Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming bison

There is very little to any vegetation out on the Refuge. It's just one big flatland that has very short grass and you can see across it without seeing a tree or bush, just elk and Bison. You can see what the country looks like in this photo of my buddy with his 2014 bull that he shot the middle of December. Sorry the bull elk picture got on this post as I clicked on the wrong photo and don't know how to delete it!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-31-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Never apologize for posting a pic of a nice bull.

Quote Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
    Never apologize for posting a pic of a nice bull.
    ^^This
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!!

This has been a great thread and I've really enjoyed following it. I'm going to try my luck and apply this year.

Attachment 66268[ATTACH]66269[/ 3 days of hard hunting, finally got it done. The main herd was not on the refuge when we hit town so miles and miles of hiking to find some. 5 miles the first day all along the north side of the refuge, quarter mile of post holeing through deep snow. 2 miles the second through deep snow and finally the last day 2 miles and located the group that had crossed over in the night. They were spooked by another hunter just as we were getting close enough for a shot but doggedly we humped it back down the hollow to catch up just as other guided horseback hunter took shots.
    My shot was about 200 yards, double lunged her. She only went less than 50 yards after the shot. Bullet passed through shoulder blade both sides of ribcage an lodged just under the hide opposite side, 300wsm with 165 gr Swift A frame bullet. One shot clean kill. The guided hunters proceeded to shoot their bison multiple times, have no clue why. Tag and Drag brought her to the retrieval road and we quartered in the field ourselves, 2 hours for skinning and quartering. The only bad experience was one young guides shooter put down a young bull and a cow. He tried to throw me under the bus but the truth is coming out. My bullet is accounted for and the federal warden has seen the proof. That guide picked the wrong person to falsely accuse. His shooter ricocheted 2 bullets and had to shoot 4 times at a distance of 40 yards and less . I won't mention his outfit because he is the black sheep there, the owners are great folks. Tag and Drag is the way to go with retrieval, they were going everywhere in the deep snow. Matt's Meats was in the field to take the guided hunter bison in for processing, I would highly recommend him after talking at length with him in the field. We will age and process ourselves if the garage gets warm enough for the aging part. Beautiful 2 1/2 year old cow will yield about 250 lbs of meat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by wytex; 01-04-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Congrats! I'd say you earned it.

Way to get it done wytex and yes, Ralph & crew are the best!

Congrats. Great write up. Thanks

Awesome story and glad you got it done! I was up there at the end of Nov. for a shot at filling my elk tag on the refuge, I now completely understand the term of organized chaos on the refuge but that's a long story with what I assume is from the same outfit that gave you trouble. Again, congrats on the bison! Maybe this will be my year to draw the bison tag!

One thing I didn't mention was our clothing for the hunt. I am very cold natured and we hunted everyday in temps from 0 up to maybe 12 degrees. The snow was crusty on top and thigh deep in places. The animals make great passable trails where they walk but that was not everywhere we had to go. I wore Sitka 90 % pants with lightweight merino long johns as a base and the sitka polar fleece long underwear as a mid layer under the 90%s. I had Icebreaker merino top under a lightweight polar fleece pullover, a heavy weight polar fleece hooded sweatshirt, Core4element, and my King of the Mountain Bushman shirt and vest. Topped off with my KOM Bowman coat. Kenetrek gaiters over my Under Armour Brow Tine boots. The boots were the warmest I have ever worn. I had merino glove liners under my hunting gloves. The KOM gear we bought about 25 years ago when it was made here and it is great stuff. Wouldn't buy it today though, made elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by wytex View Post
    One thing I didn't mention was our clothing for the hunt. I am very cold natured and we hunted everyday in temps from 0 up to maybe 12 degrees. The snow was crusty on top and thigh deep in places. The animals make great passable trails where they walk but that was not everywhere we had to go. I wore Sitka 90 % pants with lightweight merino long johns as a base and the sitka polar fleece long underwear as a mid layer under the 90%s. I had Icebreaker merino top under a lightweight polar fleece pullover, a heavy weight polar fleece hooded sweatshirt, Core4element, and my King of the Mountain Bushman shirt and vest. Topped off with my KOM Bowman coat. Kenetrek gaiters over my Under Armour Brow Tine boots. The boots were the warmest I have ever worn. I had merino glove liners under my hunting gloves. The KOM gear we bought about 25 years ago when it was made here and it is great stuff. Wouldn't buy it today though, made elsewhere.
    Did you have snowshoes?

Congrats on a hunt well done and thanks for the great write up.

Yes I had snow shoes but for some stupid reason did not use them till the last day. They worked well except for the very dry powdery snow is some spots.Cross country skis would also be a good option for getting around the refuge. Need to give a shout out to Eli Hale at Western Skies Outfitters, formerly Treffren Outfitters. He was on the refuge everyday with retrieval services and guided horseback hunts for a day fee if needed. I would recommend his outfit as well. The season is over now as feeding will start on the refuge for elk this week. The number of bull tags will be reduced next year due to the number of accidental takes this season.

Got word today, cleared. Hoping to get my brass back at least. Don't think anyone is getting any charges. The meat is great!! Aged 14 days in our garage. Hide is off to Moyle Mink and Tannery.
    For those looking to apply for next year be prepared to hunt on a moment's notice. It is not a gimme hunt.

Congrats! that is awesome!
    "there is no replacement for displacement"

16. Default

Got word today, cleared. Hoping to get my brass back at least. Don't think anyone is getting any charges. The meat is great!! Aged 14 days in our garage. Hide is off to Moyle Mink and Tannery.
    For those looking to apply for next year be prepared to hunt on a moment's notice. It is not a gimme hunt.
    Thanks, Congrats I'm glad everything worked out! Someday I'll get that tag I hope.

Glad everything worked out for you. Congratulations on a great hunt! I was going to try my luck at applying this year. It seems that the season ended at variable times over the past few years. Does the season closure occur when a certain quota is reached, or when they start feeding on the NER?

Great job! I always wanted to shoot a buffalo.
    You did not "seen" anything. You "saw" it.
    Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
    New member of BHA.

Good job! I always wanted to kill a buffalo.
    You did not "seen" anything. You "saw" it.
    Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
    New member of BHA.

I wasn't going to apply this year, but I got the email this morning from G&F saying it was the last day and couldn't resist. It looks like odds for NR cow tags were roughly 1/6 in 2016.

I've thrown my name in the hat as well. Unfortunately due to Buzz's latest news on WY new rate hikes, it looks like this very well might be my last year of applying for that tag. REALLY hoping I draw it, since I'm 0 for 2 these last couple of years.

I think any successful draw HuntTalkers should stay in contact and maybe "team up" for the hunt. I know if I were to be successful I'd welcome the company.

Just my 0.02

Quote Originally Posted by bigdonniebrasco View Post
    I think any successful draw HuntTalkers should stay in contact and maybe "team up" for the hunt. I know if I were to be successful I'd welcome the company.

Just my 0.02
    I would be up for that if I were to draw. I only put in for the cow tag.

24. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post
    Great job! I always wanted to shoot a buffalo.
    If you're in a hurry and don't want to wait on draws, etc., contact Randy Routier of Routier Outfitting and he can fix you up reasonably. I do realize this is an "on your own" type forum but there are options for those time limited folks. I did a recent cow bison hunt with them and was more than pleased with their whole set up that I'm going to book a whitetail hunt there with them also.

25. Default

When des this draw take place?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast