Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

High Altitude Mask For Training?

...........I guess I'm in the reality tv show site now.
Tips on Everest Adventures next?
Waxing ? Is it a ski ? lol

Doping, we have the centrifuges, it's just a matter of figuring out the heparin dosage to avoid clotting and the re-injection mechanism ie intravenous/intramuscular.

Now I can eat Double Front and still hunt at altitude in The Bob.

This isn't a USADA sanctioned event. Just get yourself hopped up on EPO, no one will be testing for it.

I see no reason why restricting the oxygen intake to your lungs would not also trigger your body to produce more red blood cells to more efficiently transfer the oxygen it was receiving. I'm obviously not a doctor but it seems plausible to me.

I see no reason why restricting the oxygen intake to your lungs would not also trigger your body to produce more red blood cells to more efficiently transfer the oxygen it was receiving. I'm obviously not a doctor but it seems plausible to me.

Here is why:

The air you are breathing in has the same oxygen density as the air without the mask. Your body doesn't realize the difference between wearing the Hannibal Lechner mask or running hard up a hill. Restricting the air volume could help you to improve your VO2max. However, a four inch piece of duct tape with 1/2" hole in the middle, placed over your mouth will achieve the same thing.

When you go up in altitude, the air is not as dense and there is not as much oxygen per liter of air. When you experience these conditions over a period of time (i.e. at least several days) your body recognizes the lower oxygen content and makes hormonal changes that stimulate a change in your blood cell composition to allow for more efficient oxygen transport. It takes several weeks for this system to fully come into equilibrium for the change in altitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized that I have the equipment in our office to do this. Where's the "wheels turning" emoticon. LOL

I have a mountain bike race in a week, can you hook a brotha up?

Here is why:

The air you are breathing in has the same oxygen density as the air without the mask. Your body doesn't realize the difference between wearing the Hannibal Lechner mask or running hard up a hill. Restricting the air volume could help you to improve your VO2max. However, a four inch piece of duct tape with 1/2" hole in the middle, placed over your mouth will achieve the same thing.

So you disagree that it will raise his red blood cell count but agree that it will help him improve his ability to perform athletically at a high altitude by increasing his Vo2max?
After reading a few articles This seems to be the case.

When you go up in altitude, the air is not as dense and there is not as much oxygen per liter of air. When you experience these conditions over a period of time (i.e. at least several days) your body recognizes the lower oxygen content and makes hormonal changes that stimulate a change in your blood cell composition to allow for more efficient oxygen transport. It takes several weeks for this system to fully come into equilibrium for the change in altitude.

So if you are using the altitude mask trying to avoid something like altitude sickness it would be useless but if you're trying to use it to increase your cardiovascular efficiency at altitude it may very well increase the results you see from your cardio workout sessions.
The only time I see it not working is if your cardio system is in good enough shape to out-work your pulmonary system which is not common for a healthy person- except for athletes at high altitude so....

Yes, it can help your cardiovascular efficiency, but it's still a waste of money. All you have to do for free to achieve the same result is work harder so that you go into the same level of hypoxia. One would be much better served to spend the money on a heart rate monitor and use that to make sure they are training efficiently.

Think of it this way, I could either:

1) Run up a 10% grade at a 12 minute/mile pace with my $100 mask on OR
2) Run up a 10% grade at a 10 minute/mile pace without a mask

Of course these numbers are arbitrary, but you are achieving the exact same thing. Plus, by running faster you are recruiting more muscle fibers and recognizing strength gains at the same time. So essentially you are spending money to recognize fewer gains overall.

As a fellow flat lander that lives at 100' above sea level, I literally feel your pain regarding high altitude.
What works best for me is:
1) Train hard and be in the best condition that you can be in
2) The Wilderness Athlete Altitude Advantage seems to decrease the effects of being at altitude (9,000'+). I have used it for the past 3 years and will continue using it.
3) Hydration / Nutrition: The Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover works great for me, better than water alone. It makes a difference during training too. Also, make sure you are eating often and enough of the right things.
4) Sleep: Being exhausted can make you more prone to feel the effects of high altitude.
5) Start slower and get acclimated

Good Luck

I suggest working out prior to the trip. Maybe hiking a local ski mountain(if available) with a weighted pack. Also stay hydrated when you are out there. I brought, as more of a joke on one of my elk hunts with a few older friends cans of "O2 unleashed" which are small cans of 95 % oxygen. If you really get out of breath or start to have a headache, take a few puffs. I think they actually worked haha

First of all, kudos to everyone who is thinking about this and is doing something about it, whatever you are doing it is better than not training.

The mask may not work as advertised but if it makes you work harder and helps you psychologically, why not?

Crap, anything that gets me up and moving is ok in my book. Even if I know that some things are better than others for results, I'm still doing something to work towards the goal of being able to get around at high altitude with a pack on.

We here in Southern Nevada are at least fortunate that there is a range close by with a peak approaching 12k elev. Not always convenient to get to but augmenting training through some other high intensity activity be it running hills with weighted pack, crossfit, ski erg, rowing, swimming, sprints, etc, etc is all helpful....even wearing some kind of silly mask....then head back up to the 12k trail to test out progress....one can do similar activities anywhere.

As previously suggested: arrive at altitude early- several days if possible. Camp (sleep) at lower altitude than you are hunting. Drink plenty (Lots!!) of fluids, not including alcohol or caffeine. If your pee is dark, you are not drinking enough. I am from New Orleans average altitude is 10' I hunt in Chama every year (since 1990). I stay in town at 7800 feet, and the Ranch is uphill from there, some places above 10000' (Chromo Mountain). I take the previously mentioned Wilderness Athlete Altitude Advantage, starting it two days before I leave New Orleans, and continue it for the entire trip until I leave to head back to New Orleans. I also drink the WA Hydrate & Recover several times a day, and constantly while hunting (Camelbak). I have found the supplements and Hydrate & Recover help immensely. I have been using them about 10 years, and will continue to do so.

First of all, kudos to everyone who is thinking about this and is doing something about it, whatever you are doing it is better than not training.

The mask may not work as advertised but if it makes you work harder and helps you psychologically, why not?

Crap, anything that gets me up and moving is ok in my book. Even if I know that some things are better than others for results, I'm still doing something to work towards the goal of being able to get around at high altitude with a pack on.

We here in Southern Nevada are at least fortunate that there is a range close by with a peak approaching 12k elev. Not always convenient to get to but augmenting training through some other high intensity activity be it running hills with weighted pack, crossfit, ski erg, rowing, swimming, sprints, etc, etc is all helpful....even wearing some kind of silly mask....then head back up to the 12k trail to test out progress....one can do similar activities anywhere.

If it makes you feel better , buy it. The reality is the money is better spent on new running shoes.

I travel a bit for work. Whenever you have the opportunity to be on a plane, hit the restroom (they are tiny). And do cross fit haaaarrrd until the flight attendant kicks you out of the restroom.
Typically you can get a good. 20 min work out in, which at 30, 000 feet is way better than any elevation mask.
If you are lucky, there might be rest rooms at the front AND the back of the plane, doubling your opportunity to train.
;)

I travel a bit for work. Whenever you have the opportunity to be on a plane, hit the restroom (they are tiny). And do cross fit haaaarrrd until the flight attendant kicks you out of the restroom.
Typically you can get a good. 20 min work out in, which at 30, 000 feet is way better than any elevation mask.
If you are lucky, there might be rest rooms at the front AND the back of the plane, doubling your opportunity to train.
;)

If you could do that, the way things are nowadays, you'd have more than the attendant kicking you out to deal with after you hit the ground.

I get altitude sickness almost every time above 9000ft.Only thing that works for me is hydrating well beforehand and time on the mountain.I get up there I get sick,sleep for half a day and I'm over It.:cool:

;)

Planes are pressurized so there is no lack of air. Do you really think all those people would be able to sit there if they were really breathing what little air is present at 30,000 feet?
There would be no benefit to working out in the bathroom even if it is at 30,000 ft. elevation. They would probably break the door down much sooner than those 20 minutes.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back