Caribou Gear

I think I got a pointer...help!

huntergirl_19

Hey guys,

About a month ago I got a young dog out of a shelter. I was told he was a lab mix, but I think he's a pointer. He's a little over a year old, and wants to chase birds. Whenever we're out on a walk and he sees one, boom, he wants to chase. He will retrieve his squeaky pheasant toy to me and loves carrying it around in his mouth. He points, but I don't think he can figure out what to point at. His recall is decent, we are working on basic obedience commands. The only thing is, he is very sensitive to corrections, so I'm unsure about introducing an e-collar until he gains more confidence.

I'd like to get him pointing an retrieving birds, and maybe finding shed antlers too. I'll hide his antler around the house and he will sniff it out. Where do I start? I've never trained a bird dog before.

Attachments

• Duke's face small.jpg
    Duke's face small.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 677
Spend some time developing a bond with him. Work on basic obedience and have a good handle on that before you introduce the e-collar.

I'd spend a lot of time working on the retrieving. You're not going to teach him how to point, he'll have to figure that out on his own. Get him out where there are some birds and see what he does, then go from there.

He looks cute! And, he looks like a lab more than anything else. A lab will chase birds as they're flushing type dogs. I had an English Setter and he would not play fetch! He would run like heck after a ball or something I threw, but would sniff it, look at me as if to say "WTF" and leave it there.

I agree with teaching basic commands like sit, stay, kennel, comebackhereNOWdammitall! :)

Cesar says "Rules, Boundaries, Limitations" and "Exercise, Discipline, Affection" in those orders. I agree.

Hunting dogs are awesome. Establish your relationship with the dog but remember they are pack animals so you will need to establish your dominance if you ever want him to listen in the future. After you get the basic commands mastered (which could take a while so be very, very patient) consider force fetching him if you want him as a retriever. Lastly, don't get too excited to use an e-collar. They are very usefull, don't get me wrong, but consider more positive reinforcement through treats (pieces of hot dog) and praise.

Sweet!! Congrats on a good looking dog! I'm in much the same boat you are in with a 6mos old pup that I'm trying not to mess up... ;) Might want to check in on my thread (New Dog Journey) as I've asked lots of questions and gotten lots of answers.

I absolutely do not know what I am talking about, but I have not heard of too many folks with much bird hunting dog training experience advocating an early introduction of an e-collar. FWIW...

Hard to tell for sure from that pic what you might have for breeds. But I know a lot of things get called "Lab mixes" that aren't. We helped hook up a friend with a rescue dog that was billed as a chocolate lab mix, but after seeing him and spending time with him, he was Vizsla in both looks and temperament and I'm pretty sure there wasn't any chocolate lab in there at all!

As others have said, you have to do a lot of basic training before even thinking about an e-collar. The best explanation I ever got was that the e-collar isn't for teaching the commands, its for enforcing them when the dog knows what you're telling him, but chooses not to obey. Big difference. If he's a soft dog, an e-collar may never be the right training tool. You'll just have to wait and see.

Basic obedience is the foundation of everything. Some parts of bird training end up being variations on basic commands. Plus, when you move on to more advanced training and he's having a rough day, its important for confidence (yours and his) to have some basic obedience commands that he knows well so he can have some successes and earn some praise.

Get a good book, and have fun! Its awesome when they actually put it all together.

Thank you everyone!!

Sweet!! Congrats on a good looking dog! I'm in much the same boat you are in with a 6mos old pup that I'm trying not to mess up... ;) Might want to check in on my thread (New Dog Journey) as I've asked lots of questions and gotten lots of answers.

I absolutely do not know what I am talking about, but I have not heard of too many folks with much bird hunting dog training experience advocating an early introduction of an e-collar. FWIW...

Your pup is just adorable! I will enjoy watching his progress. Like you I am trying to introduce everything slowly, starting with sit, down, come. His recall at home is great, his recall at the dog park is 50/50.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gun-dog-richard-a-wolters/1111517204

The Wolters books are good for both bird training and general training.

Along with getting the dog out with live birds, consider buying some wings, or have some of you hunting friends give you a few wings so the dog gets the scent down. Congrats on a cute pup!

Thanks for the suggestion! I got the Monks of New Skete book for basic dog training, but I have not yet picked a bird training book. I will check it out.

I forgot to mention: I bought some quail wings at Bass Pro, and when I offered one to Duke he took it immediately and tried to eat it. I'll be getting something to attach them to.

As others have said, you have to do a lot of basic training before even thinking about an e-collar. The best explanation I ever got was that the e-collar isn't for teaching the commands, its for enforcing them when the dog knows what you're telling him, but chooses not to obey. Big difference. If he's a soft dog, an e-collar may never be the right training tool. You'll just have to wait and see.

Basic obedience is the foundation of everything. Some parts of bird training end up being variations on basic commands. Plus, when you move on to more advanced training and he's having a rough day, its important for confidence (yours and his) to have some basic obedience commands that he knows well so he can have some successes and earn some praise.

Get a good book, and have fun! Its awesome when they actually put it all together.

I do think the e-collar is a long way off, if I ever use it. He really is sensitive, but willing to please and doesn't push boundaries too often :rolleyes: I will continue to reinforce the basics, and I'll post more pictures for you guys!

Beings you have some quail wings give this a try to see if he has any pointing instinct in him. Tie about 5' of line to the tip section of a fishing pole and tie the wing to the other end. Keep it short enough that you can move it fast. Put the wing in front of him and keep jerking it away when he tries to get it. If he has any pointing in him he will eventually stop chasing and point it. I'm not sure how it will work on an older pup, he may be to fast. I raised several litters of Brittany's and did this with all of them but I was able to start them much younger. Good luck, have fun and great job of rescuing a good little dog.

It's been awhile since I've posted, but here's an update on Duke:

I've taken him on a few hikes and he loves all the new smells in the woods :) On the longest hike (about 3 hours), there was a river that he waded in, but he seems to be unsure about swimming. I haven't yet tried to lure him in to deeper water, but he does have webbed paws so I am hopeful that he's a water dog. The other dog in the group was off-leash, playing and swimming. I am still working on his recall and was worried about letting him go off-leash, but he whined and obviously wanted to play, so I went ahead and bought him an e-collar. It has a vibrate function so I can get his attention without shocking him, which I like.

He pretty much has sit, down, and wait. He's not very good at stay if I go into another room where he can't see me, but if I'm in his line of sight he stays just fine. He's doing really well with heel, both on and off-leash. When we practice off-leash, he goes to explore but returns to my side when I call and sits at my feet. He sometimes retrieves to hand, sometimes not, but we are just playing right now. He also hasn't gone into full-on point yet, but he sniffs the air intently with paw raised.

Attachments

• P_20160528_141307.jpg
    P_20160528_141307.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 310
  • P_20160506_200726.jpg
    P_20160506_200726.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 251
Beings you have some quail wings give this a try to see if he has any pointing instinct in him. Tie about 5' of line to the tip section of a fishing pole and tie the wing to the other end. Keep it short enough that you can move it fast. Put the wing in front of him and keep jerking it away when he tries to get it. If he has any pointing in him he will eventually stop chasing and point it. I'm not sure how it will work on an older pup, he may be to fast. I raised several litters of Brittany's and did this with all of them but I was able to start them much younger. Good luck, have fun and great job of rescuing a good little dog.

This is what I was taught way back when I had Brittanys.

I didn't get a chance to try this out when my Dad was in town a few weeks ago. I might be able to try this weekend :)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back