Mountain Biking / Backcountry

We have used bikes in the past. One morning in the dark we rode right past some foot hunters to a bull we had spotted the day before, and killed him. They had no idea the bull was there, and I have no doubt they would never have seen him, but I bet they were cussing us because we spooked the crap out of those guys. I felt bad. I guarantee they would spook a horse big time if they didn't have a chance to see them coming and prepare their pea sized horse brain for the shiny silent monster attacking them. Just like the biker hitting the grizzly except the horse would most likely hurt his rider. Bikes are super quiet and fast. We rode right up on elk and other game sometimes. But let me tell you packing a bull out on a backpack on a bike is a whole new form of torture! I never thought it would be a big deal but HOLY CRAP! That chit just about killed me! Of course we had to go uphill. In my opinion as long as you made a real effort to give the horses a wide berth, I would use whatever is a legal mode of transportation for access into the backcountry.

We continue to designate wilderness areas that keep out every hunter not wealthy enough to own horses. Access for all is a farce (hikers can only pack fresh meat so far). The certifide hay program is a joke that obviously doesn't work.

I hunt mostly from a horse but utilized a borrowed bike a couple years ago after seeing guys on bikes in the same spot I rode the horse. I am going to bow hunt the same area this fall so I thought that I would get a bike. I went to the local bike shop and the average bike definitely costs more than the horses I am accustomed to. I bought a used bike off CL and promptly broke the chain. I took the bike to the shop and asked for a new chain a new rear tire and for them to adjust the shifter to quite things up. the estimate was about the cost of a farrier to shoe a horse twice.
Easier-yes
Faster - depending on terrain yes
Less expensive arguable
JBS

Just this weekend I rode 8 miles up a trail to check my trail cameras with a pack. When I say I rode up this trail what I really mean is I walked 8 miles with the bike and rode the bike back down. Most trails around here just aren't maintained well enough to ride up, even if its only slightly uphill. Not only are you fighting the hill, but all the rocks, trees, roots, brush and other things in the trail just make riding uphill a difficult task.

I have ridden in on a gated road before with my hunting pack, hiked from the end of the road and shot a buck. Managed to get it out, boned, the same day but it is a lot of work. I don't recommend riding a bike with an animal on your back. I have a very nice mountain bike and I'm telling you its dangerous. I had so much weight on me the back shock of my bike was mostly compressed for the whole trip and I had very little steering as all the weight is on the back tire. Its almost like riding a unicycle down the road.

To sum up I think it works to get in on a logging road, but not trails and not to get an animal out.

I am interested in gaining perspective from backcountry hunters regarding mountain biking. One clarification I'd like to make is that I am considering backcountry hunting as those areas closed to motorized travel, several miles behind a locked gate/posted trailhead, yet obviously this land cannot be wilderness as wheeled travel is prohibited by federal law.
Potential discussion points:
1. Who hunts from a mountain bike, specifically in the backcountry?
2. Do backcountry hunters on horseback object to those on mountain bikes?
3. Can horseman, mountain bikers, and hunters on foot share trail without conflict?
4. Does seeing a mountain biker on a backcountry trail detract from the hunting experience for some folks?
5. Should mountain bikes be allowed on all of the same trails as horse and foot travel or should there be designated bike trails?

Any and all feedback is welcome on this topic!

Thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone has changed seats or gained new mountain bike hunting experiences. Any successful bike-hunts last season? Fortunate enough to say I hit pay dirt off my bike last fall (rifle/bull). One thing I can say was a HUGE advantage for bikes last season in MT was the weather, we were essentially snow free until December 1st, allowing access into areas seldom seen by pedal power at the end of November.

$75 on craigslist and another $20 in mtls.
New bike got here yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0506 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0506 (Medium).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 261
I hunt mostly from a horse but utilized a borrowed bike a couple years ago after seeing guys on bikes in the same spot I rode the horse. I am going to bow hunt the same area this fall so I thought that I would get a bike. I went to the local bike shop and the average bike definitely costs more than the horses I am accustomed to. I bought a used bike off CL and promptly broke the chain. I took the bike to the shop and asked for a new chain a new rear tire and for them to adjust the shifter to quite things up. the estimate was about the cost of a farrier to shoe a horse twice.
Easier-yes
Faster - depending on terrain yes
Less expensive arguable
JBS

I don't think you've thought this through.

Do you have a half million dollars of real estate to graze your bike on? Or do you buy it 150/ton hay? Do you have a (on the very cheap end) $5k enclosure to haul your bike? Does it need a $800 saddle(seat)?
Lol.... a $4k bike is cheaper for the lifetime of it than even a $400 wild auction horse.

I have a standard 26" mtn bike with racks on front and back and panniers. A couple spots I hunt allow me to ride in 3-4 miles, stash the bike or make camp, and then hunt with my backpack. The panniers allow me to spread the load out if camping gear and is easier to ride out that way. Eventually I hope to put a few elk quarters on the racks instead and walk the bike out as a glorified game cart. Going in is comparable to hiking but coming out is much quicker without an animal and should be much easier if I do have one.

I have a standard 26" mtn bike with racks on front and back and panniers. A couple spots I hunt allow me to ride in 3-4 miles, stash the bike or make camp, and then hunt with my backpack. The panniers allow me to spread the load out if camping gear and is easier to ride out that way. Eventually I hope to put a few elk quarters on the racks instead and walk the bike out as a glorified game cart. Going in is comparable to hiking but coming out is much quicker without an animal and should be much easier if I do have one.

Friend of mine tried this on one of our elk hunt. The bike proved to be a huge pita after the critter was down. His last trip was to get the bike while I sat at the truck and drank beer. mtmuley

I'm in no way a skilled mountain biker, but I just took my scouts on a 22 mile trip over the weekend and thought about this a lot during the ride, and came to a few conclusions:
-Like it was mentioned earlier I think if you were behind a gate on an old logging road it would come in handy as a time saver getting to and from your hunting spot and camp.
-If I had some sort of trailer or cart a pack out would be pretty slick on those same roads
-I likely would have died going downhill with a load of meat on my back.
-As mentioned earlier on some of the trails walking is just as fast (and would be easier with a pack) as biking.

Of course, with some more skill and experience my thoughts on the subject would probably change.

Back