Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Alaska Black Bear hunt logistics <$2,000 (video)

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of our new "logistics" videos. Since we do this hunt every year, we ended with a lot of emails and questions about the logistics and costs. This doesn't answer them all, but will cover most the bases.

Let us know what you think of these "logistic" videos. If you find them worthwhile, we will be doing more of them, for different states/species.

Thanks for watching. Please share with your friends.

P.S. that thumbnail clip is a bit of a teaser of the upcoming YouTube exclusive AK black bear hunt we filmed in May that will air on YouTube later this year. That bear is a B&C bear and he is at 60 yards, giving his best pose in auditioning to be a TV star.

Last edited:
Excellent video Randy. I'll be watching all your future logistics videos.

Double edged sword in all the hunter education that you do, Big Fin. Showing folks how it can be done increases others competing for draws and quarry, and while I admire and understand the need for hunter recruitment and increasing interest in outdoors adventuring, a selfish part of me must admit that on one level, I wish there were fewer hunters (competitors) after MY big and even small game. :eek:

Really well done synopsis of how accessible Alaska coastal black bear hunting can be for the regular guy seeking adventure.

As always, looking forward to another class in Professor Newberg's Youtube University.

Loved the video and was very educational for me. I would love to see similar videos of different species in other states as well! Thanks for all that you do!

How did TSA put holes in your inflatable ? accidentally or intentionally ? what was it rolled up inside of ?

I have an inflatable that I have used in Hawaii and the Bering Sea and I have packed it in a large ( max measurements allowed on airlines ) metal military box. Well protected but heavy when empty, I was considering going with a soft lightweight case but now I'm not so sure.

The ocean smells and the weather sucks. Better pass on this one guys. ;)

Besides, the conversion rate is all FUBAR after Brexit.

Just watched this the other night. Awesome info thanks for sharing information like this.

Double edged sword in all the hunter education that you do, Big Fin. Showing folks how it can be done increases others competing for draws and quarry, and while I admire and understand the need for hunter recruitment and increasing interest in outdoors adventuring, a selfish part of me must admit that on one level, I wish there were fewer hunters (competitors) after MY big and even small game. :eek:

your fear of more competition is a real one. after watching a few of Randy's Alaskan black bear hunts and watching this youtube video, I've decided to try a DIY hunt as soon as I can draw a tag and make it up there. I've already started to read Alaska.gov to try and figure out the draw process. Man these rules and regulations always make me feel dumb. I'm going to search the forum for threads before I start posting questions. I'm pumped for this hunt and it seems I cant even apply till at least November. its nice to have something to look forward to!

excellent video Big Fin. got my wheels churning for an Alaska adventure. makes it more of a real possibility.

your fear of more competition is a real one. after watching a few of Randy's Alaskan black bear hunts and watching this youtube video, I've decided to try a DIY hunt as soon as I can draw a tag and make it up there. I've already started to read Alaska.gov to try and figure out the draw process. Man these rules and regulations always make me feel dumb. I'm going to search the forum for threads before I start posting questions. I'm pumped for this hunt and it seems I cant even apply till at least November. its nice to have something to look forward to!

The AK draw is fairly straight forward. The only kicker for a non resident is that you have to have either a current AK hunting license or a license for the year you are applying for. A pretty expensive requirement for a first time application. Carefully read the "Draw Hunt Supplement" - for 2018 - 2019 it probably will be available by September (October at the latest). You can apply between November 1 and December 15. You are allowed to put 6 applications in per species. You can split up the 6 applications for different hunts or combine them all for 1 hunt (on most hunts). At $10 an application, this is relatively cheap. On the last page of the supplement is a listing of percentage of draw success.

just curious in Washington have access to boat pow black bear bucket list hunt question guy chair bound is it realistic for me to do thanks

I know IM a bit late to the party here but new to the site and just saw your videos very nice and getting help with logistics from someone that has done it is great help

This is one of our new "logistics" videos. Since we do this hunt every year, we ended with a lot of emails and questions about the logistics and costs. This doesn't answer them all, but will cover most the bases.

Let us know what you think of these "logistic" videos. If you find them worthwhile, we will be doing more of them, for different states/species.

[video=youtube_share;q8RMskUU7Hc]

Thanks for watching. Please share with your friends.

P.S. that thumbnail clip is a bit of a teaser of the upcoming YouTube exclusive AK black bear hunt we filmed in May that will air on YouTube later this year. That bear is a B&C bear and he is at 60 yards, giving his best pose in auditioning to be a TV star.

This video is an excellent resource for a guy who is dreaming about doing a hunt like this. Definitely covers a lot of the big ticket expenses and gives me a place to start!

So throwing this out there, POW (Unit 2 Kosciusko Island has better bear, at least what i can remember as a kid) is a very attractive place to go hunt Black bear. Now not as attractive is Unit 1A, there bears dont get as big, but there are a lot of bear here. Generally speaking a decent number of non resident tags make it to the OTC stage for this unit. Its also cheaper to hunt here because you have to land here to go to POW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back