Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Time for some to go elsewhere

Good to hear ..I'm fairly new here and have never hunted so I'd be happy to avoid negativity as much as possible...Thanks Randy!

I've been traveling a ton this year. I just got back early this morning from another gig and took a few hours to just review some of the threads that seem to be the most corrosive. Those threads have some commonalities.

1. They usually have zero relevance to a public land hunting forum.
2. They are usually started by the same small group of people.
3. The pot gets stirred by the same small group of people.
4. Some only want to start/interact on threads that are politically oriented with no relevance to politics that impact public lands and/or hunting. Obviously, they should be on a different site.
5. Some struggle to have a conversation with those who have a differing opinion, thus the person results to tags, labels, and false comparatives, in all reality, raising the surrender flag to rationale discourse. Those people are of the greatest likelihood to be those in #4 above.
6. The rest of the forum members are tiring of it, as am I.​

If you show up one day and your password is not working, you will know you are one of the people above. Do not expect any warnings beyond this post.

If you self-identify that the warning is pointed at you, odds are you are correct. None of us need the continual distractions and the grade school level of interaction that occurs. I deleted some threads this afternoon. Probably more to come.

I tend to miss the politically acerbic threads; that's partially because I'm not interested in them, but also because there aren't many - and that's one of the reason's I really like this site. Just average-joes-w/-jobs that like to hunt and talk about hunting. I used to post a lot on a hockey forum, but like Randy pointed out, there was always a handful of asshats that had to take every comment about a defenseman's slapshot from the blueline to some weird, nasty political place. I got weary of it and quite going there.

Thanks, Big Fin.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 Randy .... Keep Public Lands Public...Thanks for keeping any politics only about public lands.

I'm bringing this thread back up, even though it is three years old. It seems we have a lot of folks who struggle to interact with others in an adult manner. We have even more who feel uncomfortable chiming in on hunting topics, yet will miss a day of work jousting and jabbing in any manner that can run a thread into the political morass.

I've grown tired of continually warning people. It works for a while, but within a week or two it is back to the same mud wrestling. Going forward, I would expect more deletion of accounts and a lot fewer warnings of such.

Randy, do you look at the posts/people that are reported? I don't expect any single report to be sufficient motivation for a ban, but if 10-20 people report the same guy for multiple posts, then auto-ban seems reasonable. If you don't look at them, I will stop bothering to report. Thanks

Randy, do you look at the posts/people that are reported? I don't expect any single report to be sufficient motivation for a ban, but if 10-20 people report the same guy for multiple posts, then auto-ban seems reasonable. If you don't look at them, I will stop bothering to report. Thanks

I look at them all. I would say on half of them, it is two people who don't get along and they disagree with the other's opinions. A lot of times Person A will send me a notice about Person B. Then a half hour later, Person B will send me a notice about Person A.

I read entire theads when it is reported, as there is context that needs to be considered. It is time consuming.

There folks who are gone from here based on a reported thread. There are folks here who have received emails and PMs with warnings, due to how they were interacting on a thread that was reported.

Heck, one time a person reported me to Mrs. Fin. I suspect they didn't know how moderation worked on this forum.

I try to let adults sort out their own situation. Intervening when it is a difference of opinion won't happen on my watch. Intervening when someone wants to continue ranting about this group or that group, hanging tags on anyone that has a different view, or if they cannot have a discussion without interjecting heavy duty team politics, is usually when I will send a warning. Bigotry, racism, sexism, will get someone tossed without warning.

Last edited:
Bigotry, racism, sexism, will get someone tossed without warning.

I really don't see a problem with a healthy debate. Although some can get heated, I enjoy reading both sides and I get some good information on subjects that I may not understand all that well. Things I did not think of before. Both sides are worthy of consideration and I support folks freedom to state their opinions, even if I don't agree with them.

The thing I find bothersome is when some people feels they are losing the debate, they will result to bullying or personal attacks. That is not free opinion. I'm not sure what system you use to let people know they are being considered for removal but I think "Bullying" should be added to your list of automatic tossing. It is harder to determine, but should definitely be unacceptable.

You may have already considered a flagging system where your first "offense" you send a "yellow flag" stating "That's one". Next is orange, then red, and your out. That gives people an opportunity to adjust behavior. I know you get tons of suggestions, so you probably already considered this one, but makes sense to me.

Also, no matter what we do in life, our wives always seem to find out... :)

Back