Caribou Gear Tarp

Motorcycle Suggestions

ida homer

With my new job I'm commuting a ton, which isn't making sense with the F-150. My options are to sell the truck, not happening, buy a little 4 cylinder car or a motorcycle for my daily.

If I can find a bike that I can hunt with I'll go that route. A buddy mentioned a Suzuki DRZ. I wouldn't want to commute on a TW, but any other options or suggestions I should consider?

depends on where you live and how heavy is the commute.
I commuted for a few years exclusively on a bike (motorcycle) during the nicer months in a metropolitan area. Parking was always free. The economics of riding a bike 5 months of the year were great (45-50 mpg, little maintenance). the safety wasn't.
If you are in the city/freeway I wouldn't go with less than a 600 cc with a pipe that has 'some' volume. It has enuf power to get you out of trouble. I would be as loud and visible as possible. I spent all of my time on the road expecting the cars and trucks would do the dumbest things possible to pick me off - and they didn't disappoint.
If you are not able to walk at the end of the summer you're not going hunting. Good helmet to start. Just mho, but if you are going to ride a scooter you might as well just have a target on your back. Good luck.

Yeah I can see the safety side of it for sure. I appreciate the insight. Not interested in a scooter, that's plain sketchy.

I've got a Suzuki DR350 that I commuted with alot when I lived in town. All city driving with max speed of 35 mph. Worked Great! Always be on the defensive, but I was never scared for my safety.

Now we live where I would have about 10 miles of "highway driving" at 70 mph. I haven't made that commute yet. If I do I'll opt for a longer route through the backroads.

I ride quite a bit for pleasure...you simply cannot fathom the amount of distracted drivers these days. Cell phones kill much faster than cigarettes.

Emergency room staff use the term "doner-cycles".
They don't come with seat belts or air bags.

I will always recommend a modern triumph, like the Bonneville or scrambler. I have had mine for 12 years and have 60,000 miles on it. Never had a issue with it. Fantastic Bikes.

If you want some offroad capability with highway manners as well, check out the KLR 650. They are an absolute tank, easy to work on and have taken legions of their riders all over the world. All with a price tag 1/3 of most bikes.

If you insist on a bike...The DRZ-s 400 is outstanding. KLR 650 is excellent as well. Both will comfortably cruise at 60 mph. The DRZ will handle much better on trails, but the KLR is a durable time-tested design.

I had both for a few years and loved the ride, but like Noharley said, death or worse, is imminent.

Drivers just do not see you. period. Even with a white helmet and yellow riding jacket, they do not see you.

In a three year period I had two near collisions. One with a vehicle, the other with a deer. Both would have been a bad lesson in physics.

If numbers speak to you, do the math. $3k to get a decent used bike, add insurance and maintenance. There is NO way that adds up to buying more fuel for your existing F150.

Stick with your current ride, and if you must ride a bike, stay off the pavement.

Last edited:
I don't insist on a bike, and I don't consider myself to even be a bike guy. But if I could kill 2 birds with one stone then I'll consider it.

I drive much more than you think. As between the $1200 tires I'll be going through every 12-18 months, at 10mpg, a motorcycle or a small car are substantial savings. Moto insurance for me is $100/year. I also wanna continue to keep my miles really low on my Ford.

Thanks for the insight on the DRZ. The safety issue is the only reason I don't pull the trigger on a bike today, and probably while I'll end up with a car. Shit I guess I have fit an elk in the back of my high school Mazda Protege, can't do that with a bike.

I looked hard at the DRZ 400, but ended up with a WR 250 R instead. I really liked the fuel injection and the 6 speed transmission. Add in the fact that it is a little lighter, better suspension and much more off road capable and you are good to go. They are a lot harder to find used though. I wouldn't buy a new DRZ 400, they haven't changed in about 15 or 20 years.

Have you looked into leasing a car? Not sure if you are talking strictly highway miles or off road but you could get into a Chevy Cruze for example for pretty reasonable. Great gas mileage, good insurance rates, and you get a full warranty if anything went bad as opposed to an old clinker that will probably end up having issues if you end up using it alot. You could probably get into something for a reasonable monthly payment for a couple years and then turn the keys in. I'm not big on leasing myself but it does have it's perks for certain situations. Just an idea

IMHO buy a small car. I bought one 4 years ago and haven't regretted it yet. Paid cash so liability only ins, and gets good gas mileage and keeps miles off the truck. It's been a real cost saver for us, plus it's safer on the road as people don't see the bikes like they should. Had a friend buy one and I one summer he decided to sell it due to 1 almost collision, 1 almost collision with a deer and one collision with a buzzard.

Honestly, I loved riding but after being rear ended by a dingus in a mini van and doing a couple of tumbles down the road I decided to sell it. Yes I miss it, but if I needed fuel mileage I would buy an older civic.

I love motorcycles but will probably never have one on the pavement. My dad had a custom chopper and had quite a few near collisions before he sold it, people just dont look out for things that small. His cousin in California was killed while riding. I would just go with the small car and be safe.

I rode motorcycles for over 30 years before I quit due to health reasons. Ride like everyone on the road is out to kill you.....they are. That strategy worked for me. Buy a small car or mini truck instead is my advice.

Back