Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado Mountain Goat.... A novel in the making....

sneakem

Recently I found out that I was the lucky recipient of a Colorado mountain goat tag. For me, its a hunt that I have been dreaming about since my teenage years, which some may say was not that long ago, but believe me... in reality... time flies as I'm screaming along, nearly 40. This is not going to be some epic thread about " look at me, I'm going to kill the biggest billy ever". In fact... I decided this year that I would opt out of my normal interest to pursue the big bad billy and throw my points at a nanny only tag.

Now you might be saying... " Why on earth would someone do this?" Believe me there was a lot of thought behind this. I am a numbers guy, kinda my job to be good with numbers. Through the years of unsuccessful drawings and crunching draw stats, I always believed that I stood a great chance at drawing a tag as every year has gone past. I've got friends working on a couple of goat tags, a couple of friends working towards their third sheep tag. Me... nada, zip, zero, zilch!! It wasn't really until Colorado released the stats last year showing specific data on the point groups that I realized how dismal the situation could be. It really is a crap shoot to draw a tag. Even a max point holder could potentially be in this things without drawing for another 20 years or more. Not to mention when you throw the thousands of applicants only building points into the mix.

So that leads me to the nanny tag.... I love to hunt for the biggest baddest animal in the forest just as much as anybody, but in reality I've never been the guy that had to have the biggest. I've shot several "book" quality animals, but I have never entered one... never will. In reality I just like to hunt.. and I want to hunt goats...NOW!!! Nannies look almost identical, they live in the same crappy spots, it still takes some luck to draw a tag. So I picked a unit with plenty of goats and good odds, plenty of crappy vertical country, plenty of hunters too and hoped for the best because I probably won't live forever. I may some day put back in and hope the "odds will ever be in my favor" for a billy hunt after my waiting period. At that point I may not care if I draw or not, having had a taste of hunting "A beast the color of winter".

I have no delusions about this hunt... I chose it for a reason. First the country. I grew up not to far from the "Bells", as a matter of fact I had "Zero" fear of heights until a trip to the bells in my early twenties. I was nearly a slip away from being one of those who were scooped up off the rocks in those mountains, which have rightly earned their notorious moniker. I narrowly dodged fate, and have developed a respect for those rugged mountains. I lust for the adventure that those big mountains provide, as I know this can be a physically demanding as I want to make it.

I know there are easier places to get a goat, I want an adventure. I know there are going to be thousand of hikers and climbers and 29 other goat hunters, tons of other hunters but alas, my adventure has come. I fully intend to drag you all through the painful months of waiting, planning, preparing and execution of this hunt...my hunt of a lifetime... I feel very fortunate to have drawn this tag...

The training and diet begins....
13230087_10208137119779656_9042331559223785915_n.jpg

Hey.... its a start... I didn't eat the crust...
I had to throw that one out there for Moosie... To be continued!!

Last edited:
Good for you! Love that guys hunt for their own priorities. I've been considering doing the same. Maybe after helping my buddy chase his Wy goat this fall, I'll be smitten and ready to do my own goat hunt. Excited to see how it turns out. Will enjoy following along.
-Cade

I felt like I was reading my own mind when you got to the point of the realization of how tough it is to draw a Mtn Goat tag in Colo. As a non res I also almost went the way of a nanny this year then backed out because of peer pressure. What a wimp I am. Good luck to you and keep us updated on your adventure.

Page 1...

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, …”

Just subscribing. I put a nanny tag or two in the rotation each year for the same reasons.

Good luck!

This will be a great experience for me, I've been building to this point for the last quarter century. Its been an emotional roller coaster ride. The highs and excitement of putting in and hoping the best, to the sting or rejection... (insert Dinkshooter...;) ) No matter how many times it happens its not any easier to swallow. There were years earlier that the changing of the points system removed those from the upper end of the list and back to even playing ground with everyone else. Over the years I've wondered, or I should say feared, that it could happen again. I was young and raising a family not to long after that, there were a couple years I just couldn't justify applying because I had a young family and no extra cash. Sure I still put in for everything I could afford, deer, elk, the usual "cheapies". I just couldn't explain the addition fee for the "exotic" hunting adventure. Those years were hard to swallow as I felt I was falling behind, giving up my chance. I can't explain the elation that I felt when I read the words successful. The selfish exuberance coursing through my veins, I couldn't help it. I'm not really an emotional guy but at points it nearly brings you to tears when you think about the opportunity that lies ahead.

Changing course.... I think that a lot of people take these hunts too lightly. I hear so many times, I put in for this tag, but I know nothing about it. Let me tell you that I am not going in unprepared, I'll still ask for information from who ever is willing to give it but I am capable of doing it on my own. I was a hunting/ fishing guide for almost 20 years, believe me I am prepared. I'd sleep at night dreaming about how I'd hunt the next day, about back up plans if the wind was wrong etc. I hadn't put a lot of time into researching G12 as I had been applying in other areas. But I have spent some time in there, albeit many years ago before the goats were so prolific in there. So I started researching my unit, of which there are many great tools to do so. I started by plotting each and every kill site, converting UTM's etc to lat/long, pinning them on google earth with the sexes labeled. I know you can pay for this information but again, I like to do it myself. Being that I have a nanny tag, I though it important to locate the concentrations of nannies as their social groups are much different than that of the often isolated billies. There are a few areas that they are repeatedly taken which leaves me to believe that there has to be nursery groups in these areas. For those who don't know there is a ton of info that the CPW provides free of charge if you put the time to actually look for it. The hunting Atlas, harvest locations, draw information, game management plans, etc. Too often we bash our own wildlife departments for whatever reason, but I have to say that they provide a lot of great information that takes a ton of time to compile.... and they put it out there for anyone to use... for free...props

Google is a wonderful tool, and the internet has changed the game of hunting. I searched forums, you tube, hiking and climbing sites, looking at pictures. You can pull a lot of info from doing a little leg work. Background in pictures give away a lot of information. Hikers love to take pictures of goats, and often there is a lot of scenery in the background. Obviously I'm not going to put everything that I learned out here for everyone to read, but my point being that anyone can put a little effort into researching their hunt.

Continuing with being prepared. A lot of people idealize the thought of these hunts, but underestimate the feat that lie ahead. People draw, wait for their hunt, get out there, and get their azz handed to them...physically... mentally. I am not in the shape that I was a few years ago, I now have a desk job. Don't get me wrong, I'm 6'1" and 180lbs, I can climb a 14er at any time, run a mile or two at elevation, but to me... I am no where near "Sheep Shape" or in this case "Goat Shape". Even when I was guiding, I hiked every day, packed out 60-80 big game animals a year, this type of hunting was tough. Sure there are the exceptions in areas, but high mountain hunting can wear on the best of conditioned hunters. I am sure that there will be plenty of posts to come with some sort of training involved..;)

Ironically enough, the kids have a tournament this weekend and I'll be staying in Aspen. My first look this year at the "Bells" will come in just a few short hours. I'll be so near, I'll hear that wilderness calling my name. Don't get me wrong, there is not going to be any scouting as the high country is far from accessible. Its going to be like dangling a steak in front of a lion!!

Looking forward to hearing about your adventure. Mountain goat is one of my dream hunts here in NV along with desert bighorn. Since I've never hunted mtn goat and maybe never will I'm wondering how hard or easy it is to tell a nanny from a billy. How do you tell the difference?
We have some new bighorn ewe hunts here and the difference between rams and ewes is quite obvious.

Sad to see such a mistake made so early in the journey...

Fortunately I have a little background in surveying and understand the complexities with UTM and Lat/Long. Unfortunately the CPW uses a UTM grid on almost every location, occasionally you get (Township, range, section) and occasionally a lat/long. Frankly if I end up same section... That's close enough... I'm not doing a boundry survey...;) I'm familiar with the UTM grid they use... I mark an X close and then find the corresponding area on google earth and drop a pin...

Fortunately I have a little background in surveying and understand the complexities with UTM and Lat/Long. Unfortunately the CPW uses a UTM grid on almost every location, occasionally you get (Township, range, section) and occasionally a lat/long. Frankly if I end up same section... That's close enough... I'm not doing a boundry survey...;) I'm familiar with the UTM grid they use... I mark an X close and then find the corresponding area on google earth and drop a pin...
LOL! I much prefer UTM and am used to it. Just like to bust folks chops that use lat/long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back