Suggestion for future episodes....

I wouldn't be at all disappointed if all you ever did in the future were mule deer and antelope hunts. They are the 2 greatest North American big game animals in my opinion. Keep those mule deer and antelope hunts coming- please!

All are good ideas that would be fun to try.

For sake of explanation, odds are we will not end up back east. Not because I wouldn't want to do it, but because sponsors want us to feature western big game hunts. They employ a lot of other marketing dollars in eastern/midwestern whitetails and turkeys, waterfowl, pigs, and other hunts. The hardest commodity to find in the TV world is high quality self-guided public land hunts in the west. When they invest money in that type of content, that is what they want us to deliver.

You might see some waterfowl and other hunts on our YouTube channel, but due to costs and low budgets for YouTube episodes, they will mostly be around here. As for NZ. If I go there, or Finland, it will be for personal hunting pleasure. Cameras will get left at home and Mrs. Fin will come along.

Thanks for the good ideas.

Three new things we have yet to do that are probably closest to becoming a TV episode reality are;

- AZ Coues Whitetails (archery) will get accomplished this winter.

- CA/OR/WA Columbia Blacktail when I can fit it in the schedule.

- OR/WA Roosevelt elk, again, when I can fit it in the schedule.

- ID whitetail.

- AK Caribou, when I can sort out the logistics.

Since we do mostly rifle hunts and most of our sponsors are in the firearm sphere, don't expect to see more than 2-3 archery hunts per year. And probably no muzzle loader hunts. Just the way it works. If we do more archery hunts than that, or a muzzy hunt, they will be YouTube episodes.

I love you that keep us in the loop on the behind the scenes workings of the show. I know it makes me feel like I have some ownership in it and want it to succeed even more. Thanks Randy.

Hey Randy:
I used to love seeing you and your uncle go hunting - took me back to the days when my Dad was alive and he would take me out no matter how tired he was from work (he was 44 years old when I was born). I love seeing shows where some of the older guys or ladies get out. Heck, run a donation to put the funds together for something like that, I'd help contribute towards it. It was our Dad's generation that got us involved, I love seeing the excitement in their eyes and hearing the stories of our older hunting partners.

Jay

As a former Washingtonian, I am all for anything featuring a hunt in WA. Especially, a Roosevelt Elk hunt whether it be the Western or Eastern side of the state. Some big bulls have been hitting the dirt up there. In addition to that, I would love to see a Moose hunt! I don't really care where. MT, AK or even a North Idaho Moose hunt would be a pleasure to watch.

I would like to see a return trip to Minnesota, maybe YouTube episode of a grouse hunt or even some walleye fishing with old friends or family members. Love hearing your stories from the ol days around your stomping grounds of Big falls, would be cool to put a image with it all.

Last edited:
Toughest North American Hunt: Himalayan Snowcock in the Ruby Mountains.

Never been televised, and something I'd like to see. I've been planning a hunt for these for next year. Free permit, only 1 or 2 birds are shot every year. And they only live about 10,000'. And they generally flush outside of shotgun range. A youtube episode, I'm sure, but man, a real adventure awaiting anyone chasing them.

Thanks. I wish all comments were like yours when we show hunts there no tags get filled.

Yeah, I like that sheep hunting idea you mention. Hopefully MT FWP is reading this thread and they will see that I draw a tag next year.

We have done two of them in the past, though they were not my tags.

[video=youtube_share;yWRXB3Z4kCA]https://youtu.be/yWRXB3Z4kCA[/video]

I have to echo Dukes reply. That is one of the key distinctions of your show, its the real deal. Warts and all. No fancy clubhouse, food plots and guaranteed success. It gets disheartening for the public land DIY hunter to see so many shows with successful hunts when ours many times aren't successful. Also, your ethical hunts are a perfect role model for us.
Thank you.

I would like to see something in the east. Two suggestions for a public land hunt would be whitetails in new england, most likely Maine, or a public land hog hunt in Georgia. Maine has one of the largest expanses of hunting land open to the public east of the Mississippi. Its an adventure not too different than the west. Public land hogs in Georgia would be another good one. This could be done during any open season as long as the weapons matched that season. The trick is that I THINK muzzleloaders are considered legal during any small game season. Again there is ample public land with some huge chunks designated wilderness. There are swamps in the southern part and mountains in the north both of which hold hogs.

I agree. The premise of the show is public land, DIY and there's a lot of that in the east, too. Chasing whitetails in the big woods of Maine, NH or NY would be perfect, though probably challenging to film well. There are an awful lot of viewers who'd like to do what you do, but can't justify flying or driving out west to do it. But, they can hop in their car and be in the Adirondacks, or the White mountains in half a day.
Thanks for having a hunting show that focuses on doing it yourself, public land and tries to actually relate the story of the hunt, not just kill shots!

As an East coast flat lander I have a suggestion for an "Elk Talk" episode. What is gods name are saddles, benches, parks, a draw, etc. the nomenclature of the mountains is Greek to me possibly a few others as well. In all my reading to this point this is an area I find lacking in explanation. Thanks for all you do keep doing what you do.

AZ Coues on leftover tag. NM aoudad on draw tag. Oregon Rosie elk hunt. Horseback archery elk hunt in northern Montana with a Southern Billy Jim Bob tenderfoot with heavy drawl on first hunt out west (Ima fixin' to burn some powder on that Yankee deer). Wyoming pronghorn on 2nd choice draw with some an Eastern Hill Country Jethro tenderfoot on first hunt out West (Them critters shore is fast like).

As an East coast flat lander I have a suggestion for an "Elk Talk" episode. What is gods name are saddles, benches, parks, a draw, etc. the nomenclature of the mountains is Greek to me possibly a few others as well. In all my reading to this point this is an area I find lacking in explanation. Thanks for all you do keep doing what you do.

"Saddle" - lowest point between two higher points at the top of the mountain if you follow the skyline. It's the path of least resistance to move from one side of a mountain to another.
"Bench" - on a steep ridge a bench is a relatively flat region in contrast to the rest of the ridge. If you are looking at a topo map, look for the areas on the ridge where contour lines are further apart. Prime areas for bedding and also the path of least resistance to walk.

"Park" - Western lingo for a mountain meadow. A grassy area surrounded by trees.
"Draw"- Ravine, coulee, gulch, holler, hollow, etc. As in, " The crick (stream) runs down that draw."

Grateful Mr. Martin, those definitions helped me a bunch. Thank you for not only taking the time to define the terms but also expounding on their importance.

I would like to see a return trip to Minnesota, maybe YouTube episode of a grouse hunt or even some walleye fishing with old friends or family members. Love hearing your stories from the ol days around your stomping grounds of Big falls, would be cool to put a image with it all.

I agree, listening to the podcasts while stacking wood and doing other stuff around the house some good stories from home, so would love to see some of the hometown he speaks of.

also would be interesting to see a behind the scenes (youtube) of the cameramen at work, the podcast with your first cameramen were humorous

Follow up to episode 7? Episode 7 was one of my favorites and if memory serves Sage Grouse were on the cusp of a major decision. It would be cool to have Ed Arnett back on, talk more trash on SFW, and update us on Sage Grouse issues!

Randy,

I'm sure I'm not the only one out here who is a "disabled" service member. I think it would be really awesome to see a overview of the allowances that western states afford disabled service members, whether active duty or not. For example, since I'm a recovering service member, California affords me a reduced price hunting license. Some states open seasons earlier, etc.

Just a thought and keep up the good work...

You inspired this guy to get out to WY for antelope this season and I had a blast. It was refreshing for my soul!

I've been thinking about this for quite some time now.

Is what I think would make a great series of episodes would be this.

You gather up a group of guys (or gals) that are considered elite professional hunters. Maybe ask a Kurt Rued, or a Pat Sinclair to throw in.

Then, you give those hunters a week to hunt in one Hunting district in Montana (could be other states too, I just live here) on a general seasons tag to see who really is the best hunter. You would throw maybe ten average areas in a hat a have a really good looking girl heavily endowed draw the area.

You give them something like 10 days to do this. 3 days of internet, or on the ground scouting and off they go. No help from anyone.

Maybe even have some sort of playoffs where one week 4guys go in and hunt elk in one area for elk, and other 4 guys hunt another area. The top two from each of those elk hunts move on to hunt deer in another drawn district to hunt mule deer. Now we end up with two guys head to head on a DIY predator hunt. A champ is crowned at the end of season.

Competitive hunts contests can be looked upon poorly, but if done right with the right people you'll have no probs. The Drury Brothers do some competitive stuff and get away with it. I like my format better.

No Game farms or special areas. DIYj on public lands. Getty up!

Back