Is the 100 yrd shot ethical?

Mountian money

Today's bows open up a lot of opportunity, if I shot a bill elk at a 100 yrds would it be considered irresponsible

My answer....most definitely unethical. Most people have no business flinging an arrow at any animal let along an elk at that distance. To me that's like a 1000 yard rifle shot. People can make that shot but the vast majority cannot do it consistently...

I wouldn't take it. Regardless of how well I can shoot on a target. The time of flight is way to long.

I practice to 90yds regularly. My limit is about 50yds on an animal. But practicing to 90yds makes a 50yd shot nearly a gimmie.

IMHO no one has any business shooting at an animal 100yds away with a bow.

I practice to 90yds regularly. My limit is about 50yds on an animal. But practicing to 90yds makes a 50yd shot nearly a gimmie.

IMHO no one has any business shooting at an animal 100yds away with a bow.

I do this also and completely agree..

I also practice out to 100 and a little farther.... agree it is too far for an ethical shot at elk. However, what if you already have one arrow in him and he stops again at 100? I hit a BIG bull just a little far back a couple years ago...probably one lung and liver. Was able to get another one in him at 103 yards.... at the time of the shot I was glad I had a 100 yard slider... in hindsight, I wish I hadn't taken the second shot. He was sick and slow but still mobile, so I thought one more would pit him down fast. NOPE! Second one sent him hauling ass and he made it over the fence into a private ranch that wouldn't let me retrieve... was lots of fun watching the birds and listening to the coyotes just over the fence the rest of the season.

I also practice out to 100 and a little farther.... agree it is too far for an ethical shot at elk. However, what if you already have one arrow in him and he stops again at 100? I hit a BIG bull just a little far back a couple years ago...probably one lung and liver. Was able to get another one in him at 103 yards.... at the time of the shot I was glad I had a 100 yard slider... in hindsight, I wish I hadn't taken the second shot. He was sick and slow but still mobile, so I thought one more would pit him down fast. NOPE! Second one sent him hauling ass and he made it over the fence into a private ranch that wouldn't let me retrieve... was lots of fun watching the birds and listening to the coyotes just over the fence the rest of the season.

A follow-up shot at an elk with an arrow sticking out of him is a totally different animal.

In my opinion it is absolutely not an ethical shot. If you have even an ounce respect for the game you are after you do not take the shot. It doesn't matter how confident or accurate you are on an inanimate object, the unknown variables and time that elapses between your release and the point of impact on the target are innumerable. Wounding/losing an animal isn't worth the risk.

I'm not one to advocate breaking the law, but you are a more honest man than myself. At dark that elk would be getting a ride on the midnight Stone Glacier express. moral doesn't always equal legal.

As to the 100 yard question... I think its too far to shoot, except for extenuating circumstances, like Elkwhispers. I can shoot a tight group at that distance, but the target of a living animal can move alot with that hang time.

100 yards is a long shot. Try it on a bag or target with your broadheads. I'm betting you only have a couple inches of penetration. Now couple that with the offset of hitting bone. Is it worth it? I don't think so. My sights are set up to 70 yards, I hope to never need anything past 40!

Today's archery equipment lets you be accurate at that distance on a stationary target. Animals are rarely stationary. I would advise against it.

Yes, a 100 yard shot is not a wise shot and does border on unethical.

I am no traditionalist, but archery hunting or "bow hunting" is a primitive sport. The vast majority of bow hunters hunt with a bow, because it is a much more challenging way to hunt wild game. Those that bow hunt would most likely agree that bow hunting make you a better rifle hunter, because you have to be closer in order to be in a position to get a shot off. You have to hone your skills and the process makes you more patient and makes you appreciate hunting. It also make you appreciate and respect the wild game you pursue. So, taking a 100 yard shot is an indication (IMO) that you have not perfected your skills and you are willing to take a chance at wounding a wild animal, rather than hunt that animal another day. It also shows you don't respect the very animal you are hunting and are willing to take chances because you would rather have the reputation/image of putting a "trophy" on the ground (in pictures) than letting it run/walk away.

Yes, a 100 yard shot is not a wise shot and does border on unethical.

I am no traditionalist, but archery hunting or "bow hunting" is a primitive sport. The vast majority of bow hunters hunt with a bow, because it is a much more challenging way to hunt wild game. Those that bow hunt would most likely agree that bow hunting make you a better rifle hunter, because you have to be closer in order to be in a position to get a shot off. You have to hone your skills and the process makes you more patient and makes you appreciate hunting. It also make you appreciate and respect the wild game you pursue. So, taking a 100 yard shot is an indication (IMO) that you have not perfected your skills and you are willing to take a chance at wounding a wild animal, rather than hunt that animal another day. It also shows you don't respect the very animal you are hunting and are willing to take chances because you would rather have the reputation/image of putting a "trophy" on the ground (in pictures) than letting it run/walk away.
The people on Facebook are not going to know how many you wounded but they are sure going to like the one you recover.
It's a win-win just buy a lot of arrows.

So what is ethical 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30?

My ethics on bow shots for what my skill set is, is different than others. I practice religious at 50 yards. I am a whitetail hunter and most times I cant see past 30. I took a shot at a doe at 40 a few years back. She was alerted. The shot was on target but she moved.

I learned that I most likely wouldn't shoot at a alerted deer over 30 yards again. I thought all you guys out west have to shoot out to 60-70 minimum?

Today at lunch I went to the range and shot at the 100 yard bag. My pins are set for 70 mind you. My bow is set at 62lbs and I shoot a 340 spine arrow. With 125gr field tip I was getting about 6 inches of penetration. With a broadhead and a good broadside shot I'd assume I would get a couple inches more, not enough to justify me ever taking that shot.

Same scenario at the 70 yard bag I was getting almost 16 inches of penetration, more then enough to satisfy my needs, but again I doubt I would ever take a shot beyond 60.

So what is ethical 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30?

My ethics on bow shots for what my skill set is, is different than others. I practice religious at 50 yards. I am a whitetail hunter and most times I cant see past 30. I took a shot at a doe at 40 a few years back. She was alerted. The shot was on target but she moved.

I learned that I most likely wouldn't shoot at a alerted deer over 30 yards again. I thought all you guys out west have to shoot out to 60-70 minimum?

The ethical shot is what you as a hunter feels is correct. See above to know what I feel, it is different for everyone, you know this.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back