PEAX Equipment

Is the 100 yrd shot ethical?

If I'm not mistaken, even a pretty hot modern bow shoots a hunting arrow around 300 fps. That means at 100 yards, it takes a full second for the arrow to hit home. Elk can easily take one or two steps in one second, making a good shot a gut shot. There may be some people who can justify a 100 yard bow shot in some circumstances, but not me. Besides, isn't getting close the whole point of bowhunting?

The effectiveness of modern archers at greater distances will ultimately lead to the demise of our long seasons originally intended for primitive equipment. I do know that in Montana, there is a growing group of people that understand that bowhunters kill more big bulls in areas like the breaks. The effectiveness of the equipment, coupled with those who shoot with their compounds at 45 degree angles at herds of elk, (I have witnessed this) are giving people who ask wise questions about ethical shots a bad name.

I rarely take a shot much past 20 yards with my recurve. Confidence has a lot to do with that, but on the other hand bowhunting is about getting close. I wish that modern equipment shooters were self limited to 40 yards and under, as those that can make long shots consistently seem to be followed by archers that don't practice, aren't as good, or flat don't care. It's a big problem in my mind, and I don't want to fall in the same category with these slob hunters when their seasons are shortened.

An ARCHER sees how far away he can get from his target and still hit it.......a BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get to his target before hitting it.

I think an ethical shot is what you are confident in hurting where you aim if there is a doubt in your mind don't shoot. But if you practice a certain distance regularly and conditions are right (wind,distance, animal awareness) than the ethical shot differs forom shootervto shooter

An ARCHER sees how far away he can get from his target and still hit it.......a BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get to his target before hitting it.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

How many seconds does it take for an arrow to travel 100 yards? I understand 300 ft/ second = 100 yards in a second if the arrow maintains the same speed from the time it leaves the bow- but what is the actual velocity at 100 yards and how long does it take to get there?

I've been told that Christening into the "100 yard club" is often anticlimactic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 560
Well if we're just flinging arrows at animals then hell yeah let's do it!!

A perfect 40 yard shot at a doe is okay since you are likely to hit her in the kill zone even if she jumps. Maybe longer for a big buck or an elk I guess. But at 100 yards the animal will probably move too much by the time arrow arrives (follow-up shots on wounded game are judgement calls).

Also I seriously doubt my 325fps IBO bow is actually flinging an arrow over 300fps.

Practicing long range is a ton of fun and it makes 40 yard shots seem like a gimme. I think the confidence it brings is a great thing for a bowhunter.

My personal longest shot was 34 yards, but I always felt my self-imposed limit was 60 yards if on a relaxed elk-sized animal in calm winds.

My Bowtech Insanity with 401.2gr arrows has a chronographed velocity of 311 fps, which is still flying at 280 fps at 60 yards. At 60yds the KE is 70 and the Momentum is .4984, so the energy is there if the shot is good. It really comes down to keeping nerves calm, proper shooting form, skittish animals, accuracy margin-of-error, wind shift, etc...

Now that I write this, I realize there are so many variables out of my control that it has me wondering if 60 yards is even too far. I might need to reevaluate my beliefs. Hmmm

Not me, I don't agree with it either and i think it's irresponsible personally but i try not to force my beliefs on others. If an idiot wants to wound and lose an elk with a shot like that it's their decision and the responsibility rests on them.

Not me, I don't agree with it either and i think it's irresponsible personally but i try not to force my beliefs on others. If an idiot wants to wound and lose an elk with a shot like that it's their decision and the responsibility rests on them.

I have shot antelope at 74 and 63 yards...am I an 'idiot'? I know my shooting skills and my equipment's capability and had beautiful damned near perfect conditions, so I felt it was ok to take the shot...so, if I am within my capabilities, am I an 'idiot'?

I have shot antelope at 74 and 63 yards...am I an 'idiot'? I know my shooting skills and my equipment's capability and had beautiful damned near perfect conditions, so I felt it was ok to take the shot...so, if I am within my capabilities, am I an 'idiot'?
Yes......but for other reasons ;) J/K Sorry I couldnt resist

Im practising out to 70 yards, as mainly a whitetail hunter here in WV/PA MAN!! it seems like it takes forever for the arrow to get there.

I will bet anyone on this board $20 an arrow all day long at a hundred yards with a bow. Not even a consideration on a live animal.

OK, so three years ago I was in SW Montana hunting lopes. Stayed in this community campground maintained by a club out of Butte. Anyway, these three kids from the Root show up with their Rambo's and set a target in the campground around 100 yrds and let loose some arrows. After a bit they even moved back. They came over a little while later and I asked what their effective range was. They all asked if I had been paying attention to their shooting skills. I said I saw them hitting the target not generally in the middle, but they were hitting it. They said no problem hitting lopes at 100, and I said thats not what I was hoping they would say. Hitting them good at 100 consistently was the game plan. They said they would most likely see me around as they drove roads and shot the lopes from there. I asked if they had permission, and it seemed that one land owner had given them that. Too bad most the lands were not owned by that landowner. Anyway towards the end of the next day, they showed up at camp and knocked on the door to see if I was around. (I was still sitting water with the 3 arrows I took hunting that weekend.) Seems they were out of arrows completely and hoped the wife would let them borrow some of mine. At dark I showed up, and they hit me up again. I told them I had left my bow in the blind and only had 3 arrows and couldn't let them borrow any. I asked how they did and they told me that they had taken a nice buck, but that he had traveled about 4 miles and bedded down. They would let him lay up over night then go get him. Totally confident that the buck would be dead by morning. The next night I showed up and they had left. No buck, and no arrows. Welcome to the new age bowhunters. I think this is more the norm than not.

Would not take an elk at 100. My brother in law had to put 3 rounds in a bull with a .300 Win Mag. His motto if it stands up shoot again! I don't shoot shoulder shots for this reason. As I digress, no way could you account for an elk on any kind of slope at 100 and place an arrow on the kill spots. I have shot at... and I repeat "at" antelope at 100 because I thought it was 75 which I was very comfortable and accurate. At the 25 yard difference, my arrow bounced in the dirt. Just way to much trajectory and velocity loss at that distance. If you can get within 100 yards of an elk, you should not have much trouble going another 40. In that case, let your 60 yard pin fly.

My opinion is that the whole point of bowhunting is to get close to the animal. If you shoot at 100 yards, you are missing out on everything that makes bowhunting so much fun!

On a more serious note, I believe that a 100 yard shot is definitely unethical. Even if your release and POA is perfect, slight changes in wind and animal movement will drastically alter your POI considering the long flight time.

I posted a thread in Sportman's Issues about whether long range hunting (with rifles) has gone too far. A lot of the same principles apply here.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back