Saying goodbye to one of the games GOAT

Jamen

Growing up a Lakers fan I have seen Kobe my entire life. After news of his retirement I knew it was bittersweet but one cannot play forever. Being the Jordan or the Wilt of my generation I see things differently than other generations. No matter your views on him ball hog, self centered, forcing Shaq out of LA, one cannot deny his love and passion for the game.

He was very at peace with his exit of a game and life and for that I respect tremendously. How last nights game finished I don't think movie writers could have made a better ending besides winning the championship. Yes he shot 50 times and made less than half but putting up 60 in your final game making shots that we saw him make more than a decade ago made me smile.

I haven't found my "game" in life yet, I am still looking for it. But when I do find it I hope that I can show the same passion and love for it like he did. Thanks for the memories enjoy your retirement you earned it!!

I am a Utah fan. I have never liked Kobe. Nevertheless, I watched the entire game last night not because Utah was playing, but because it was the last time to see one of the best players in history take the court. Watching Kobe beat Utah (again) last night reminded me why I have never liked him as a player: He is good, damn good. It was a game to remember and I will miss seeing him in the purple and gold.

His last play ever was an assist ;)

All kidding aside, it was tough for me to see him go. The man has played at arguably the highest level from pretty much the time I picked up a basketball. I fully expect him to be successful in whatever path he chooses from here.

I am at a weird point in my life where everyone I watched growing up is slowly leaving the games ( Jeter, Favre, Manning, Kobe) and the rookies are younger than me...

I am at a weird point in my life where everyone I watched growing up is slowly leaving the games ( Jeter, Favre, Manning, Kobe) and the rookies are younger than me...
Yep you've gotten old! I remember, all to unfavorably, having that same epiphany.

I am only 24 but I feel old lol sitting in my office looking at baseball players who are years younger than me and football players ready for the draft (hopefully now Carson Wentz goes to the Rams) has me feeling really old.

I'm a Jazz fan, and over the years I developed a real hate for Kobe, thats why it was strange when he announced his retirement I actually felt sad. Kobe burned the Jazz so many times, was un-guardable in more than a handful of games against them, and always seemed very determined to crush them in our arena. Last night Kobe went out in such a Kobe way. Putting up 50 shots, scoring 60 points and burning the Jazz one last time. I think everyone no matter how you've felt about Kobe in the past wanted to see him go out the way he did, and also win the game last night. The Jazz had nothing to gain from a win and Kobe winning it in the 4th was fun to watch for the only time in my life. Love him or hate him, he was basketball for two decades and he was one of the most determined, passionate, and lethal players the game has ever seen or will ever see. Yeah he could be called selfish or a ball hog but he had a drive most players simply don't and there's sadness in knowing the Kobe era has come to an end.

Doesn't matter if you love him or hate him still have to show respect to one of the greatest to ever play the game and everything he has done for the sport

I agree its not the stats that impress me about the man its the passion and dedication he played with for two decades. If you watched the game last night I am sure you got the goosebumps like I did when he would fall back and drain the shot. Or shooting the jumper Driving to the hoop sent chills down my spine. End of an era but a start of a new one too.

I only one day hope I can find that passion in a "game" like he did.

I'm in the same boat and its really weird.

I am the same age as Kobe. I have never really been a fan. When you are a fan of GOAT Jordan then once he is gone it is hard to keep watching.

I haven't watch much NBA since MJ left but I have to say the Warriors are must see TV. Steph Curry is something special. Just fun to watch.

It's crazy that I can remember all the hype of him getting drafted right out of H.S. when I was in H.S. myself and now he's retiring.

I wish I could retire now. Lol.

it's crazy that i can remember all the hype of him getting drafted right out of h.s. When i was in h.s. Myself and now he's retiring.

I wish i could retire now with kobe's money. Lol.

fify

22-50 with 60 points to 4 assists. He definitely went out as Kobe as ever.

Yep. The Black Hole. His Assists/Game were 50% of last season. No intention of getting his teammates in the game or building a leader to emerge for next season. That is the challenge when you are so confident you think the stats lie.

He shot under his average career FG% for the past 3 seasons. No playoff wins the past 3 seasons. The playoff record since the ring in 2010? 9 wins vs. 17 losses. I place that on Kobe. Not able to recruit competent free-agent players. Sucking up way too much of the cap so the rest of the roster was no-names with nominal skills even if Kobe let them touch the ball after they passed once to him on a possession.

Kobe was one of the best for over a decade. The past three seasons were very, very sucky for a Lakers fan.

It's really difficult for me to have an ounce of respect for a guy that had to figure out in court that he was involved in non consensual sex. He may not be a convicted rapist but probably should have been. Good riddance!

That is hard to prove if it happened or not or if she was just out for money. I am not protecting any person who is involved in acts like that I am just saying it was never proven. Does it make it right? That's for your own decision to make. Would it be right had she consented and then later said rape and he sits in jail for a crime he didn't do?

Your not old till your older than every player(besides kickers) in the nfl.

I gotta give it to Kobe he was a great player, and a laker team killer! The reason they're in the state they are is Kobe! I don't knock the guy for wanting to get paid, but the strangle the lakers. Go Warriors!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back