Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming bison

wytex

Application for NER bison hunt access are online now. I recommend calling the Jackson office and talking with them about the prospects for this year. Last year was a strange hunt for bison in Wyoming. You need to applying and get a National Elk Refuge permit in the first drawing or pick one up after the drawing to be able to hunt the NER. This is where the bison will be. Last years 7 1/2 year old cow bison is tasting great. Can't wait for spouses cow this year.

First round of National Elk Refuge HMA permits have been drawn. Everyone needs to pick one up for access to the refuge. First come are available now. The bison are taken from the refuge, some bulls are taken from the forest lands. This is a migration hunt so they may not be on the refuge during your hunt period. The Jackson office of the G&F wants all bison hunters to call them before going over to hunt. They are great gals and will answer all your questions. Last season they moved really late, almost January before the large herd came over, usually December is when they start moving in.

4 Bulls down in Wyoming so far. Countdown to my December cow hunt. Last years bison meat is getting harder to find in the freezer.

Good luck on your hunt. Sounds like an awsome time. My wife and I were up there over the summer and seen that part of the country. Amazing place

Spouse took a cow last year and it was interesting. This is a population control hunt so it's not a wilderness type thing. One issue is the grizzlies will not be in hibernation until the elk hunt on the refuge is over, mid November, so we plan on late Dec. or Jan. Same issue with the Teton elk hunt, it is a population control and it is a zoo. Luckily the bison hunt is more "relaxed". Just have to walk in if the bison are on the elk refuge and take one before they fly the coop. Jackson in winter is beautiful. And surprisingly many are very hunter friendly there, some not so much.

I should clarify, the cow hunt is way different than a bull hunt could be. The bulls can be hunted in the forest and early, it is truly a hunt that way.The cows are pretty much wait and see til they cross.

IMG_9786.jpg Cow bison back from Moyle's Mink and Tannery. They did a beautiful job. Skull was done at home. Her robe is about 6 1/2 ft x 5 1/2 ft. Nice soft sueded leather on underside.

Herd is still up at Elk Ranch, hopefully New year's day cow hunt pans out.

Wytex what did it cost to have the hide tanned? Did you have to scrape it or anything? Or just ship it frozen?

Moyle Mink and Tannery charges $432 for a full hide, any size. Best price I found anywhere and it is beautiful. You pay shipping charges.We salted and dried the hide then shipped it to them. Careful skinning in the field left little to flesh at home. Our taxidermist friend laid it out for us in his shop for the salting, fine grain solar salt. That took about 3 days then he said it was good to go. Make sure you get as much blood out of the hair around the bullet holes or it may slip in those areas. They will tan the head for you but it adds to the price. We had the head tanned and it looks neat, next one will just have the neck and forehead attached. It took about 7 months and we could pay over summer until it was ready.
They will not take frozen hides but a taxidermist will flesh and salt for you at a price, we did the work just used his space .

Snowing and cold near Jackson and Grand Teton all week so maybe the herd will start down. At least a chance the season could be extended til the Jan.31 if conditions warrant it.

The bison are on the move. Close to 500 near Kelly. Frigid cold for this weekend so layer up. Might happen for a some hunters this weekend!!

They're on the NER. Good luck everyone!! Don't forget to pick up your biological sample kit at the Jackson office for brucellosis testing and tooth aging.

Anyone with a bison tag can call Jackson office and get a day permit. They are on the refuge, hunting is going well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back