Help Me Build a Hunting Truck

grizzly_

It seems like awhile ago there was a post by somebody with pics of them pulling a lifted truck out of the snow. The thread turned to a discussion about why some trucks aren't really good for off-roading.

I am now in the process of building a hunting/mountain truck so that I don't have to beat up my daily driver (plus I'm sick of putting chains on my F-250 diesel anytime I am in deep snow) and I was wondering what the truck should have (and not have) to be able to thrive on those late season snowy hunts (like the 4th Season CO deer tag I drew this year :hump:).

I bought a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac so I could get a narrow truck with 4 full doors with a pickup bed, plus its similar to my old Ford Ranger that was the best mountain truck I have ever seen. It came with a hard/locking tonneau cover and I installed a brush guard and front & rear 2" receiver hitches for a winch that will allow me to winch forward or backward... now I just need the money for a winch ;). I also put on new shocks, 3" body lift with a leveled front end, and some 33" Duratrac tires on 16" wheels with +20 backspacing which should still allow me to clear tire chains on all four if needed. Last night I finished installing an Eaton E-Locker in the rear and I plan to get a roof rack for a spare tire, extra fuel cans and a hi-lift jack.

The other options I am considering are: navigation to keep me from getting lost, an on-board air compressor for flat tires and to air up/down for traction, and a helical limited-slip in the front end (helical/torque-sensing LSD's are considered front-end-safe for snowy roads and are now standard on the F-150 Raptor).

What do you guys think? Am I on the right track and is there anything I should change or do differently? You're not going to hurt my feelings, just looking for advice and opinions. Thx.

Wow, with all those features you will be having so much fun navigating, inflating and deflating tires, chaining, winching, bucking brush, clearing any obstacles and driving just about anywhere you want to go with that off-road beast ... when will you have time to hunt?

Buy a $2k 80s Toyota. Drive it til the wheels fall off, then buy another, repeat.

When I had the 2000 Ford Ranger I mentioned in my post, my hunting buddy had a similar-era Toyota Tacoma and I'm going to be honest with you, my Ranger spanked that poor Toyota all over the hills and back again. I've never been so disappointed in a vehicle in my life as his Toyota. That, and other more-recent anecdotal evidence that would only be negative and serve no useful purpose, is why I'll respectfully disagree with you. Plus, I bought this truck and have done all these upgrades for less than I sold my 2010 Polaris RZR 50"... so I'm pretty happy with where I'm at on it.

Just wondering if anybody else has hunting/mountain trucks that they enjoy tinkering with for off-roading, winter predator hunting, etc... If so, I'd love to hear what works and doesn't work.

Definitely do the true trac if it's available for the front. They flat out work.
I spend a lot of time in the high desert with lots of deep snow /mud and large washouts but also largely void of winch anchors so In my opinion you need a highlift jack and bumpers that you can use it on plus a winch anchor like the pull pal.
Because I'm cheap I carry the gear to build a picket anchor in my Jeep at all times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b34Im0qlXOQ

Can you post a picture of your Sport Trac? On the right trac with the way you have your Ford outfitted. Sounds like it will take you wherever you need to go! The winch, tires, and locker have gotten me into (and out of) lots of trouble.
I bought my 1985 EFI Toyota Truck in 2000 from the original owner with 99k miles. Now, its at 160k and runs better than ever. If had to choose between that and my 1-ton dodge diesel I bought brand new in 2008, the dodge would be gone in a heartbeat.
I love both of my trucks and they help me with ranching and hunting jobs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 4,198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,354
For snow, you want heavy. Which a sport trac is not. For mud, you want light with a big footprint. Sounds like you have built a decent mud rig.

My next hunting rig is going to be made by Zamberlan I think.

Can you post a picture of your Sport Trac? On the right trac with the way you have your Ford outfitted. Sounds like it will take you wherever you need to go! The winch, tires, and locker have gotten me into (and out of) lots of trouble.
I bought my 1985 EFI Toyota Truck in 2000 from the original owner with 99k miles. Now, its at 160k and runs better than ever. If had to choose between that and my 1-ton dodge diesel I bought brand new in 2008, the dodge would be gone in a heartbeat.
I love both of my trucks and they help me with ranching and hunting jobs.

I had a 1985 Toyota EFI 4 cylinder/5 speed with the straight front axle like yours. It's get just about anywhere I can get now with my Yamaha Rhino. The pre-86 solid axle ones are the ones to get. The 86-up Toyotas had independent front suspension for a better ride, but they sucked for off road IMO.

For snow, you want heavy. Which a sport trac is not. For mud, you want light with a big footprint. Sounds like you have built a decent mud rig.

My next hunting rig is going to be made by Zamberlan I think.

It really depends on the snow conditions. When the snow gets a crust, the depth is over 20" or the drifts get over 4' you want to drive on top. You really can't make generalized comments about snow conditions because it can completely change in a few hours.
This morning you might drive a diesel truck through 20" of powder but if it gets warm today tomorrow it will be 15" of hard frozen slush and a heavy truck has no chance while a light rig with wide tires and low ground pressure can drive like it's pavement. An example would be drifts in the spring.

It really depends on the snow conditions. When the snow gets a crust, the depth is over 20" or the drifts get over 4' you want to drive on top. You really can't make generalized comments about snow conditions because it can completely change in a few hours.
This morning you might drive a diesel truck through 20" of powder but if it gets warm today tomorrow it will be 15" of hard frozen slush and a heavy truck has no chance while a light rig with wide tires and low ground pressure can drive like it's pavement. An example would be drifts in the spring.

Fair enough, We both are talking about completely different snow conditions in general also. Mountains vs wind swept plains.

I've had light trucks, and yes they ride on top for a bit, but eventually always fall through. Heavier trucks can at least dig to find some traction. But that is again my experience on the plains, not the mountains.

I've had good luck in deep snow with the Toyota when I air down to 6-10 psi. Also works well on slick rock, but be careful on the rocks without bead locks on your wheels. I also liked the 33x10.50 BFG MT in snow, but it was a little too narrow and I tipped it over on both sides.

elkmagnet, thanks for the tip on the picket anchor, I'm definitely going to get one of those put together and keep it with the winch. Too many times I have been in northern NM during January when it is -30F and with no trees in sight. So far, chains have been enough to get out but having that picket anchor could save my bacon some day.

el unit, I've never aired down tires for snow before, but I've heard it works almost as well as putting on chains... I'm glad to hear it has worked for you. Here's the truck as she sits today. I don't have any cool pics yet since I just bought it, so this is just in my driveway but you get the idea

20160601_181357.jpg

Thanks again guys for the advice/input. It is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I, along with my 300k Ranger, will agree to disagree :). I do like the Tacomas too though.

I put a 100k on my 2000 Ranger before I traded it in for an F-150 in 2006. I still miss that truck. A local glass company bought it and I still see it driving around town with their logo on the side. 16 years old and still going strong. It has gotta have a ton of miles on it too since its their shop truck.

This Sport Trac (which is basically a 4-door Ranger) has 107,000 miles on it and is as tight as the day it rolled off the line. I've had great luck with them.

I, along with my 300k Ranger, will agree to disagree :). I do like the Tacomas too though.

Lol..I just like giving the Ford guys a hard time. I sold my Taco a few years back with 376k on it. It was still going strong. I now have a 96 and 98 4runner which is better for the kiddos. I can't imagine having anything else those things are absolute beasts off road.

Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Dodg, it's like asking which is the best rifle. It's a fun discussion though.

I think it looks pretty darn sharp and very well thought out! I had a 85 Jeep CJ-7 that I sure miss. Kind of like your little truck. If I could drive on it I could also turn around on it. Something you cannot do in a larger truck.

I didn't hear you mention a good shovel and a couple of the stretchy tow straps. Even with a winch those things really come in handy.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back