Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This a Hopkins and Allen 722 .22 lr that I shot all the time as a kid. It was my paternal grandfather's and where it was before him, I do not know. He may have been first owner, but I doubt it. Anyway, I had it relined and gifted it to a guy with a couple of young kids that was looking for a "starter rifle".

I came to me without a forearm, and I shot it as such all of my life, But then, a friend found one for me at a gun show, so it is now complete.

Horrible picture but....

8MM German Mauser sniper rifle complete with swastika stamping and original scope. My grandfather picked it up out of the rubble in Germany in the 1940's when he was in the service. It was still in the crate packed in kosmoline but had a busted stock. He shipped it home, had it "sporterized" and it is now in the hands of my father. We have a picture of him hunting with it in the mid to late 40's. Absolutely no idea how many deer it harvested but it has some serious miles on it. Hopefully someday I can pass it on to my children.

It saw its first western hunt this past year and was successful

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  158.2 KB

Dad's first year production Browning BSS. He purchased it in 2007, shot it twice and then gave it to me since it fit him so poorly & the recoil was brutal for him. I refinished the stocks, shot it for a few years for trap & upland, then gifted it to my niece over Christmas since she's interested in bird hunting now and only had a 20 gauge NEF single shot. Keeping it in the family!

Name:  bss.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  67.9 KB
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Lucky niece.

It's funny how hard an ill fitting .20 gauge can hit you. I can shoot almost any 12 gauge, but there are a surprising number of 20s that beat me up bad.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
    With my Fathers passing this February, I recently inherited this Browning "Twelvette" shotgun. This gun is loaded with great memories for both him and I. He bought it when he was in college and used it to hunt dove and pheasant on his family's farm. When I started hunting he let me use it for the same purpose until I could save enough money to buy my own shotgun. I will miss him and our times in the outdoors together, but every time I take this shotgun out this fall, I will be bringing a little bit of him with me. This thread is for all of you who have a firearm or other piece of outdoor equipment that has a special part in your family history. Let's hear your story.Attachment 59363Attachment 59364
    Guess I haven't seen this. That looks like a Browning Double Auto! Only semi auto I'd ever own. Had one when I wasn't old enough t know better. Mine was a blued action and probably the finest shotgun I ever owned! That say's something I think, I have three AyA's right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Guess I haven't seen this. That looks like a Browning Double Auto! Only semi auto I'd ever own. Had one when I wasn't old enough t know better. Mine was a blued action and probably the finest shotgun I ever owned! That say's something I think, I have three AyA's right now!
    That is correct. The Twelvette was the aluminum action version of the Browning Double Auto and came in several different colors of action. The Double Auto also came in a standard steel action as well. It is a great gun and a pleasure to carry in the field.

Oddly enough, I had to buy a second gun safe, just for all the heirloom guns... I'm the only grandson on my mom's side, and I'm the oldest son of the oldest son (and the only grandson out of 7 that hunts/shoots) on my dad's side... all rolls up to the hunting/fishing traditions of 2 families landing on me.

When my paternal grandfather got back to the states from the Pacific during WWII, the first thing he bought was a Winchester Model 94 in .30-30. He put a lot of meat on the table over the years for my dad and his 8 siblings with that rifle, and according to my uncles, they all fought over who got to use it once they started hunting. When I was 12 and wanted to start hunting (my dad had drifted away from the sport previously) Grandpa passed that rifle down to me. I was lucky enough to take my first deer and my first elk with it when I was in high school. Grandpa passed away in '99, but that rifle is a constant reminder of a great man. This year my wife decided she wanted to see what if felt like to take an active part in providing meat as well. She came out to the lease with me, and shot a whitetail doe with it. She get emotional from the realities of taking a life so that we could eat, I may or may not have gotten a little misty eyed with the emotions of being very very proud of my wife, and thinking about my grandpa.

Fast forward to this spring, and my wife tells me that after 3 years of trying, she's pregnant. God willing and the creek don't rise "The Player to be Named Later" should arrive right after hunting season... but I can't wait to teach that kid how to hunt, fish, shoot, respect and love the natural world, and pass that rifle down to them.

Great story about a great rifle, Backofbeyond. And congratulations to you and your wife on your "Player to be named Later".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123