A Summer of Moose and Mosquitoes

----

It took 17 years of applying, but the State of Montana finally deemed me worthy of one of it’s moose tags.

I am lucky to live pretty close to the unit I drew, so I should be able to scout most weekends between now and when the season opens in September.

Historically, this part of Montana has been the most productive moose habitat in the state. Miles and miles of willowy creek bottoms, boggy meadows, and aspen filled draws. Like most of the country South of the 49th though, the present population of moose in this valley is struggling in a bad way. 1/5th of the tags are issued now that were even 10 years ago, and the days needed to fill those tags has doubled in the same amount of time. This will be far from an easy hunt.

I am beyond excited to spend the next four months looking for these animals in this incredibly scenic part of the state, but do have some reservations about killing an animal from such a struggling population.

Kaitie and I spent the last three days getting the lay of the land and enjoying the vast expanses of wild country. No moose spotted (not a surprise), but we had a great time and saw many other critters.

IMG_1066_zpseoi1ztnf.jpg

P1020434_zpsk7gmhzzr.jpg

P1020382_zpsrh8oseyp.jpg

IMG_1074_zpsk6xlpxpk.jpg

P1020419_zpsar2hs0bd.jpg

Last edited:
And here we go threads like this make summer fly by. Man primo mulie,goat and now moose tag your living right Randy. Gonna be a great fall.

Congrats on the tag! Can you call in moose during the rut in Montana like you can in Minnesota? Hunting moose here is a thing of the past, but when I had my tag, bulls were practically tripping over us when we were cow calling them in! It was a hoot having such a giant animal practically standing right over the top of you. I'm guessing it's more spot and stalk out west, but if it's an option, give calling a try!

Good luck!

LOL, Deja vu?

Attachments

• 100_1638.jpg
    100_1638.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,353
Congrats on the tag! I understand what you mean about having reservations about hunting them in a struggling population. I fought that too. I decided to just enjoy having the tag in my pocket and if one showed, I would use it. Congrats and enjoy the opportunity, and be sure to post a lot!

Good luck, it's a heck of a tag. Curious what the last couple years worth of success rate have been?

They've been pretty high. The terrain is pretty open and accessible, so I suspect they would stay so even with very low numbers of animals.

Subscribed on page one...

Looks like we have some watchable threads coming up this fall.

I wouldn't feel bad about shooting one. If you didn't draw that tag, someone else would have and they would have shot a moose.

The "tag god" has been smiling on you the last few years! First a goat tag, now a moose tag. I'm predicting a breaks bighorn tag for you within the next few years. Looking forward to following your scouting/hunt reports here on the forum.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back