Yeti GOBOX Collection

516-50 Montana Moose Ride-a-long

Great job on both your hunt and on documenting it. Glad to see you got a nice bull!

I thought one of the cooler aspects of this years hunt was the day to day interaction with the construction workers on the Boulder. They've had a long spring, summer, and fall of grinding away to make improvements to drainage and run-off that has been impacting the road. The pilot car driver's, flaggers, heavy equipment operators, everyone, was excited to give us reports on the latest moose sighting, and were constantly asking how the hunt was going while we were in the area. Some of the kindest folks, and a testament to the type of people who call Montana home. Not 5 minutes prior to us spotting Ike's bull, one of the flaggers had told us that we needed to go find and kill a bull that day. Shortly after Ike's bull hit the ground, one of the pilot car drivers came screeching up having heard the shots. He was there to celebrate with us, and was just as excited as any one of us. The local foreman even half jokingly wondered aloud if there was a way to get a backhoe to the moose (river crossing and all). After the pack out, we made a point to stop and chat with each of the employees who had been so invested in a complete strangers hunt.

DSC_0978.jpg

Matching vests and all!

Last edited:
Reactions: JCS
YoungGun, that is a cool PS to your hunting adventure. Kudos to you for sharing the result with the highway workers.

You fellas' two years on the greater Boulder drainages have been a wonderful stroll down memory lane for me. I know every darn place you two have been for the past two years, and I've enjoyed seeing moose, deer, elk, bear, and "trout" in there my whole life. I first went up the Boulder as a young tike with my dad in 1954. Truth is, it hasn't changed all that much. Access along the mountain front is of course much tighter, and grizzlies are thicker, but the country is great and always has been.

A hearty congratulations on both of your efforts. Maybe with new knees and finally drawing a tag I can post my story next year!!!

mbbmt,
I can only imagine what the drainage was like 50 years ago! It's still plenty wild, but I can only imagine it was a bit more back then with less visitors. I hope you're still enjoying the Boulder and surrounding area, and that you draw this tag in the coming years! It would be great to follow along on another Boulder River Moose hunt! And there's a lot of bulls this year that only needed a few more years, and a lot of calves that are a blessing for the unit if they can make it through the winter!

Congrats on the tag @Montana Advocate ! I am looking forward to having this thread live with another HuntTalk member.
I am fortunate enough to be friends with the two who originally started this thread, and was also lucky enough to tag along on some of the hunts with them. I was there for @YoungGun 's packout - was one of the most memorable packouts I will probably have in my life. Again, looking forward to hearing about your summer scouting and hunt this fall - send me a PM if you ever need some info or want someone to tag along! Cheers!

Congrats on the tag! That is my favorite area of the state, ran into 3 moose bear while bear hunting last weekend near the boulder.

Congrats on the tag @Montana Advocate ! I am looking forward to having this thread live with another HuntTalk member.
I am fortunate enough to be friends with the two who originally started this thread, and was also lucky enough to tag along on some of the hunts with them. I was there for @YoungGun 's packout - was one of the most memorable packouts I will probably have in my life. Again, looking forward to hearing about your summer scouting and hunt this fall - send me a PM if you ever need some info or want someone to tag along! Cheers!
I'll second that and attest to SHolt's packing ability- Thanks to his strong back and that of Ike14 and another good friend, we got an entire bull off the mountain in one trip, entire hide/head, and every scrap of meat down to the ribs. Congrats on the Tag! You're in for an absolute blast in some of Montana's most beautiful country! Please message me with any questions- and do us all a favor and keep the thread going!

I'll second that and attest to SHolt's packing ability- Thanks to his strong back and that of Ike14 and another good friend, we got an entire bull off the mountain in one trip, entire hide/head, and every scrap of meat down to the ribs. Congrats on the Tag! You're in for an absolute blast in some of Montana's most beautiful country! Please message me with any questions- and do us all a favor and keep the thread going!
welcome back

I just saw and read all 8 pages of this thread. Congratulations to both YoungGun and Ike14! Great write ups and pics! You both certainly put your time in and worked hard for your moose. (y)(y)

I just saw and read all 8 pages of this thread. Congratulations to both YoungGun and Ike14! Great write ups and pics! You both certainly put your time in and worked hard for your moose. (y)(y)
Thank you! We made memories that will last us a life time, and we ate like kings for the better part of three years between the two moose. Thankful for the opportunity to scout and hunt such a unique animal, and for the great public land in Montana to enjoy while doing so.
I'm glad the thread got revived and may just help one of the current tag-holders shorten their learning curve so they can maximize the fun and adventure that this tag can provide!

I was lucky enough to draw the tag this year. I look forward to providing an update on my hunt.
How goes the hunt, Advocate? It’s sure been a great start to fall, if not a touch warm. I saw three cows cruising the Boulder last weekend and a small bull in the Mission Creek area this last Saturday.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back