Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Small Game Roadtrip Checklist / Western KS Jackrabbit Locations?

Sainte_Terrer

I'm REALLY wanting to go shoot some jackrabbits out in Western Kansas this year. Anyone know of a decent public land spot? I've considered Wilson Lake (Russell County) but am thinking that Walk In Hunting Areas (WIHA) may actually be the best ticket. I've hit some WIHA around Russell before and had good luck finding deer, but not good luck finding hares. I've got a draft of a gear checklist attached just because it is hot today and I'm dreaming of October!

Checklist1.png

Checklist2.png

I'm sure you already are aware, but for others thinking of doing the same type of trip, there are generally two types of WIHA properties in Kansas (Private land enrolled in the system, the land owners receive a small stipend paid by KPWPT for the access). Some properties open on September 1, others open November 1st. Some properties further limit activities such as specific weapon type, or quarry pursued.

Years ago, the WIHA atlas would break down the specific parcel down into anticipated species to be found. I don't think the last several years that information has appeared in print or online.

20141205_164844_zps5oh3uigb.jpg
I took this one on some WIHA in trego county. I seen a few of them, however I wasn't really looking to hard for them.

Kansasdad, good points.

Gussyfarm, very cool! I will have to consider Trego as well! Do you cook this one up? I've heard that they can be challenging--and Hank Shaw describes the taste as mule deer-like. I'm excited to give it a go.

Your gear checklist looks good! Wish I could be of more help in where to go. I did see a few jacks on some waterfowl production areas north/northeast of Dodge City a decade ago when I was there hunting prairie chickens...

I did cook it up, mixed it with some rabbits and squirrels I harvested around home. It definitely has a different flavor then wisconsin rabbits. I cooked them in a slow cooker with potatoes, carrots and celery seasoned with salt and pepper.

Thanks 1_pointer! I though about Dodge too but not sure if I have travel quite that far west.

Gussy, that sounds like a pretty good way to cook one up!

I'm REALLY wanting to go shoot some jackrabbits out in Western Kansas this year. Anyone know of a decent public land spot? I've considered Wilson Lake (Russell County) but am thinking that Walk In Hunting Areas (WIHA) may actually be the best ticket. I've hit some WIHA around Russell before and had good luck finding deer, but not good luck finding hares. I've got a draft of a gear checklist attached just because it is hot today and I'm dreaming of October!

View attachment 58857

View attachment 58858

Don't forget the flour if you like chicken fried rabbit:)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back