First Bear! Montana

el unit

image.jpg

Sunday evening's walk in the woods paid off! Our morel hunting trip shifted quickly into a bear hunt just after hitting our favorite USFS trailhead in BMU 316. My wife and I have seen this boar three times over the past two weeks, but couldn't connect until Sunday.
Just as we were slowly approaching the first small, grassy meadow, he busted. He bolted at close range, but I was able to stop him with a quick cow elk call at 99 yards. The wind was perfect and he didn't appear to see us or even know what he was running from. Then, he sat down- just like the bear sits down in Randy's OYOA "Big Sky Black Bear" episode. I could not believe it! I thought that was the craziest thing when I saw it on TV and was sure I'd never witness it while holding a valid bear license. He gave me plenty of time while never even looking at us. Crosshairs in center of chest- BOOM.
Shot at 8:01pm. After a LONG half hour wait, we walked over. He only went 10 yards after the shot. Broke the sternum, exploded heart, never exited the back. 30.06 165gr. Went back to Toyota to get wife's wheeled garden cart and heavy tarp. Upon field dressing, we wrapped him up in tarp with rope and a heavy pole for transport. 1/8 mile drag with the pole and tarp. Another 1/4 mile with the hand cart.
Measures 6ft nose to tail after skinning. Got him sealed in Anaconda yesterday and dropped off at taxidermist for a rug mount. We will start meat processing today. Excited to eat bear!
There's still another similar sized, jet-black one roaming nearby...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,071
Looks a awful lot like my first bear. Mine was same chocolate color and measured 6'3" nose to tail before skinning. Best part was I shot it when I was 18 years old and fwp aged mine at 18 years old. Nice work he'll make a Awsome rug!

One morel mushroom my wife picked while we waited the half hour before tracking the bear. She found it a few days earlier while riding, but choose not to take it with her at that time- just the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,016
Looks a awful lot like my first bear. Mine was same chocolate color and measured 6'3" nose to tail before skinning. Best part was I shot it when I was 18 years old and fwp aged mine at 18 years old. Nice work he'll make a Awsome rug!

Dang! That's an old bear! The fisheries biologist at Anaconda Fish Hatchery that sealed my bear thought mine was 4 years old? Seemed young to me. Then, without me saying anything, the taxidermist thought 8 years old.
The bear I got has really cool fang bite mark scars directly on top of his head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back