Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming bison

Got word today, cleared. Hoping to get my brass back at least. Don't think anyone is getting any charges. The meat is great!! Aged 14 days in our garage. Hide is off to Moyle Mink and Tannery.
For those looking to apply for next year be prepared to hunt on a moment's notice. It is not a gimme hunt.

Thanks, Congrats I'm glad everything worked out! Someday I'll get that tag I hope.

Got word today, cleared. Hoping to get my brass back at least. Don't think anyone is getting any charges. The meat is great!! Aged 14 days in our garage. Hide is off to Moyle Mink and Tannery.
For those looking to apply for next year be prepared to hunt on a moment's notice. It is not a gimme hunt.

Glad everything worked out for you. Congratulations on a great hunt! I was going to try my luck at applying this year. It seems that the season ended at variable times over the past few years. Does the season closure occur when a certain quota is reached, or when they start feeding on the NER?

I wasn't going to apply this year, but I got the email this morning from G&F saying it was the last day and couldn't resist. It looks like odds for NR cow tags were roughly 1/6 in 2016.

I've thrown my name in the hat as well. Unfortunately due to Buzz's latest news on WY new rate hikes, it looks like this very well might be my last year of applying for that tag. REALLY hoping I draw it, since I'm 0 for 2 these last couple of years.

I think any successful draw HuntTalkers should stay in contact and maybe "team up" for the hunt. I know if I were to be successful I'd welcome the company.

Just my 0.02

Great job! I always wanted to shoot a buffalo.

If you're in a hurry and don't want to wait on draws, etc., contact Randy Routier of Routier Outfitting and he can fix you up reasonably. I do realize this is an "on your own" type forum but there are options for those time limited folks. I did a recent cow bison hunt with them and was more than pleased with their whole set up that I'm going to book a whitetail hunt there with them also.

Ok thanks. I got i the draw just wasn't sure when theu drew. Also did they cut cow tags from 250 down to like 50 this year?

DSCN0623.jpg

Found out my cow was 4.5 years old.
Good luck in the draw everyone, reduction in tags should make the hunt more enjoyable.

Good luck!! The tag reduction should make for a more enjoyable hunt. I would recc. Eli Hale at Western Sky Outfitters for drag services.
Make sure you call the Jackson office of G&F very often when the season gets going.
Don't forget to apply for your NER permit drawing.
You will love the meat.

Greetings from SoFLA!

I was fortunate enough to draw a NR Bull tag this year and wanted to get some suggestions on gear...I'm bringing my .375 (too much?) and have "cold weather gear" (Cabela's wool, insulated boots, etc) but want to make sure I'm not overestimating or underestimating...Just looking for some "this is what I wore and brought" lists.

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully I'll update with a success picture around Christmas/New Years!

Are you using a guide service or DIY? Tag and Drag or Eli Hale are all you really need if you can judge them on the hoof, size and bull or cow.
If you wait until winter have some snow shoes and good cold weather clothing. Bulls can be taken much earlier in the season but you'll have to hunt them, then, on the forest. Grizz are a real concern then.
Good comfortable boots are a must. 375 will work great. I used a 165 gr swift A frame bullet in my 300wsm and it only took one shot, while the other guided hunters shot multiple times at their bison. No clue why, a well placed shot puts them right down. Range finder and good binos too will be needed.
Bulls can be bow hunted too .
I layered up with Sitka or Core4element pants over wool base layers and my King of the Mountain wool shirt and coat. It was cold when I hunted. Good boots for cold and walking are a must. We put in many miles looking for them on the edge of the refuge.

Good luck, the bulls are awesome and I would wait til winter for the best robe. You should get a very large , nice bull!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back