Drew MT Moose Tag in HD-210. Looking for advice.

tristanpersico

Hello,

I drew my first moose tag and am looking for any advice on the hunting district I drew in (HD-210, see attached map) or shiras moose hunting in general. Especially looking on where to find moose during different times in the Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 6.02.34 PM.jpg which runs from September 15th to November 27th.

Thanks,
-Tristan

I haven't spent much time in there in the last 15 years, but have spent time in the past.

Its a tough unit to hunt moose in. There are always some around Rock Creek, but the best bulls I saw in there were up on the ridges, in the lodgepoles. It was very hit and miss seeing them. I would hunt as often as you could and talk to everyone you see in the unit.

I think snow will be helpful.

Good luck.

Hunt the rut, call and like Buzz said hunt as much as you can. Find cows you should find a bull or two. Have friends that are strong and in cell range. Moose are beasts to take care of!

I'll send you a PM with my phone number.
I had the tag in 2005, grew up in the unit and have hunted it my entire life. I'd be happy to help.
There's not the moose there were I'm '05 but it's coming back.
2nd weekend I passed on two big bills with my rifle- my Dual cam bow at the time was having timing issues and had a new part on the way. I really wanted to do it with my bow, so I passed. Never did see another as big as those two. Ate tag soup after passing 38 bulls. Disappointment of my life.

I'll send you a PM also. Man best of luck to you. Call the FWP office in Missoula and speak with a biologist too.

I wouldn't mind going out scouting with you if you cared for some company this summer.

Did I mention that I have put in for moose and sheep for 38 years in a row now and have never drawn a tag!

+1 on hit the rut period hard. I would focus on willow creek early then rock creek once the rut is going hard. Lots of retired fisherman on rock creek that love to chat. Talk to everyone of them you can and follow any cows you find that don't have a yearling calf.

Be prepared to shoot when you get the chance. You may never see them again in that unit considering the heavy cover, lack of glassing spots and lack of access roads.

I camp at stoney creek campground. It puts you in a central location and you can drive to the top of the ridge west of it for a decent vantage point. Not alot of good glassing points which is why i would focus on rock creek to locate cows. The bulls will show up.

David, you are the man! I'm surprised you haven't commented on my sons new gun. Hope all is well!

I camp at stoney creek campground. It puts you in a central location and you can drive to the top of the ridge west of it for a decent vantage point. Not alot of good glassing points which is why i would focus on rock creek to locate cows. The bulls will show up.

SteveE, I went up to Stony Creek yesterday. What a cool spot. I drove up Schively Gulch Road to the top of that ridge. I think that is the vantage point you were referring too. There is a lot of glassing to do up there. I also drove Stony Creek Road back quite a ways, didn't park and get off the road though because I had the 2 year old with. I will bring the ATV next time and go back further and do some off trail scouting. Do you know if an ATV can get back to Stony Lake?

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 8.29.42 AM.jpg

Last edited:
David, you are the man! I'm surprised you haven't commented on my sons new gun. Hope all is well!

All is well. I must have missed your post on the gun.

Tristanpersico I was over in 212 this morning scouting for mule deer as I drew that tag this year. I never saw any moose over there. A few deer but what really made my day was seeing a very beautiful blond cinnamon color sow with two cubs that looked just like her. They had to be 1/2 a mile away in a park feeding and I picked them up with the naked eye on the green grass. They were just gorgeous and the cubs would periodically stop messing around and would stand up on their back legs and look around.

I imagine it's the same a bit further west of where I was. I don't think I've ever seen it this green and lush. The grass was about knee high. Your moose should be growing antler like nobodies business.

All is well. I must have missed your post on the gun.

Tristanpersico I was over in 212 this morning scouting for mule deer as I drew that tag this year. I never saw any moose over there. A few deer but what really made my day was seeing a very beautiful blond cinnamon color sow with two cubs that looked just like her. They had to be 1/2 a mile away in a park feeding and I picked them up with the naked eye on the green grass. They were just gorgeous and the cubs would periodically stop messing around and would stand up on their back legs and look around.

I imagine it's the same a bit further west of where I was. I don't think I've ever seen it this green and lush. The grass was about knee high. Your moose should be growing antler like nobodies business.

That's really cool that you saw those bears. I used to hunt in 212 (217 now) quite a bit during archery. The grass was pretty heavy over in 210 too, I saw a really nice muley buck in (deer/elk) 216 up Stony Creek while scouting on Saturday.

Sorry for the delay Tristan. Yes that is the vantage point I was talking about. I dont know if you can 4 wheeler to stony lake. I was sheep hunting, not moose, so I was focused on the east side of rock creek.

Have a bear tag if you dont already - i passed a few blackies on my hunt.

MTGomer's offer is awesome - dont pass that up.

That's about all I can help other then a big good luck!!:)

I have the bear tag. I have been getting up there and finding moose. MTGomer and I talked quite a bit about a week and a half ago. That guy knows what he is talking about!

Wow, looks like your scouting has been very productive so far. Very cool.

Nice pictures and a great start. I had a moose tag last year and those cows are your ticket imo. The bulls will find them so stick with them. I never laid eyes on the bull I shot until the morning I harvested. I spent 20+ days scouting and never seen him. I was keeping tabs on a lone female and all of a sudden one morning two bulls are fighting over her. Just for reference they showed up the day before general rifle season.

I don't know MTGomer personally but the guy obviously knows his hunting - that is awesome he is helping you!

The big fight I was so happy to see

image.jpg

image.jpg

Good luck and have fun. You will need at least 10 big meat sacks and it helps if you have a couple young stud ex-football players along for the pack out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back