Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Motorcycle Suggestions

Find yourself a small used car. There is no way in heaven I'd ride a motorcycle in Boise now a days. I stopped riding in Boise over 30 years ago. One day while in town came close to 7 times being hit. That was enough for me. And 30 years ago there wasn't anyone on the roads compared too today.

My pard has hunted all over ID with a Honda XR 400. That said, he commutes with a Honda Civic.

He's a fan of the 350-400cc 4-stroke dual sports for hunting. Does everything he needs it to do. I've seen him pack out loads with that bike that if I hadn't seen it'd be hard to believe.

Not too long ago, I was in a similar boat as far as a commute. At least for me, I couldn't make the purchase of a car I was willing to buy pencil out vs. just driving my truck. I didn't go to a car until my wife got a new one and I drove her old one.

I don't consider myself to even be a bike guy.

If you're not already familiar with bikes, you need to take a safety class before you ride on the road, period. Riding on a public street around vehicles full of distracted idiots is a much different experience than tooling up and down trails in the woods, and it's a really good way to get killed if you don't know what you're doing.

I got a DRZ 400 with 14 k on it . Bought it used. Fun fun fun bike. I wouldnt want to do more than 10-20 miles on it on the highway though. It gets buzzy, and the seat kills your butt, and fighting the wind sucks! 15-20 mph wind forget about it unless you like being wore out . Will wheelie for days though .

Have you looked into leasing a car? Not sure if you are talking strictly highway miles or off road but you could get into a Chevy Cruze for example for pretty reasonable. Great gas mileage, good insurance rates, and you get a full warranty if anything went bad as opposed to an old clinker that will probably end up having issues if you end up using it alot. You could probably get into something for a reasonable monthly payment for a couple years and then turn the keys in. I'm not big on leasing myself but it does have it's perks for certain situations. Just an idea

Almost across the board leases are capped at 12k miles/year.

My wife and I have a 70 mile round trip daily commute, and have had good luck with Ford Focus'. 35-40 mpg, cost much less than a comparable civic/corolla/prius, and are surprisingly reliable. The only downside is they have horrible resale, but with how many miles we put on them that's a small factor.

I forgot about this post. Thanks for all of the replies guys. I ended up picking up an old 96' accord after I posted this thread. It was a great car, I had it for 2.5 years.

I actually just upgraded in December to a 2016 hybrid. My first 3 tanks of gas were 38mpg's, 41 and 39.5 mpg's.

No question ktm 500 with street tire. The switch tire use as hunting exploring bike. The new crf450 x looks like it could compete with ktm also. I may be inclined to go with the Honda but haven’t ridyone

Sad this was an old post....
Anyway for a dual purpose bike for commuting and hunting there are several that will work and even haul your hunting gear and boned out deer or antelope.
Kawasaki KLR 650
Honda XR650
Suzuki DR 650
URAL side car 2 wheel drive will work in snow and can haul a boned out ell in the side car!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back