Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Tripod Suggestions for DSLR?

ekramer

I'm interested in getting into filming my own hunts with my Nikon DSLR camera and want to get a camera tripod. Anyone have helpful suggestions on a good lightweight, versatile, tripod?

My experience is "good" and "lightweight" are mutually exclusive. I have a lightweight (2.2lbs) tripod I use when I plan on hiking in a good distance. It works well for glassing but when the wind kicks up, it gets a little shaky and not suitable for filming. I have a heavier tripod (8lbs) that is rock solid even in the wind with a really smooth panhead. Both are Slik brand and I highly recommend them. Great tripods at a great price.

Never heard of RRS tripods, little intrigued. They look like a pretty high quality tripod.

Ekramer, I have a Slik 634 CF with a Leica VH-1 head. For what I want in a tripod I could not be happier. Good compromise between lightweight and packable and staying steady in the wind. The Leica pan head is also under priced for the quality it is in my opinion.

Good and lightweight aren't a problem as long as you have the funds to pay for it.

Which Nikon camera and lenses are you planning on starting out with? That will help us to give better suggestions.

I picked up a compact carbon fiber tripod that is great for travel from a local Minneapolis camera store. It is basically this one available from B&H with a different brand on it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926478-REG/benro_c2350q2k_2_series_carbon_travel_tripod.html

It isn't the tallest or lightest carbon tripod but as long as I don't extend the center shaft it remains quite stable especially if I hang weight on it from the included hook. It comes with an arca Swiss type ball head, but you can easily put any pan head you'd like onto it.

I shoot mostly stills with mine so the fact that I can screw a couple pieces from it together and turn it into a mono pod is Fantastic for shooting in busy places. The best part is that I can easily put it inside of a 22" suitcase or a backpack when I'm traveling.

It is not as tall or stable as my manfrotto aluminum tripod or as light, tall, and stable as my vanguard carbon fiber tripod but those are a pain to travel with. But, it is far superior to the slik tripod I first used for a travel tripod. I was able to pick up this tripod for a little over $200 at an annual tent sale. Click on Fin's Amazon banner when it pops up and search for one there, I'm sure you'll find one for a good price.

Keep an eye out on www.camofire.com, they have an upper grade Vanguard on sale there quite often. I personaly use a SLIK, really like it. The Outdoorsman's tripods are WAY over priced for what you get! My camera nut friends like the Monfrotto's, but they are heavier, kinda spendy and not something you'd wanna backpack into the high country with.

Interesting how we are all over the place with 5 different brands. I think really you need a level set on the specs of the tripod.

Do you really need a tripod that holds a 14 pound device or just 4 pound?
Does is have to weigh less than 3 pounds?
Max height?
With a head or without?
How much do you want to spend?
Do you want sponge legs grips?
Need hooked feet?

You can only compare apples to apples in my book.

I can tell you all day long my Manfrotto 190XDB that holds 11 pounds and weighs in at 3.5 lbs work for every condition for me so far, but I have yet to use it in a 30-40 mph wind in WY. :) Can't get the 190 anymore, but I believe the 290 replaced it.

Answer some or all of those questions then you can put together a short list. Why spend $900 when less than $300 will do :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, folks. the camera is actually a canon rebel xsi with an ef-s 18-55mm lens, not a Nikon like I originally said. (Its my girlfriend's camera and I assumed it was a nikon)

That being said, It definitely does anything too heavy (I don't plan on buying any huge lenses or anything like that)

Max height probably 5-6 feet.

With a head.

I am looking to spend under $200 if that is possible.

I do a lot of elk hunting in the mountains of Wyoming and am constantly on the move, so something that is going to be relatively easy to carry around while i am running up and down all over creation, and relatively easy to set up quickly.

Check out something light like I suggested it may be possible to find a slightly heavier version in aluminum. If you want video capability it needs to be a little more stable than what you need for still photos. With a decent pan head it will work with your girlfriend's camera, a spotting scope, and a decent pair of binos on an adapter too.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I'm interested in getting into filming my own hunts with my Nikon DSLR camera and want to get a camera tripod. Anyone have helpful suggestions on a good lightweight, versatile, tripod?

If you want to do any moving shots (via panning or tilting) you will want to get a leveling fluid head. I use a setup that allows me to switch it up depending on the situation. If video is most important I take the full Benro tripod. If I need to go lighter weight but still want video I put the Benro head on smaller manfrotto legs. Or I can take just the manfrotto tripod, but forfeit the ability to take any moving shots.

Benro s6 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896849-REG/Benro_a2573fs6_A2573F_SERS_2_AL.html

Manfrotto BeFree http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/969739-REG/manfrotto_mkbfra4_bh_befree_compact_travel_photo.html

I realize this would be over $200 (although if you happen to be a student you can get a killer deal on tripods on B&H)

Benro has a lot of other options too, and in my opinion is one of the best quality to price ratios out there.

A decent head is not an option when filiming! panning has to be fluid and smooth or it looks terrible. I use a 501hdv fluid head made by Monfrotto plus I have one of their tripods.

My experience is "good" and "lightweight" are mutually exclusive. I have a lightweight (2.2lbs) tripod I use when I plan on hiking in a good distance. It works well for glassing but when the wind kicks up, it gets a little shaky and not suitable for filming. I have a heavier tripod (8lbs) that is rock solid even in the wind with a really smooth panhead. Both are Slik brand and I highly recommend them. Great tripods at a great price.

Boy isn't that the truth. I've got two of them both fairly heavy. One is to mount my chronograph on the the other pretty much collect's dust. I wish more than I'd like to admit I hadn't left it but sometime's you can compensate by upping the shutter speed. Best thing though is use the light weight one and hang a cord right under the pan. tie on a heavy object that touch's the ground, it actually act's like the tripod is heavier than it is.

I was looking through this thread again and got to thinking. I don't carry a DSLR hunting, I carry a point and shoot in a pouch on my belt. The thing to do IMO is if your going to go take landscape photo's of what ever, leave your 7lb rifle home and take your 7 lb tripod!

I like my Slik tripod with Benro video head. I started with a cheap one from Cabelas (forgot the brand) and now I have the Slik......haven't tried any others and so far I have no need to. I got my current set-up from S&S Archery in Boise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back