NM off-range Oryx

zia

I promised Smaltz I would post some pictures of my sons off-range Oryx he harvested this weekend. We had to hustle to get the meat taken care of, it was 93 degrees! We hunted a friends ranch where the Oryx have really moved in the last couple of years. Earlier in the day we passed on 3 cows, blew a stalk on another nice one and finally connected. Smoked a bacon-wrapped fresh tenderloin for dinner.....oh my!matt off range oryx.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, its a beautiful and obviously effective weapon. I bought it after I won the leica scope in a magazine subscription promotion. What else could I do but buy a new rifle for the new scope? ( at least thats how I explained it to my bride)

Very cool! Those are one exotic I'd prefer to shoot here than where they come from. Gorgeous critter.

Congrats. Is that a bull or a cow?

Looks like a bull with the nice mass on the bottom of the horns. It doesn't matter to me (I got a cow this year) as they are the best eating period!

i agree it looks like a bull but it is a cow, 32" long on one side and 34 1/2" on the other with big bases for a female. We didn't really care since it was off-range, just trying for one with both horns intact. We passed on some broken-horn and no-horned cows earlier in the day. We do enjoy the meat, even my picky wife and daughter like oryx. They seem to be spreading, a few years ago we never saw them on my friends place and now they are very common, we get them on trail cams everyday.

Congrats, very very nice! I've been putting in for range tag for many years ........ hoping to someday put my ugly face in a pic of an animal that looks that cool.

Nice looking oryx. I was down there last November with a friend from here in Iowa who had an off range tag but he never got it filled. We did see a group of four and a single but could not get a shot.We did have great time and we both applied for this year but were not successful.

Nice! That gal defies all of the rules then for judging. The rings go as high up as a bull's usually does, from what I recall when prepping for my one and only hunt.

Tell your friend I'd be happy to drive down from Socorro and help cull some broken ones if I ever draw off range. ��

She fooled me and I have tagged, collared, darted or relocated almost 200 Oryx in different Game Dept and WSMR projects from ground and helicopter but like I said we didn't care. She is a beautiful animal, making jerky from the trim pile now.

Last edited:
Back