Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming bison

The bison hunt may, probably close this coming Tuesday, Jan. 3. If you have a tag call the Jackson office and get over there, 307-733-2321.

wytex, I have really enjoyed gleaning this thread all fall as I am considering putting in for Bison next year. Just curious how far are these buffalo usually away from access? If I draw I will be hunting solo... for a BISON. While I'm all for hiking miles in for deer and slightly less for elk, A large cow may tax my pack muleing abilities. I realize there are recovery services for them. But I would rather do it myself closer to the truck than have to hire to recover. Any information you may like to share would be appreciated.

wytex, I have really enjoyed gleaning this thread all fall as I am considering putting in for Bison next year. Just curious how far are these buffalo usually away from access? If I draw I will be hunting solo... for a BISON. While I'm all for hiking miles in for deer and slightly less for elk, A large cow may tax my pack muleing abilities. I realize there are recovery services for them. But I would rather do it myself closer to the truck than have to hire to recover. Any information you may like to share would be appreciated.

You will be very surprised at how little the recovery services cost compared to doing what you're talking about, which I have to say is pretty foolish in the weather that you'll face out there. Let them drag it to a legal road with their horse, winch it up and gut it, and then truck it at least to your truck where you can then do your thing in order to come out of it alive. My buddy in Sheridan took a big bull in 2014 and a big cow this year and had nothing but praise for Ralph and his TagnDrag crew!

Last edited:
I helped a buddy with his cow on the NER last week and learned a few things.
--He learned that there are areas where Tag 'n Drag won't go due to drifted access. They have plenty of demand for the areas closer to their access points. If you're banking on the service, it's worth a call to ask if they'll retrieve where you'll be.
--Also, lots of people said "bring a sled" like it's a magic wand...I knew enough to be skeptical based on conditions and my backpack was the only thing getting stuff from point A to point B the night I went.
--There are other outfitters that will go get your animal if Tag n Drag is busy
--If you're comfortable winter backpacking you can probably make it happen on foot, but you can get in big trouble not very far off the road out there. Most people don't know how to take care of their gear and bodies in sustained winter temps. When I showed up to help I was the only one with liquid water, a way to heat it, shelter from the wind, and a belay jacket/pants.
--FWIW my buddy killed his about 1.5-1.75 miles from the nearest vehicle access. Given the snow depth it was roughly a 1 mph operation tops in that case. I'm led to believe that the distance to where most bison are killed, and where most bison are located are two different questions. I'd hit the game warden with that question, bet he's got an answer better informed than the NER as far as the kill sites are concerned.

Very very good points. Thank you. I would love to do the hunt but if I am unable to recover it, I won't shoot it. I will see how much they charge to recover and where they will recover. I have considered one of those chainsaw Capston winches and a sled in recent years. As an old boy who uses one once told me, "It's heavy, but a lot lighter than the whole elk I just drug out with it!" He used one and had a 300 foot spool of nylon rope. But I have no clue if there is anything to attach it to out there. I could make sagebrush work I guess. What do you guys think about using that for a Bison?

There is very little to any vegetation out on the Refuge. It's just one big flatland that has very short grass and you can see across it without seeing a tree or bush, just elk and Bison. You can see what the country looks like in this photo of my buddy with his 2014 bull that he shot the middle of December. Sorry the bull elk picture got on this post as I clicked on the wrong photo and don't know how to delete it!

Attachments

• Bull 2014.jpg
    Bull 2014.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:
Awesome story and glad you got it done! I was up there at the end of Nov. for a shot at filling my elk tag on the refuge, I now completely understand the term of organized chaos on the refuge but that's a long story with what I assume is from the same outfit that gave you trouble. Again, congrats on the bison! Maybe this will be my year to draw the bison tag!

One thing I didn't mention was our clothing for the hunt. I am very cold natured and we hunted everyday in temps from 0 up to maybe 12 degrees. The snow was crusty on top and thigh deep in places. The animals make great passable trails where they walk but that was not everywhere we had to go. I wore Sitka 90 % pants with lightweight merino long johns as a base and the sitka polar fleece long underwear as a mid layer under the 90%s. I had Icebreaker merino top under a lightweight polar fleece pullover, a heavy weight polar fleece hooded sweatshirt, Core4element, and my King of the Mountain Bushman shirt and vest. Topped off with my KOM Bowman coat. Kenetrek gaiters over my Under Armour Brow Tine boots. The boots were the warmest I have ever worn. I had merino glove liners under my hunting gloves. The KOM gear we bought about 25 years ago when it was made here and it is great stuff. Wouldn't buy it today though, made elsewhere.

One thing I didn't mention was our clothing for the hunt. I am very cold natured and we hunted everyday in temps from 0 up to maybe 12 degrees. The snow was crusty on top and thigh deep in places. The animals make great passable trails where they walk but that was not everywhere we had to go. I wore Sitka 90 % pants with lightweight merino long johns as a base and the sitka polar fleece long underwear as a mid layer under the 90%s. I had Icebreaker merino top under a lightweight polar fleece pullover, a heavy weight polar fleece hooded sweatshirt, Core4element, and my King of the Mountain Bushman shirt and vest. Topped off with my KOM Bowman coat. Kenetrek gaiters over my Under Armour Brow Tine boots. The boots were the warmest I have ever worn. I had merino glove liners under my hunting gloves. The KOM gear we bought about 25 years ago when it was made here and it is great stuff. Wouldn't buy it today though, made elsewhere.

Did you have snowshoes?

Yes I had snow shoes but for some stupid reason did not use them till the last day. They worked well except for the very dry powdery snow is some spots.Cross country skis would also be a good option for getting around the refuge. Need to give a shout out to Eli Hale at Western Skies Outfitters, formerly Treffren Outfitters. He was on the refuge everyday with retrieval services and guided horseback hunts for a day fee if needed. I would recommend his outfit as well. The season is over now as feeding will start on the refuge for elk this week. The number of bull tags will be reduced next year due to the number of accidental takes this season.

Got word today, cleared. Hoping to get my brass back at least. Don't think anyone is getting any charges. The meat is great!! Aged 14 days in our garage. Hide is off to Moyle Mink and Tannery.
For those looking to apply for next year be prepared to hunt on a moment's notice. It is not a gimme hunt.

Back