Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Default

I am interested in more information on how to select a camp site on BLM or Forest land. A Randy "Camp Dump".
    I am starting my DIY adventure this year and want to get as much info as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hultontool View Post
    I am interested in more information on how to select a camp site on BLM or Forest land. A Randy "Camp Dump".
    I am starting my DIY adventure this year and want to get as much info as possible.
    We just did that for an upcoming Alaska black bear hunt that will air on YouTube. We also edited all the specialized equipment we use on that type of trip. To go along with our past video of how to do that hunt for $2,000, we did another clip focused on how to draw the tags and the logistics of getting there, what cities to fly into, etc.

We have received a lot of comments about a "Camp Dump." I think we will do that for many of our hunts this season, given so many people are asking that.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

Randy,

How about spot & stalk 101? I don't understand the long range shooting craze. Perhaps they can be inspired

Quote Originally Posted by dukes_daddy View Post
    Randy,

How about spot & stalk 101? I don't understand the long range shooting craze. Perhaps they can be inspired
    If I am the host, it will probably be "spot and scare 101." I have lots of footage to prove that.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fin View Post
    If I am the host, it will probably be "spot and scare 101." I have lots of footage to prove that.
    That's why we love your show. We can all relate. My brother is affectionately nicknamed "crunch-crunch"

6. Default

How about a hunt in one of National Monuments in Utah either Grand Staircase or Bears Ears. Was just in Grand Staircase and surprised at all the turkey sign. This could help educate folks on the multiple use allow on monuments.

Quote Originally Posted by hunthayden View Post
    How about a hunt in one of National Monuments in Utah either Grand Staircase or Bears Ears. Was just in Grand Staircase and surprised at all the turkey sign. This could help educate folks on the multiple use allow on monuments.
    You get me a San Juan elk tag and I'll be on that like a United Airlines employee on an overbooked passenger.

Are you flying United this year randy

Quote Originally Posted by rlmmatt View Post
    Are you flying United this year randy
    Nope. DELTA - Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport

For National Monuments. Could do a late deer in Seguero in Arizona or an archery elk in the Upper Missouri River Breaks. Both are easy tags to get.

I think an archery deer hunt in the jungles of NW Montana or the Selkirks would sure be neat. I've been eyeing that myself.

If you wind up with a huge budget somehow, the obvious choice is a Canmore Bow-Zone Bighorn hunt.

Oregon Roosevelt Elk Bow Hunt, stop at this mile marker and don't let it pass, and bring Jacobsen with ya
    Last edited by OregonChris; 05-22-2017 at 04:22 AM.
    Soli Deo Gloria - To GOD alone the GLORY

12. Default

Randy, do you apply for either a cow or bull bison in wyoming. Cow bison is actually a harder hunt and is one unique hunt. Drew the tag last year and killed an 11 year old cow with my bow. I think viewers would appreciate that one.

Another idea since sheep are amazing and most of us will never draw would be the unlimited units in montana. It's right in line with the style of your show, hunt until the quota is filled. Pure public land anyone can buy a tag for 850 bucks or so.

The last idea would be to auction a hunt off with a viewer, some decent elk hunt otc, with a rifle. However, all proceeds go to rmef, or back country hunters and anglers. The other catch would be you pay for all bids in an online setup, tax deductible donations, so first bid is 1 cent or higher and is actually paid, next bid could be 2 cents or 2k. Set it up and broadcast that it's being done, you could raise serious money so rmef could help buy the next rmef property.
    Last edited by kevinfoerster; 06-03-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Typos

Randy is it possible to do a Q & A or short session on the possibilities and pitfalls of a overseas hunter doing a public land western hunt for deer or elk?

Ever hear of the Lake Amistad National Recreation Area? I made a couple trips down there when I lived in Texas. It's right on the border. There's some interesting history about the reservoir - Amistad means friendship in Spanish. It's archery only for big game. I should a little tag horn whitetail one time, but got very close to several mouflon sheep. There are also javelina and wild hogs, but never in the area I hunted. I really wanted a mouflon. I saw a lot, but never quite closed the deal.

It's rough country out there. Rocky canyons and coulies. There were quite a few hunters as well, but you can get away from them if you're willing to walk.

It's a surprisingly large area of public land, considering it's Texas, which is almost all private. Interesting place with a diversity of game.

15. Default

after watching the outdoor channel this week and seeing all the game that is left over night, i would like to see a show on how to salvage the meat and then have them eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by dmandoes View Post
    after watching the outdoor channel this week and seeing all the game that is left over night, i would like to see a show on how to salvage the meat and then have them eat it.
    Network won't allow an episode like that, so you will have to accept our YouTube version.

Randy, I love your show. I think your product placement is done with good taste and by no means obnoxious like many other shows. I have refused to buy certain products due to their annoying catch phrases repeatedly uttered by corny hosts. One great webisode that I would like to see is one of you documenting conservation projects or giving some air time to organizations such as D.U. and R.M.E.F explaining some of their current project, how to volunteer, the importance giving back to the resources, and what their projects future includes. I think you do a great job promoting such groups, but I would find it really cool if you documented a restoration project, tagging effort, or radio collar study. Even if it is just something locally around your area in Montana.

18. Default

Bored enough I clicked on this to see what it is all about. I've never seen this show (or any hunting tv that would amount to more than channel surfing) so take it for what that makes it worth... but I can tell you that for DIY people just adding a new twist to an existing hunt/species would add a lot of viewer interest. Alternative pack stock might be something you should look at. Most DIY people are scared/intimidated by traditional pack stock of horses/mules, whether this is warranted is another subject.

But goats, dogs, donkeys/burros, llamas can all add tremendously to a hunters range and success, specifically after a kill is made. None of these seem to intimidate most people either in the logistics of acquiring or transporting, nor their use/care in the back country. They specifically appeal to kids, women, and guys over fifty if these are demos you wish to target.

As far as species/hunts, all you have to do is watch the trailers for the other shows before they take you to XYZ county for a thrilling turkey hunt! Those shots of sheep elk etc are what baits 'em in for the switch...
    Bestowing wisdom and moral purity, even on the unworthy and unwilling... especially upon them.

An ignore list??? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?

Greatest hunting show on television. Thanks for keeping it going. I'm positive it is more work and personal expense than we all realize.
    Would be interested in seeing some Montana mountain goat hunts in southwest corner in the Beartooth mountains. While your at it , a Wyoming elk hunt in the Northwestern part of the state. Some footage of the scenery along the Beartooth Highway going between the two states would be fantastic.
    Loved the recent show in Nevada with your son. More father / son episodes get my vote.
    Your son seems like great young man. He reminds my wife and I of our 17 year old son.
    Hope you can keep the show going , it would be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Millsworks View Post
    Greatest hunting show on television. Thanks for keeping it going. I'm positive it is more work and personal expense than we all realize.
    Would be interested in seeing some Montana mountain goat hunts in southwest corner in the Beartooth mountains. While your at it , a Wyoming elk hunt in the Northwestern part of the state. Some footage of the scenery along the Beartooth Highway going between the two states would be fantastic.
    Loved the recent show in Nevada with your son. More father / son episodes get my vote.
    Your son seems like great young man. He reminds my wife and I of our 17 year old son.
    Hope you can keep the show going , it would be missed.
    I should say I did see the goat hunt episode done near there.
    I more specifically would like to see you with your son there with a tag.
    Drawing the tag is certainly an investment though. I realize you and your son my not be that interested in a mountain goat hunt.
    It is just something my son and I always talked about doing.

How about a California Colombian Blacktail hunt. Which I believe is open now

22. Default

I think you should have an episode of hunting with your wife. Also was wondering how you get to hunt so much throughout the year, away from the family. Maybe a family hunting trip would be a good episode, or couple of episodes.

I have young children and try to get them watching hunting shows, take them on quad rides, etc. Tough to get a trip away 7hr drive, small kids out in the woods to hunt. Wife is not into the hunting thing, but never complains about eating bacon wrapped elk tenderloins.

Perhaps another idea for a show is showing people how to butcher their own meat once it's home and has been hanging a couple of days. To me, butchering/wrapping your own is where the true meaning of hunting really is. All that work to get an animal, and then process it into roasts/steaks/sausage is where the time in the hunt truly pays off.

And while your at it, maybe some wild game recipes / cooking.

Anyhow keep up the good work. Really appreciate your enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Bored enough I clicked on this to see what it is all about. I've never seen this show (or any hunting tv that would amount to more than channel surfing) so take it for what that makes it worth... but I can tell you that for DIY people just adding a new twist to an existing hunt/species would add a lot of viewer interest. Alternative pack stock might be something you should look at. Most DIY people are scared/intimidated by traditional pack stock of horses/mules, whether this is warranted is another subject.

But goats, dogs, donkeys/burros, llamas can all add tremendously to a hunters range and success, specifically after a kill is made. None of these seem to intimidate most people either in the logistics of acquiring or transporting, nor their use/care in the back country. They specifically appeal to kids, women, and guys over fifty if these are demos you wish to target.

As far as species/hunts, all you have to do is watch the trailers for the other shows before they take you to XYZ county for a thrilling turkey hunt! Those shots of sheep elk etc are what baits 'em in for the switch...
    far more to it than being intimidated by stock. Lotta money involved to get set up to use stock! from possibly buying a different truck to be able to haul them, a trailer, biggest one property to own horses, saddles,pads,boxes reins etc its endless. oh and take care of them year round! feed bill vet bills all for the avg hunter to use them on 1 trip a year.

Is the Nevada hunt with Randy and his son posted someplace? I did a quick YouTube search this a.m and didn't come across it.

25. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTNNW View Post
    far more to it than being intimidated by stock. Lotta money involved to get set up to use stock! from possibly buying a different truck to be able to haul them, a trailer, biggest one property to own horses, saddles,pads,boxes reins etc its endless. oh and take care of them year round! feed bill vet bills all for the avg hunter to use them on 1 trip a year.
    Agree entirely which is why so many people are fascinated by the possibilities of alternative pack stock. Show them some video, throw in some factual info and the wheels start spinning. I have 17 llamas on 2-1/2 acres, costs 1 big bale/year/animal, had my first vet bill in five years (it was $30) last month. Show them some video of 4 llamas in an 8' bed driving up to a trailhead and jumping out like dogs to carry your stuff into the back country, most people start to thinking it is something they can afford.

IMG_0317 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC01875 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

and the answer to only one trip a year is (besides make more trips) rent don't buy, the animals need to be in condition for the same reasons you should be in condition.
    Bestowing wisdom and moral purity, even on the unworthy and unwilling... especially upon them.

An ignore list??? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast