PEAX Equipment

New Mexico Unit 51 Elk Hunt

Joshgs

I was lucky enough to draw a tag to hunt a MB Elk in unit 51 in New Mexico. I have started to planning by viewing maps of the area, and planning a weekend trip two weeks before the hunt to actually scout the area. I have been doing Crossfit to stay in shape and will be incorporating hiking to my routine and will be spending time out on the range. Any advice in hunting this particular unit/area would be greatly appreciated.

Hunt is Oct 15-19, depending on how the rut season goes, it may be late rut to post rut during this time frame

I've hunted there a few times and saw elk every time. Successful a couple of times. As with most public lands, get back off the roads and there's elk. If you go east off hwy 84 through Canjilon toward Canjilon lakes and hunt south and east from there, there's some good dark timber for when the crowds arrive. Also south off hwy 64 at Hopewell lake and south west of it, I have seen elk. It will take you some time to get a "feel" for what the elk are doing and what the other hunters are doing. Walking and observing is key.

+1 for Canjilon Lakes. Also something to consider, those elk come down to the private meadows along hwy 64 to feed at night. Then they go back up into the carson national forest at first light. You can walk around the private and set up an ambush. Remeber to stay S of 64, N is unit 52.

I am familiar with the area around Hopewell lake, but not have explored the area by Canjilon lake. I will definitely explore the areas mentioned near the lake. Thank you for the great advice.

I have hunted that area for the last 5 years. The first year we went we were on the west side of 84. Found tons of sheds, elk population was more sparse than on the east side of 84. The group I usually go with drew the season after you this year. Not thrilled about it but theyre going...unlike me. Once you get to Canjilon, you can go left and it takes you to the lakes region. Or you can go right. Ive had success in both areas. The Canjilon lakes area was closed due to trees falling. I've never specifically hunted the lakes. But, I will tell you their was a lot of traffic on that main road heading that direction. That could be because we had the hunt around labor day. An area I wanted to try but saw a few too many camps set up was Salvador canyon. I have always archery hunted the first or second season in September so all this might not apply at all.

Great draw... you should have a fun hunt. That is great elk country. I drew the 3rd rifle last year, only had 3 days to hunt but had no problem finding elk. They were spread out pretty well, just moving around the country quite a bit. Bulls were bugling on opening morning too, which was fun...

One piece of advice.. don't go back to camp at lunchtime! I was sitting on a mountain above a deep drainage waiting on what I thought was a good bedding area during early afternoon and watched two 300+ bulls walk across a wide open meadow a mile off where I had spent the morning chasing a herd with a smallish bull.

I have the tag after yours (Oct. 22-26). From all of the information I have gathered, I don't think it will be hard to find elk if you put in the effort. I'm definitely excited about the hunt! Good luck to you!

Great draw... you should have a fun hunt. That is great elk country. I drew the 3rd rifle last year, only had 3 days to hunt but had no problem finding elk. They were spread out pretty well, just moving around the country quite a bit. Bulls were bugling on opening morning too, which was fun...

One piece of advice.. don't go back to camp at lunchtime! I was sitting on a mountain above a deep drainage waiting on what I thought was a good bedding area during early afternoon and watched two 300+ bulls walk across a wide open meadow a mile off where I had spent the morning chasing a herd with a smallish bull.

Curious your thoughts on tanks for that last hunt. The guys I've got going arent too fond of the rifle idea. I know of a few unmarked tanks and wallows that have been productive for the archery season. Think they should bring their bow if they want to sit on a tank?

From all the positive responses, I am more than excited to hunt this unit and look forward to a great hunt. Good luck to all the hunters out there this year.

Curious how your hunt went. I drew this unit for second rifle this year and am really looking forward to it.

Curious how your hunt went. I drew this unit for second rifle this year and am really looking forward to it.

You drew an awesome tag...lots of fun! I've had the pleasure of hunting that unit many times and was always thick in elk.
Some great areas to check out have already been mentioned in here. ;)
Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Great! Thank you for the feedback. I'm new to the site and am really impressed with how helpful and friendly everybody is on here. The information here and all over the site is outstanding. Thanks again!

I just read every thread I could find on 51. My brother and I drew the late season muzzleloader tags (Dec 1-5) and would love to know if any hunttalkers have drawn the same tag.

I just read every thread I could find on 51. My brother and I drew the late season muzzleloader tags (Dec 1-5) and would love to know if any hunttalkers have drawn the same tag.

The thing about your tag is one year it could be 50-60s with nice weather and then the next year you could be in 6” of snow.
Regardless, it’s still a good hunt. There aren’t many hunts in that unit that I wouldn’t want to take. (Other than the youth encouragement tags)

Take a look at the last few years harvest results for that hunt. I believe they are typically 24-30%. Those are some pretty good odds. You’ll have a fun time.

Drew Unit 51 for 1st rifle season in 2018, from the previous comments - I am encouraged & looking forward to the fall. :cool:

I have never hunted in this area, but I did archaeology along 285 south of Tres Piedras during the season about a decade ago now. The thing that surprised me is that there were opportunities to see a substantial number of elk right along the highway in the pinyon/juniper scrub. I didn't expect to see them there in large numbers, but be forewarned their were also a substantial number of hunters. That is an awesome draw and is some of the best hunting area in New Mexico both prehistorically and today.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back