Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ultimate muzzleloader

Rooster52

Just watched a TV show where they took a muledeer with the ultimate muzzleloader at 315 yards.

At 315 yards my muzzleloader bullet would bounce about 5 times from my CVA .

Amazing. My CVA rifle, shooting powerbelt bullets out of a lead sled, can't shoot a tight group at 100yds on the range. I figure my effective hunting range is only 80 yards with this rifle, and I've shot rifles for over 50 years.

You are referring to the Remington 700 ultimate muzzle loader? Or something else?

Have 2 ultimate muzzle loaders (wife and I) and have shot them out to 600 yds (at paper) and my wife (who a better shot then I) has take antelope at 305 yds and 360yds with hers. I shoot a CVA with BH209 and it amazing out to 300yds or so.

I have shot my .54 great plains out to 250 yrds,but I hope I don't have to shoot an animal beyond 150 yrds,,,250yrds takes about 2 1/2 feet of lift to get it to hit a milk jug on a calm day.

Amazing. My CVA rifle, shooting powerbelt bullets out of a lead sled, can't shoot a tight group at 100yds on the range. I figure my effective hunting range is only 80 yards with this rifle, and I've shot rifles for over 50 years.

Really? If that is the case you have something wrong. You either have a bad rifle or you haven't found the powder bullet combo that it likes. I have a CVA optima, CVA wolf and a Thompson Impact in the house and all of them will shoot accurate at 100 yards. I don't proclaim to be a great shot either. My son has killed a deer at 80 yards and 70 yards with 50 grains of powder. He is only 8.

Yep, just means you havent been shooting a muzzleloader right for 50 years :D

He said he has shot rifles for over 50 years. If his muzzy isn't shooting accurate at 100 yards something is off. The inlines should be able to shoot that pretty easily. Now if it isn't an inline that is different. I was questioning his shooting ability.

Gunwerks makes a super-range mz. On tv, they have killed stuff at amazing ranges with it. It kind of destroys what mz hunting is all about, in my opinion. I do appreciate the technology, however.

They are interesting but I will never own one. If I want shoot 300 plus yards ,I will use my 300 mag.

I looked into the remimgton 700 ultimate and unfortunately, it's nowhere close to being legal for the western states. I decided to go with the knight .50 ultralight. Yet to test it out.. but I hear good things. Hopefully I can get a weekend off to go shooting this month!

last season in Ohio a hunter hunting near me shot a deer at 550 yards with a Remington 700 muzzle loader. I'm not saying I like it, I don't. I am a bow hunter.

I looked into the remimgton 700 ultimate and unfortunately, it's nowhere close to being legal for the western states. I decided to go with the knight .50 ultralight. Yet to test it out.. but I hear good things. Hopefully I can get a weekend off to go shooting this month!

Also looking at the Remington 700 Ultimate. What is it that makes it illegal in western states? Looking at the regs in Arizona and New Mexico I'm not seeing a problem. Curious what others think.

In new mexico it would be fine. Some western states like idaho, washington, do not allow the use of closed ignition muzzleloaders and 209 primers. They have rules that the nipple must be exposed to the elements.

Colorado and New Mexico do not allow smokeless powder. Colorado is pretty strict on projectiles, pellet powder, scopes.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back