Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sportsman's Roundtable, Grand Junction, 7/13

Oak

Expert
I was just sentenced to two more years. I know there are a lot of folks here from the Grand Junction area, so come down, introduce yourself, and participate. The public will be electing two NW Region sportsman's representatives. If you are interested in that and have any questions, ask here or shoot me a message.

Hunters and anglers invited to Sportsmen's Roundtable caucus July 13 in Grand Junction, resident license fees on the agenda

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife urges hunters and anglers, or anyone who wants their voice heard regarding wildlife issues, to attend the next NW Region Sportsmen's Roundtable caucus in Grand Junction, Wednesday, July 13, at Colorado Mesa University, Meyer Ballroom in the University Center, 1455 North 12th Street.

Several important topics are on the agenda, including the election of two regional representatives and a presentation by CPW's Policy and Planning section seeking sportsmen's input on funding the future of wildlife management and conservation in Colorado.

CPW anticipates budget shortfalls which could be offset by increasing resident license fees. The last increase occurred in 2005 and since 2009, CPW has cut or defunded 50 positions and cut $40 million from its operating budget. Wildlife managers caution that additional cuts are inevitable without an increase in revenue.

"Colorado's wildlife faces more pressure now than ever before, including a growing human population, increasingly fragmented habitat and less young people involved in hunting," said NW Regional Manager Ron Velarde. "We have already undergone significant belt-tightening and now we need to find effective ways to increase revenue. We need to have this important discussion with hunters and anglers."

Velarde adds that CPW’s wildlife management programs are funded by user fees, generated primarily by the sale of hunting and fishing licenses. Unlike other state agencies, CPW does not receive general fund revenue.

Currently, a limited elk license for resident adults costs $46. Resident youths pay $10.75 for limited deer, elk and pronghorn licenses. Limited deer license and pronghorn licenses are $31 for resident adults.

"Colorado is clearly one of the premier big game hunting areas in the country and that is a testament to the hard work and dedication of the state's wildlife managers," adds Velarde. "When you compare our resident license fees to states that do not provide the same quality experience found here, the need for an increase becomes very evident. We are prepared to make the case."

The Roundtable consists of four appointed members and two elected members from each region. Twice each year, the Statewide Sportsmen's Roundtable meets with the CPW Director and other members of CPW's leadership for detailed discussions about a variety of wildlife management challenges.

Anyone interested in one of two NW Region elected positions are encouraged to attend the meeting. The election will be held the same evening with votes cast by attendees. Elected members can serve two-year terms and are expected to organize regional caucus meetings and be available to constituents, serving as their representatives for regional concerns during the statewide meetings. •Who: Sportsmen's Roundtable Caucus
•What: Regular caucus meeting and election
•When: Wednesday, July 13, 6 p.m.
•Where: Colorado Mesa University, Meyer Ballroom, located in the University Center, 1455 North 12th Street. Call 970-248-1758 for additional info
For more information about the Sportsmen's Roundtable, visit www.cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/Roundtable.aspx

I was there on Wed. Lot's of opinions for sure. I don't know if CPW's message really got through to everyone though. Licences need to go up, or programs will be cut. It would still be a bargain for residents even at $90 for an elk tag. I filled out the survey and let them know what I thought.

Why did you gents not introduce yourselves? Sheesh. I'm pretty tame.

Thanks for showing up. The message did not really get across well, but one problem is that the discussion often gets dragged into the weeds. As someone pointed out, whenever the topic of fee increases comes up, many folks want to make it a "what else am I going to get for my money" discussion.

Why did you gents not introduce yourselves? Sheesh. I'm pretty tame.

Thanks for showing up. The message did not really get across well, but one problem is that the discussion often gets dragged into the weeds. As someone pointed out, whenever the topic of fee increases comes up, many folks want to make it a "what else am I going to get for my money" discussion.

Sorry Oak! I fully intended to introduce myself after the meeting, but I had to duck out of there at 8:30. I was in the camo cap with the gray t-shirt. I think the news did an excellent side view mug shot on me..lol.

I agree though, it seemed difficult to keep the conversation on topic. I think some people lose sight of how much incredible opportunity we have here as residents, I'd like to, and I'm willing to, maintain that.

I was wondering what news group was there, thx for the link. Sorry for not getting to meet folk, had to peel out at the end as the meeting ran late.

Is there a link out there for the proposed fee schedule?

To my knowledge there is no set amount that has been settled on, only discussion on how to increase intake to fund current spending levels.

The funds may be from one source but the spending may go to another source.

Most folks are fine with their deer/elk dollars subsidizing the fisheries program?

That's a good question and I honestly had not considered it. I guess I lump my hunting and fishing dollars together since I do both regularly. I do have heartburn over the $1 annual senior fishing license.

CPW seemed to really push the idea of tying resident elk tag fees to CPI. I'd like to results of adjusting all wildlife license fees to CPI. Where do the fishing fees shake out? How about NR tags?

Most folks are fine with their deer/elk dollars subsidizing the fisheries program?

This has been a discussion in Wyoming as well...and not one that is easy to answer.

Not sure about CO but in WY, the fisheries "lose" about 6 million dollars a year.

But, the tough one for me, is that I don't dwell on it for a couple reasons. Mainly that fishing is a great family activity and it exposes a lot of people to the outdoors. I think its important to keep and get families/kids outdoors and if the price to be paid for that is fisheries not funding itself...small price, IMO.

This has been a discussion in Wyoming as well...and not one that is easy to answer.

Not sure about CO but in WY, the fisheries "lose" about 6 million dollars a year.

But, the tough one for me, is that I don't dwell on it for a couple reasons. Mainly that fishing is a great family activity and it exposes a lot of people to the outdoors. I think its important to keep and get families/kids outdoors and if the price to be paid for that is fisheries not funding itself...small price, IMO.

If you look at the volume of licenses sold, big game vs fishing, to me it seems that the fisheries have ample opportunity with small increases, to add to that side of the budget. Upping yearly license vs upping a week long(some seasons vary obviously)seems like a logical thought process.

Getting youth involved is great, but they don't have buy anything other than gear. CPW found a way to increase the revenue by adding the fishing to big game. I don't see a big deal with a resident paying more for an annual license when it comes to fishing. Especially with the explanation of how much the fisheries provides vs what it really costs to "manage" big game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back