Caribou Gear Tarp

Feral Horse Hunts Anyone???

I'd buy a tag and shoot one, but it will never happen. Can't be much different than shooting a zebra.

I could have easily filled several tags this season. Worthless is what they are !!
20160806_185916_zpsasu5f9ig.jpg

Based on some recent reading (American Serengeti by Dan Flores) I came to understand that horses evolved here, then migrated with a number of other species across the land bridge, went extinct in North America at the end of the Pleistocene and were then reintroduced when European explorers arrived.
This doesn't change the current problem but makes me ponder the feral designation as well as management in light of other (more recent) reintroduced species.

they left on there own ..were brought back by man so to me that means feral does it not ? cant wait to read that book everyone says its pretty dang good

ive done my part over the last several years,ive adopted 4 or 5 to domesticate,,,"not that easy",,my rodeo days are now past and I have only 1 mustang and a burrow now as my yard grazers.they do however "clip"the grass compared to cattle "pulling up".I agree that something needs to be done on the overpopulation problem,,,but with the wild horse legislation passed ,I think a hunting season on them would be pretty bad p r that would give hunters a "bad image".ive done my part though.

unfortunately,nevada has been stuck with probly 75-80% of the burdon.south east Oregon has also a lot of horses too.but as also said earlier in this one,if the horses are removed,they would likely add more cattle for grazing.this year I was in s e Oregon in silvies unit and found it is absolutly hammered badly by cattle overgraze,,,not from horses,even though wild horses roam in this area of the state. hopefully something can be figured out.until then,the deer and elk will suffer with degraded habitat conditions.

My horse-loving wife would be okay with me shooting one, but I don't think I could get her to eat any of it with me.

I had to put down my 21 year old Arabian. Could not hunt them.

If you have ever rode a horse, could you hunt them?

Last edited:
I had to put down my 21 year old Arabian. Could not hunt them.

If you have ever rode a horse, could you hunt them?

Yes, I could. Rode a lot of horses and mules in the past 20 years. We own two of them currently. I could hunt a feral or wild horse for population control with no regrets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back