Utah elk hunt

AZ_Engineer

Hello,

I am new to the hunt talk forums and was just looking for a little help on our upcoming cow elk hunt in Utah. My wife and I drew for Central Mtns, North Manti in October. Was looking for any areas we should focus on. I have read on other forums that skyline road and oak creek ridge are very popular but a good area to start. Looking at land maps the whole unit seems to be easily accessible by vehicle. We are from AZ so have not been in that area of Utah before. Any pointers are welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks,

If your season overlaps with the general elk or deer hunt, be prepared to see A LOT of people. That is a very popular area. A former co-worker and his family did well on elk in that country and IIRC they camped and hunted off of Skyline.

Hello,

I am new to the hunt talk forums and was just looking for a little help on our upcoming cow elk hunt in Utah. My wife and I drew for Central Mtns, North Manti in October. Was looking for any areas we should focus on. I have read on other forums that skyline road and oak creek ridge are very popular but a good area to start. Looking at land maps the whole unit seems to be easily accessible by vehicle. We are from AZ so have not been in that area of Utah before. Any pointers are welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks,

I've hunted that unit. I hunted the area around electric lake. There is some private ground that gets hunted along the one shore, but you can work around the private and be into elk.

The key on this unit is to get away from the roads. The elk will be in pocket meadows with easy access to dark timber in the mornings or afternoons. The best areas are invisible from the many roads.

The best way to hunt it, is to get on top and walk across ridges that are inaccessible by road and glass down into the pocket meadows in the morning and evening.

Most people will be road hunting the unit and it is a unit where there is decent success in doing so, because it has a high population of elk.

There is some private ground, but it is pretty well marked. It is still best to know where you are at, at all times.

There are decent fishing opportunities in the area, so bring a pole.

Last edited:
TheDudeAbides,

I greatly appreciate the information. I am going to look out for the private land with onXmaps see if I can have a good idea of where to steer clear of. Looks as if most of the unit is public which helps.

1_pointer,

I greatly appreciate the information. It appears that there is an overlapping spike only hunt as well. I plan to stay away from roads as much as possible but I am sure we will run across others. Do you have any other suggestions for areas to try?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back