what its worth.

Not sure what your expectations are. Cost, time in the field, amenities and activities, side tours for companions, etc. Lots of questions you must ask. I wouldn't go for less than 2 weeks. I would definately tour Kruger Park if you are in the area, or any other park to see the "big 5" and other animals you may not see on your hunt.

Really your two best bets are Northern South Africa provinces and Namibia, the rest are pretty pricey for a representative plains game hunt. Southern RSA doesn't really do it for me. Most animals are not native, the terrain is different, and not really what I would expect on a plains safari, but everyone has their own expectations. There are some neat critters in the southern half, and some are only endemic. Don't expect a Roarke expedition in Tanganyika in either of these places, but there are a coupe outfits in Namibia that offer "bush style camps" in some pretty wild country. Most all of RSA is ranch style hunts on huge estates.

Honestly I don't think you could have a bad time anywhere there. The people are so friendly and accommodating. Both RSA and Nam are safe, and malaria free.

Spend some time on Accurate Reloading forums, there is an absolute wealth of of African hunting there, easily 10x more than any other place on the net. Some really cool guys as well, who both live there or have been there a lot of times.

If you're looking for a deal, check out your local SCI or various other group banquets/auctions. They usually have donated hunts that go for very reasonable prices. Also go to outdoor sports shows and talk to outfits directly.

I've been dreaming of going back recently, a lot... not sure how I feel about a 3yo on a plane for 24 hours though. :D

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back