Suggestion for future episodes....

Would you ever consider doing an episode or youtube episode dedicated to trapping? I think that would be an enjoyable episode. I remember listening to one of the podcasts and if I recall I thought Randy said he traps for a week or 2 weeks each year? A trapping episode would be interesting, a change-up of sorts and would be a rarity, other than F&T's show and MeatEater once or twice. Even a waterfowl episode would be a good watch!

Already did one for YouTube. See below. We will be doing more this winter.

[video=youtube_share;lG9ieTsK0GQ]https://youtu.be/lG9ieTsK0GQ[/video]

Loved the trapping one, made me go and look at the WDFW regs... then discovered that all trapping must be live trapping and quickly ditched the idea.

I would love to see a mountain lion hunt with dogs. Something that most of us will never have the chance to do. I am sure there are dog hunters on site. Might work!

Considering that the special apps deadline for lions is tomorrow our brave host better have his application in the mail if he wants a chance at a tag... :)

Would love to see Randy go back to Minnesota for some grouse/walleye/smallmouth action! Grouse cycle is on the up rise and Minnesota has a ton of public land for hunters (wma, wpas, we have a new walk-in access program, state forests). All you need for grouse is a shotgun, blaze vest and your neighbors dog.

I don't care what it is so long as its public and unguided. Those private ranch hunts with a guide just aren't hunting (not for the tag holder anyhow) and I really don't see where those people get so prideful for shooting a "trophy" that they could have never found if left to their own devices.

I think just keep doing what your doing,,,deer ,elk antelope,and whatever lucky tags you can pull like the average d I y hunter,,keep it on public land,,western states primarily,,and randy ,the way he tells his particular story,,the show sells itself,,it is the best d I y public land show out there in my opinion,,,though I would like to see a muzzleloader episode sometime.

I would love to see a few episodes in New Zealand. For a huge public land proponent in the USA I feel like you need to also show other countries that have excellent public land hunting, nearly 1/3 of the NZ backcountry is public conservation land open to hunting, and while you guys are fighting to keep yours, just a few months ago people in NZ were complaining about out government "wasting money" to buy and add more land to our conservation estate. you could come over in March and hunt pigs, then in late March and April hunt Roaring Red Stags and Croaking Fallow Bucks, then stick around till June, and hunt rutting Chamois and Aoraki Tahr. If you are really keen on this idea I would recommend you visit the Fish'n'hunt forum in NZ and explain who you are and what you believe in, maybe link some of your youtube tv episodes (do this anyway, people on there would be keen to see your great show). There are plenty of guys on that forum, like on this one, that are absolute 100% experts at hunting Public Land, and would be happy to "guide" you onto public land animals in locations and terrain that are unfamiliar to you. I think a few NZ episodes would be an excellent thing for Fresh Tracks, introduce you to a different countries hunting and introduce your mainly (American?) following to the excellent public land opportunities available to overseas hunters in Aotearoa. All an overseas hunter needs to hunt in NZ is a valid hunters education ticket from your home country and a public land permit, which you can print out for free online and you are away!

Would like to see Randy and crew do an OTC Mule Deer archery hunt in NW Colorado. If this has not been done, I believe Randy is still chasing a Colorado mule deer. Thank you Randy and your guys for getting after them. Perhaps this can be done next September 2017. Best for 2016 hunts...

I would like to see something in the east. Two suggestions for a public land hunt would be whitetails in new england, most likely Maine, or a public land hog hunt in Georgia. Maine has one of the largest expanses of hunting land open to the public east of the Mississippi. Its an adventure not too different than the west. Public land hogs in Georgia would be another good one. This could be done during any open season as long as the weapons matched that season. The trick is that I THINK muzzleloaders are considered legal during any small game season. Again there is ample public land with some huge chunks designated wilderness. There are swamps in the southern part and mountains in the north both of which hold hogs.

Randy, more then welcome to come hunt bears in Pa. All on public ground but we chase for bears here not sure if sponsors would approve of that. It's a good time with family and friends and we usually kill a few!

Sacramento valley refuge waterfowl hunt, hard core public land hunters. Everyone should experience it once.

Sacramento valley refuge waterfowl hunt, hard core public land hunters. Everyone should experience it once.
I remember the sweatlines of Mendota,Kern,Griz IL,Sac & Colusa . Ducks,geese,occational phesant.
A Blacktail, Tule or Rosie hunt would be cool. But odds of the elk slim & none and the Rosie & Blacktail would be real hard to film even if Randy wore a camera on his head.
I'll do some NM coues scouting during this years mulie hunt. Easy draw off the radar unit. Coues would be cool.

All are good ideas that would be fun to try.

For sake of explanation, odds are we will not end up back east. Not because I wouldn't want to do it, but because sponsors want us to feature western big game hunts. They employ a lot of other marketing dollars in eastern/midwestern whitetails and turkeys, waterfowl, pigs, and other hunts. The hardest commodity to find in the TV world is high quality self-guided public land hunts in the west. When they invest money in that type of content, that is what they want us to deliver.

You might see some waterfowl and other hunts on our YouTube channel, but due to costs and low budgets for YouTube episodes, they will mostly be around here. As for NZ. If I go there, or Finland, it will be for personal hunting pleasure. Cameras will get left at home and Mrs. Fin will come along.

Thanks for the good ideas.

Three new things we have yet to do that are probably closest to becoming a TV episode reality are;

- AZ Coues Whitetails (archery) will get accomplished this winter.

- CA/OR/WA Columbia Blacktail when I can fit it in the schedule.

- OR/WA Roosevelt elk, again, when I can fit it in the schedule.

- ID whitetail.

- AK Caribou, when I can sort out the logistics.

Since we do mostly rifle hunts and most of our sponsors are in the firearm sphere, don't expect to see more than 2-3 archery hunts per year. And probably no muzzle loader hunts. Just the way it works. If we do more archery hunts than that, or a muzzy hunt, they will be YouTube episodes.

Just keep doing what your doing!

I'm with this. It's a great show as it is. No outfitters, no bait piles, etc. Just a question though, why does everyone always want to take kids on doe/cow hunts. Take 'em on a tough hunt. Teach them there is no instant gratification.

Last edited:
All are good ideas that would be fun to try.

For sake of explanation, odds are we will not end up back east. Not because I wouldn't want to do it, but because sponsors want us to feature western big game hunts. They employ a lot of other marketing dollars in eastern/midwestern whitetails and turkeys, waterfowl, pigs, and other hunts. The hardest commodity to find in the TV world is high quality self-guided public land hunts in the west. When they invest money in that type of content, that is what they want us to deliver.

You might see some waterfowl and other hunts on our YouTube channel, but due to costs and low budgets for YouTube episodes, they will mostly be around here. As for NZ. If I go there, or Finland, it will be for personal hunting pleasure. Cameras will get left at home and Mrs. Fin will come along.

Thanks for the good ideas.

Three new things we have yet to do that are probably closest to becoming a TV episode reality are;

- AZ Coues Whitetails (archery) will get accomplished this winter.

- CA/OR/WA Columbia Blacktail when I can fit it in the schedule.

- OR/WA Roosevelt elk, again, when I can fit it in the schedule.

- ID whitetail.

- AK Caribou, when I can sort out the logistics.

Since we do mostly rifle hunts and most of our sponsors are in the firearm sphere, don't expect to see more than 2-3 archery hunts per year. And probably no muzzle loader hunts. Just the way it works. If we do more archery hunts than that, or a muzzy hunt, they will be YouTube episodes.

A rifle hunt for hogs in California would be cool. Not sure they have any public land with hogs AND they got some screwy rules there though.

If you guys want to film a real challenge do a diy sambar back country hunt in Australia. A local show Beyond the divide has done it a couple of times and it always shows the true spirit of hunting I reckon.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back