Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Floorless Tipi vs. Tent

i got a hoop dream to be 1/2 weight of my other 2 person tents. made mistake of thinking could fire up pocket rocket to make tent warmer on CO muzzy hunt at 10500. All i did was make it rain condensation. would like a higher tipi but for $149 on clearance not bad.

Bringing this back to life. Tell me more about the SO Redcliffe or 6man tipis. Also what stoves work good and will smolder a little heat most of the night. Setup times? Backpack ability between 1 or 2 guys? Thanks. Will need room for 3 guys at most usually just 2 tho.

Bringing this back to life. Tell me more about the SO Redcliffe or 6man tipis. Also what stoves work good and will smolder a little heat most of the night. Setup times? Backpack ability between 1 or 2 guys? Thanks. Will need room for 3 guys at most usually just 2 tho.

I’m not aware of any stove that is able to be backpacked in very far and is able to smolder for very long let alone most of the night. I have a Kifaru Sawtooth with the 18” titanium cylinder stove and really like it. I use the to provide heat to dry clothes at the end of the day and to provide some warmth while getting ready in the morning. I doubt it would provide heat for even an hour though without being stoked. This shelter and stove combo is easily packed by one person, will sleep two comfortably and can sleep three in a pinch.

I’d also be interested to hear other comments on stoves.

I should clarify on stove. I am interested in the SO stove or the titanium cylinder stoves. Just curious how long a guy can get minimum heat out of them if he loads it up and cranks it down to a slow burn.

I pursued getting a long slow burn out of my Kifaru small stove for a year. IMO, it doesn't happen. If you're not actively feeding the fire box, an hour of heat is the most you'll get.

It'll go long enough to dry out your clothes and let you fall asleep. My experience is about an hour if you stuff it full, maybe a little more. SO Cimarron is great for 2 guys and a little gear. 3 guys and no gear is possible but cozy.

If you want a floor in the SO, get the nest, but if I remember correctly you can't use the nest and stove at the same time. You can also use a Tyvek ground cloth or something similar to keep dirt off of your stuff and eliminate some ground moisture. Never had an issue with mice in the backcountry like we do in the established campgrounds where there's a steady supply of food. Always seems like there's mice around the wall tent, probably b/c there's always food around to attract them.

I'm considering running the nest with my SO during warmer months when I'm not using the stove just to keep insects off.

With our tent setup we bring canvas tarps to use as floors in the wall tent and have great success with that. As has been mentioned above though, we are in the back country and not near any camp ground of any sort. I would never want to be hunting in a season with the possibility of cold and snow without a wood stove again. Between comfort, cooking and convenience (TONS of wood to use where we hunt) I guess I am spoiled.

I have the LiteOutdoors XL titanium stove. If you get it CRAMMED full and have the damper set perfect you can get 2 hours before you have to add wood to keep it from going out. During that 2 hours it will go from being about 80 degrees in the tent to about 10 degrees above whatever the temperature is outside when it is burned down. If you go 2 1/2 hours the fire will be out and you will have to start it from scratch. It shows to be 1,560 cubic inches which is huge for a backpacking stove.

Backpacking stoves are not for staying warm at night, that's what sleeping bags are for.

What backpacking stoves excel at is knocking the chill out of the tent in the morning or evening and they are really nice for drying wet clothes.

Running the stove while eating supper in your skivies with your wet clothes hanging up around the stove with steam coming off them when it is 40 degrees and raining outside is kind of a nice feature.

Running the stove while eating supper in your skivies with your wet clothes hanging up around the stove with steam coming off them when it is 40 degrees and raining outside is kind of a nice feature.

Ahh, is it September yet???

How well does the Cimmaron or RedCliff pack down? How about the stoves? Guessing it works ok to split between two guys? thanks

I'll be following this. I'm seriously looking at buying a Redcliff. Haven't heard a bad thing about them yet. Coming up with the money is the tough part.

I'll be following this. I'm seriously looking at buying a Redcliff. Haven't heard a bad thing about them yet. Coming up with the money is the tough part.

Just remember the longer you wait the price creeps up. The Cimarron hot tent combo went up right after I got mine.

Floorless = insects crawling on your face and waking you up throughout the night, no thanks. I go with tents.

How well does the Cimmaron or RedCliff pack down? How about the stoves? Guessing it works ok to split between two guys? thanks

Super easy to carry. They weigh next to nothing and the stove fits in a zippered bag that is basically the size of a bag that you'd throw a pair of tennis shoes in. It's smaller and lighter than I expected.

I bought a SO Cimmaron and the large stove last year. I used it during the fall on my two elk hunts. The tent packs down in its own stuck sack. Its probably 12x10x4. That includes the tent and stakes. I have the carbon fiber tent pole that separates into three pieces that are 18" long. Stove fits in a bag thats 16x12x3". Tent and pole only weighs 3.5lbs. With the stove it weighs 5lbs 2oz. Easily manageable for one guy, easier still if split between two guys.

The comments earlier about stoves are spot on. Stoves are for comfort, sleeping bags are for staying warm. The stove will last 2 hrs at best. I do a lot of winter camping and lots of people use larger heavier stoves and they ask the same question. There is no such thing as a stove that lasts all night for camping.

We used a sheet of tyvek for a ground cloth and it works great and weighs nothing. We did have mice occasionally, but that was easily remedied. Keep a clean camp and don't reuse popular campsites. Mice will get in no matter what kind of tent you have so use the normal prevention. Store anything you want to keep away from critters. We never had a problem with mice or bugs and certainly not with either of them climbing on your face. We did have bugs in the tent and they stay near the top. I would not use one in a high mosquito area, but regular flies etc are no issue. Others mention not using a floorless shelter someplace where scorpions etc live.

Last edited:
The comments earlier about stoves are spot on. Stoves are for comfort, sleeping bags are for staying warm. The stove will last 2 hrs at best. I do a lot of winter camping and lots of people use larger heavier stoves and they ask the same question. There is no such thing as a stove that lasts all night for camping.

Yep. If you expect to stay warm in a tipi with a stove you better plan on waking up every 90 minutes to throw more logs in.

I bought a SO Cimmaron and the large stove last year. I used it during the fall on my two elk hunts. The tent packs down in its own stuck sack. Its probably 12x10x4. That includes the tent and stakes. I have the carbon fiber tent pole that separates into three pieces that are 18" long. Stove fits in a bag thats 16x12x3". Tent and pole only weighs 3.5lbs. With the stove it weighs 5lbs 2oz. Easily manageable for one guy, easier still if split between two guys.

We used a sheet of tyvek for a ground cloth and it works great and weighs nothing. We did have mice occasionally, but that was easily remedied. Keep a clean camp and don't reuse popular campsites. Mice will get in no matter what kind of tent you have so use the normal prevention. Store anything you want to keep away from critters. We never had a problem with mice or bugs and certainly not with either of them climbing on your face. We did have bugs in the tent and they stay near the top. I would not use one in a high mosquito area, but regular flies etc are no issue. Others mention not using a floorless shelter someplace where scorpions etc live.

This is really good input. I have been looking hard at the cimarron/stove combo. Not sure about the nest... my bride may like that option due to potential creepy crawlies. Tyvek ground cloth may do the trick also

This might be common knowledge - but worth mentioning...
Cut your Tyvek to size and then run it through the washing machine a time or two. Makes it soft and pliable and way quieter but doesn't seem to affect durability and waterproofness.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back