Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana HD 455 - Beartooth WMA

You can hunt whitetail deer during the archery only season with a general tag. Just the mule deer requires a permit during archery only.

But rifle season requires the tag for whitetail?

I haven't looked at the regs for that unit in a few years but I was under the impression it was draw for all deer. I could be wrong.

Yes, during rifle season any deer is permit only.

Elk are not hard to find but they are not usually close to the trailhead either.
A weekend of good effort will turn up elk no doubt. Obviously killing one with a bow is no guarantee. Piece of cake up there with a rifle.

Last edited:
We will primarily be hunting Archery. We were wanting to backpack in off the trailhead but it looks like you have to camp in designated camping areas? That will put us starting out with all the horse guys every day if it's true.

It is true, there are only a couple of designated camp areas and you have to camp in those. You are also correct that while walking in you will get passed by the horse guys. You can always wake up earlier though and get where you want to before anybody else.

There are 4 designated camping areas. I had to step over my neighbors wall tent stakes last year it was so full. You will be playing with the horse back crowd. I counted close to 20 truck trailer combos at the trailhead last year.
Stone-Ice can fill you in on how far you will be packing meat lol.....lol......:hump:
I would not shoot a cow in there without horses.
I really think you can find easier archery cows just 50 miles south.

Great country but the elk feel that pressure so push in deep.
Good luck!

This is upper camp last archery season. 12 wall tents stacked together like an Alaskan air strip. Guy brought his wife and kids in who literally chit right in the middle of the trail. No cat hole, nothing. Minnesota guys with headlamps so bright it was like spotlighting plus red blinking lights on the back -apparently they were more concerned with losing each other over spooking out the elk . Looked like a science fiction movie heading up the trail at 4:00am. Thought it was going fist to cuffs for awhile. Craziest scene I've hunted in awhile no doubt.

IMG_0754.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to revive this thread. Was thinking of going here this season since I drew a 900-20 permit. Is the state plot on the north end legal to be camped on. I can imagine so but ive seen you cant camp on the 455 unit at all. or is it just the WMA portion that you cant camp on and forest service, blm, and state free game to camp on?

You can’t camp within the boundary of the WMA unless you’re in a designated campground.

Long pulls to get to elk in the WMA. Archery gets a lot of business so the resident elk tend to get pushed back in deeper.

Howdy folks. Older thread I know, but I drew the 455-20 permit for elk this fall, and thought I'd put a note here to see if anyone on HT has had this permit as well the last couple of years? I'd like to connect with you if so and ask a few questions of you. I am planning on a later season rifle hunt. From what I have learned about the unit, some weather and some snow up high may help move elk in. I am probably going to be on foot, although I know its a popular area for horse hunting for a few reasons. Thank you.

I’m wondering if the 455-20 permit would be a good opportunity for my dad. I am hoping to get my dad to apply for a permit from here on out. Drawing is less of a priority than getting an opportunity at a bull for him. He doesn’t get around great but he’s trying to get away from the pressure of a general unit. We were in the Madison valley for the general season this past year and had to deal with hunters shooting before light, running up on our spot and chasing the elk off of the public land as soon as the snow pushed them down. Everyone in the valley was running their trucks up and down the dirt roads and bailing out and running straight at the herd and taking pot shots. We saw elk wounded and it sounded like Gettysburg in the valley come first light. I don’t know about him but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I’ll continue to hunt the backcountry on a general tag for myself, but I’m looking for something a little easier for him.

I’m wondering if the 455-20 permit would be a good opportunity for my dad. I am hoping to get my dad to apply for a permit from here on out. Drawing is less of a priority than getting an opportunity at a bull for him. He doesn’t get around great but he’s trying to get away from the pressure of a general unit. We were in the Madison valley for the general season this past year and had to deal with hunters shooting before light, running up on our spot and chasing the elk off of the public land as soon as the snow pushed them down. Everyone in the valley was running their trucks up and down the dirt roads and bailing out and running straight at the herd and taking pot shots. We saw elk wounded and it sounded like Gettysburg in the valley come first light. I don’t know about him but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I’ll continue to hunt the backcountry on a general tag for myself, but I’m looking for something a little easier for him.
i think most general areas would be easier than 455 unless you have horses and even with horses one would still have to get around on foot fairly well.

i think most general areas would be easier than 455 unless you have horses and even with horses one would still have to get around on foot fairly well.
Thanks for the advise maybe I'll have to have him apply elsewhere. In the event we take a bull I would be packing out pretty much all the meat myself with the help of whoever else can tag along. My dad can hike okay as long as its not too steep and I'm carrying all the gear. I hadn't hunted with him since I was a kid and assumed he'd be able to keep up in the Gallatin range a couple years back and gassed him out immediately. This year I took it easier on him and mostly hunted the valley with some walkabouts in some mountain meadows to no avail. We took a lot of pictures and saw tons of elk on private/restricted areas but never had a chance at a bull. He had a great time, but the competition was pretty brutal, and I'd like to give the old man a layup while he still has the ability to hike at all.

Thanks for the advise maybe I'll have to have him apply elsewhere. In the event we take a bull I would be packing out pretty much all the meat myself with the help of whoever else can tag along. My dad can hike okay as long as its not too steep and I'm carrying all the gear. I hadn't hunted with him since I was a kid and assumed he'd be able to keep up in the Gallatin range a couple years back and gassed him out immediately. This year I took it easier on him and mostly hunted the valley with some walkabouts in some mountain meadows to no avail. We took a lot of pictures and saw tons of elk on private/restricted areas but never had a chance at a bull. He had a great time, but the competition was pretty brutal, and I'd like to give the old man a layup while he still has the ability to hike at all.
455 is steep country and you will be dealing with lots of hunters if you stay in the easily accessible parts of the unit.

As the others have said, its pretty rugged country. Certainly wouldn't say its one you can get around easily with out a horse. Probably not the best unit for your dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back