Caribou Gear

RIP Cassius

He still is the Greatest!
Always will be in my book.
Way more than just a fighter.
I had the honor of shaking his hand once after a talk he gave to kids at a youth center.
The place was packed with adults too.... Just wanting to see the Man.

One of the greatest entertainers ever! The suffering is over, he sure took a beating in the ring! Prayers to his family!

He was a great athlete and did some good things, BUT he was still a cowardly draft dodger. I have no use for that type of person. It is amazing how people like Bill Clinton and Cassius Clay can dodge the draft and still be allowed to go on to great things. Welcome to America!

Ali was a great fighter and God bless him and his family. I still think Joe Frazer beat him two of the three fights they had and was ahead on the last one until it was stopped by Frazer's corner. Styles make great fights and those two could fight 10 more times and each one would be fantastic!

David

He was a great athlete and did some good things, BUT he was still a cowardly draft dodger. I have no use for that type of person. It is amazing how people like Bill Clinton and Cassius Clay can dodge the draft and still be allowed to go on to great things. Welcome to America!

Cassius was a conscientious objector. The Nuge pooped his pants to get out serving in Vietnam and many people view him as a patriot. I still don't agree with what Cassius did but I can acknowledge the difference.

I totally agree with what sbhooper stated.

Agree! He avoided fighting beside his peers, but would jump in a ring for $$. Not much respect here.

Remember very well his objections to Viet Nam. I was 18 in 1971 and drew in the 200 plus in the draft. Happy. I had friends enlist the next day.

Viet Nam was a frustrating war. No business being there. If I had drawn, I would have served.

I had total respect for Ali for his convictions. He gave up 3 years of his life for his convictions in his prime. He also won the Supreme Court decision stating he was right.

No man can do better than live his convictions. You may not agree with him, but he did life as he saw right.

Not a draft dodger!

Rewatch the Foreman and Frazier fights. A coward could not have fought those fights!

I'm sure there were many many thousands of young men during all of our wars who served well that had those same convictions. Those, I have the utmost respect. And you're right, we didn't have any business being there, but draft has little to do with reasons why.

Last edited:
Remember very well his objections to Viet Nam. I was 18 in 1971 and drew in the 200 plus in the draft. Happy. I had friends enlist the next day.

Viet Nam was a frustrating war. No business being there. If I had drawn, I would have served.

I had total respect for Ali for his convictions. He gave up 3 years of his life for his convictions in his prime. He also won the Supreme Court decision stating he was right.

No man can do better than live his convictions. You may not agree with him, but he did life as he saw right.

Not a draft dodger!

Rewatch the Foreman and Frazier fights. A coward could not have fought those fights!

He WAS a draft dodger. This crap of claiming that your religion will not let you fight-especially the moslem religion-is pure nonsense. He had no qualms about thrashing somebody for money, but that coward would not fight for his country, when he may REALLY get injured.

So, I guess it is OK to let someone else die instead of you, to fulfill your "religious" convictions. I remember well when they stripped him of his title because of it, but unfortunately, they let him back in the ring. Oh well, Clinton was pardoned by Carter, so I guess there is no difference.

They are all anti-American garbage, not worth all the publicity and fame. My classmate in Marine Security Guard School was the last Marine killed in Viet Nam. He died for his country. I have no respect for these other pieces of crap that are too lame to fight, or even JOIN the armed forces.

The vexing thing for me is that Ali/Clay could've done the Elvis tour thing and served his country well. Safe to say it's easy to have convictions others serve and die to preserve.

Politics notwithstanding, he was a magnificent pugilist and could take a punch....an estimated 29,000 of them.

Not going to keep beating a dead horse here, but with tomorrow being one of the most pivotal points in the world's history, I wonder how many of those young men who stormed the beaches of Normandy had those same convictions? Fear? 1000% absolutely! Proud to be fighting for their country? No doubt! Wonder if the Supreme Court would have listened if there were one of those many thousands of young men objected?

Come on Sept elk season!

Then there's Nugent.

The same goes for them all. We all have family, friends, and loved ones who are presently or past military, including many of us, whether or not during wartime doesn't matter. They are willing. Those are the ones that I respect!

Ok, now I'll let it go.

I agree totally hooper. Clay/Nugent/Clinton and Dick Cheney are cowardly draft dodgers. A lot of my friends went in their place, and didn't come back alive. He was a great boxer. So what.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back