Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

High Altitude Mask For Training?

genesis273

After my last elk hunt, which averaged between 8500-10,000', I realized within the first hundred yards that it was going to be a tough two weeks for this 650' elevation hunter.
I'm going back this Sept, and I have really amp up my daily work out, and serious weight loss (163 at 5'7" and 48 yo). Some folks have told me to try training with an High Altitude Mask. I've heard/read mostly positives, but am wondering if any of you have tried it and maybe have any pros/cons. Most of the reviews that were in favor of the mask referred to athletic workout routines. But if it does work, it should work for preparation of an upcoming high altitude hunt.

I've never used one but have no doubt that they do work. What i have used though is a painters mask, which costs pennies on the dollar compared to the altitude mask.

The high altitude masks just make it harder to breathe and doesn't actually simulate the lower atmospheric pressure and Oxygen levels, correct? It seems when you head higher you're not limited by the amount of air you get, you're limited by the amount of oxygen in the air and how your body uses it.

Probably get the same results by taping a pillow over your face.

hahahaha!!

a guy I talked elk with on a job site a while back said last year he used the wilderness athlete high altitude stuff a couple weeks prior to his hunt and during his hunt and he said he didn't feel as terrible as he used to in his previous hunts at the same location.

Don't know the guy, he was just wearing an RMEF hat so I naturally had to talk to him lol

I don't think masks really have the claimed benefits. Physical activity above 8000ft is difficult because of the lower partial pressure of O2 in the air, causing your cardiopulmonary system to work harder to transport O2 to your cells. A mask doesn't change the O2 content of what you breathe, just makes your diaphragm work harder to inhale/exhale. To actually simulate high altitude training you'd need to run on a treadmill in a hypobaric chamber, or some other expensive setup. Training at altitude itself is falling out of favor - a more current concept is to sleep high / train low. Training low allows you to run/bike faster (more O2), and sleeping high while you recover stimulates your body to produce more red blood cells. Then again, a lot of the people advocating this are trying to sell you something (hypobaric sleep systems).

Losing weight and cardio/strength training are probably your best bets. Also, getting to altitude a few days early to rest and adapt can help. Not an MD, but have competed in endurance sports and read up on training techniques.

The high altitude masks just make it harder to breathe and doesn't actually simulate the lower atmospheric pressure and Oxygen levels, correct? It seems when you head higher you're not limited by the amount of air you get, you're limited by the amount of oxygen in the air and how your body uses it.

This is my understanding of them as well..

Waste of money. If you are coming from low elevation its going to take you a few days to acclimate. Being in shape expedites the process.

I have heard that guys that are going to hunt some seriously high elevation, where acute mountain sickness/HAPE/HACE are a threat, use an altitude tent over their bed weeks leading up to the hunt, primarily for health reasons. This is really only when you are going to be getting about 12-13k. You can get AMS below that, and it becomes much more prevalent over 10k.

In my experience, as guy that lives at about 900ASL and over the last few years has traveled west to hunt and ski 3-5 times a year, you best bet is to just be in shape. The mask thing might offer some help in keeping your heart rate up during resistance training; which is good, but I cannot see any advantage when you are doing cardio.

The nice thing is that the more times you go out and experience elevation, the faster you will acclimate next time.

http://www.hypoxico.com/

I'll echo what others have said. Acclimate before you start hunting is the best thing you can do. This is the single most important thing about altitude that gets overlooked. The older we get and the worse shape we are in the more we need it. Alcohol makes it harder as does dehydration. If you can show up a couple of days early and drink tons of water and laze around it will do wonders. There is a good section in "medicine for mountaineering" about altitude. The better your cardio capacity is the better you will do.

The mask isn't going to do shit for you other than waste some of your money. I saw a guy running in one last night and just laughed to myself. What a marketing joke.

The best thing you can do as a flatlander going to high altitude is do high intensity interval training. If you want to spend money, buy something like the Insanity workout series and do that regularly. Or, go find a hill and run up it interval style. For free.

Thanks for the input guys, which all makes sense. I'll just stick with my heavy pack hikes, treadmill and road running on an alternate daily basis, also regular working out, and am getting down to my "ideal" weight, which will by 155lbs. That, along with driving to Montana, which adds an extra day at 6-7000' before hiking up. And just accept the fact that the first day or two may be tough.

I was wondering about the same mask. I asked a trainer at our gym, and he said its a joke. I don't know the science why it doesnt work, but I don't want to starve my brain of oxygen when I am running on the treadmill lol.

Swimming,rowing,biking& walking daily are good cardio & endurance things to do year round,IMHO. Too bad I'm so far from the ocean now.
I lived near the coast and regularly went to the Sierra's.I always just hung around and drank lots of water for a day or so then go.12-14k no problemo.
I have had altitude sickness twice.Both times from dehydration and over doing it too soon.

blood doping.

Now we are getting serious. Maybe Lance will chime in and give us the scoop.

On a serious note. If you are curious about your bodies ability to function at altitude, a decent indicator is your VO2 max; which is basically a measurement of your bodies ability to process oxygen into your bloodstream. If you can improve this rate, you will ensure that you are getting the maximum benefit from each breath.

Doping, we have the centrifuges, it's just a matter of figuring out the heparin dosage to avoid clotting and the re-injection mechanism ie intravenous/intramuscular.

Now I can eat Double Front and still hunt at altitude in The Bob.

Doping, we have the centrifuges, it's just a matter of figuring out the heparin dosage to avoid clotting and the re-injection mechanism ie intravenous/intramuscular.

Now I can eat Double Front and still hunt at altitude in The Bob.

They should still let you in the Boone and Crockett book, just with an *

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back